Lee
mr o
Ben W
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Historical Merger Discussions Empty Historical Merger Discussions

Post by Ben W Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:39 pm

Was thinking about this the other day and would like to throw it over to the membership of the forum for a discussion. What I am trying to work out, it what teams in the SANFL have had either official or unofficial merger discussions between theirs and another club?

Obviously Woodville and West Torrens, yet what I am more interested in is what may have occurred between other sides since the competition was founded?

Having said that though, did Woodville or West Torrens have discussions with any other clubs prior to their talks being made official?

In the late 1980's South nearly went through the hoops in terms of financial problems. I suspect that a number of people at the time hoped that the club would in fact fold. I remember sitting in the front of my Dads XB Falcon at the time and he had the radio on KG's show which I think was not even on 5AA but another station. They were interviewing two Victorian people who I cant remember their names who South Adelaide had brought over to help the club trade its way out of the mess. One of the chaps on the radio commented to KG that he should use his position to do more to help South Adelaide, KG replied that "Yes he had" and I recall that several people felt exactly the opposite at the time! Souths members rallied around the club and the rest is history! - Yet the assumption at the time was that South would amalgamate with Sturt. I dont think South ever got as far as offical discussions however, I think that idea was something that the media pushed along although I stand to be corrected if that is the case? One comment that I did hear was that Sturt would not be merging with the SAFC but would be taking it over if there was a merger. I think this really helped South to fall on our feet as a result.

When the AFL licence was up for grabs and Port were awarded it I do think that some of hte clubs had discussions on mergers to put a side into the AFL. South and Glenelg had talks and put up an initial bid, the bid was the first to fall over, South went on to support Port in their bid and Glenelg supported the Cartel bid which I believe was Glenelg, WWT, West and another side that I cant recall, this bid did not involve an actual merger, but my understanding was that the Eagles would drop out of the SANFL to be in the AFL. I think Norwood and Sturt had a joint bid, but I cant recall what North Adelaide did?

When Sturt hit hard times there were several articles in the Advertiser about a potential merger between Sturt and North Adelaide, with the new club to be located at Prospect and to pretty much be the North Adelaide FC, yet clearly not much came of it either.

Somewhere I have heard a rumour that Norwood and North Adelaide at one stage may have had some suggestion in the media that they ought to amalgamate, but I have nothing to substantiate that rumour!

Any more or any corrections to the above?
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Historical Merger Discussions Empty Re: Historical Merger Discussions

Post by mr o Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:37 pm

because of ww2, a few clubs merged for a time, glenelg and westies were one, not sure who else merged with who, someone else may know.
mr o
mr o

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:15 pm

I think it was Norwood - North, Port - Torrens and Sturt - South?
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:16 pm

Norwood-North and Port-Torrens during the War years mr o.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:16 pm

Yes R&B, South-Sturt too.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:21 pm

I believe former Port President Bruce Weber in 1992 asked the AFL if Port could merge with the Fitzroy Lions in another fruitless bid to join the AFL. Apparently they were to play out of Adelaide Oval if it eventuated.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:06 pm

Found this on wiki, albeit it's about VFL/AFL mergers. Still, it makes for interesting reading...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposed_VFL/AFL_clubs
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by mr o Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:33 pm

thanks you guys, i allways thought west and glenelg came together during the war years, thanks for setting that one straight, cheers, north and norwood and port and torrens make sence, south and sturt may not have been a good fit.
mr o
mr o

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:42 pm

It was basically the clubs next door to each other or from similar areas at the time.

BUT could you imagine:
West-Torrens
Norwood-Sturt
Port-North
South-Glenelg?

Just reading that South could have gone anywhere being based in the city, or even Kensington Oval:
"At this time their matches were played at the old Jubilee Oval, which was located next to Frome Road in what is now the University of Adelaide. Prior to this, in the 1890's, they had made use of a ground in the South Parklands close to Hutt Street and the old Arab Steed Hotel, where players often used to go for half-time drinks! Other ovals which the club has used for home matches include the Kensington Oval (which was right next to the tram), the Adelaide Oval (which was a real favourite for both players and spectators), and now the new oval at Noarlunga." (SAFC website)

So perhaps then, it could have looked like this:
Norwood-South
Sturt-West
Port-Glenelg
North-Torrens! (or even Glenelg-Torrens?)
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:17 pm

It would be nice to find more info on the arrangements surrounding the World War 2 competition, such as the options looked at the beginning of 1942; who each player was registered to - especially those who did not play at any other time; also players full names around this time seem to be missing more than the 30s.

Anyway, if you did look at the positions of the clubs and their zones at the time (there is another thing I'd love to get, where the zones have been over the years and a diagram of each period of change, plus how they got to those conclusions), it would look like this:

Port North
|......... \
Torrens . \
.............Norwood
West ... South
| .......... |
Glenelg . Sturt
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:22 pm

It certainly is interesting! Very Happy
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:29 pm

The 1994 proposals were:
Glenelg/South
AFL team play at Football Park
Based at Glenelg
SANFL team based and play at Noarlunga

Norwood/Sturt
Based at Norwood
SANFL play at Adelaide
Based at Unley

Cartel (Central, North, West and Eagles)
Team to be Woodville-West Torrens
Based at Woodville
Players not in the AFL side to play for the SANFL clubs they came from

Port Adelaide
Both AFL and SANFL team to be based at Alberton and AFL team to play at Football Park
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:33 pm

I don't know of the instances of official merger talks, though there have been many suggestions over the years.

There was a suggestion of West/Torrens/Woodville club in the late 70s
Ashley Porter in the News suggested (perhaps successfully predicted) Woodville and West Torrens in 1982
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:47 pm

I remember reading a post either here or MyFootyForum about the proposed expansion clubs in the 1950s before Woodville and Central were admitted.

I think Ben W shared that post.

From memory, Woodville should never have been admitted, but were to stop the Port juggernaut. Quite rightly, a team should have been based near the Hallet Cove-Noarlunga area (now South) and another at Golden Grove (missed the boat on that one!) as well as Elizabeth (now Central).

Adelaide University applied only to be rejected (probably rightly so after what happened to Melb Uni in VFL).

Looking back on when SANFA started, I'm amazed that some clubs that started of in the league did not continue playing with SANFL - Modbury, Gawler, Kapunda, Willunga to name a few. Perhaps they did not have the poulation to sustain a long-term commitment, but it's interesting to see how these are now our most rapid growth areas.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:29 pm

I think back then distance was a major issue ... all clubs in the 1800's were within a modern 5-10 minute drive from the CBD with the exception of Port who would have been like Geelong in the VFL.

So you could do the travel to Gawler & Willunga etc once in a while but pre-mass motor car how would have everyone got there on a weekly or fortnightly basis.
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:41 pm

Provided everyone lived near the city, the train to Gawler wouldn't have been a problem. Willunga would have been much harder - the railway reached there in 1918.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:10 pm

Indeed the distance would have been a problem. I can't help but think though how different the league would look if they had stayed. We may have had something that looks like English soccer - town vs town rivalries rather than just suburbia!
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawb Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:37 am

I still say to work the SANFL needs 8 clubs and should look at a merger but who would you give the merger to.
Strawb
Strawb

Teams : Geelong/ Williamstown.

Back to top Go down

Post by FOOTYfollower Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Unlikely to be a merger, 8 team comp would depend on a club folding or the possibility of a forced merger (or more likely a takeover) due to a club or clubs getting in very deep financial problems they can't get out of, similar to Fitzroy.
FOOTYfollower
FOOTYfollower

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:39 pm

Strawb wrote:I still say to work the SANFL needs 8 clubs and should look at a merger but who would you give the merger to.

Port Adelaide Power and Port Adelaide Magpies Smile
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:15 pm

Did not Port and West in the last 10-15 years discuss a merger? Or have I made that up?
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawb Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:46 pm

howthewestwaswon wrote:Did not Port and West in the last 10-15 years discuss a merger? Or have I made that up?
No the merger was on offer when the Power Started. Doug Thomas made the offer under the following conditions. The name, Colours, Nickname all remain the same as West Adelaide and They play at Richond Oval.
Strawb
Strawb

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:38 pm

Not much of a compromise then, is it!

Interesting. I would have thought a rename like the WestPort Wolves or something to that effect could have occurred. I would have played the majority of home games at Richmond with 2 or 3 at Alberton and probably had a strip of red, black and white (but nothing like the St Kilda jumper - maybe hoops instead?). Historical Merger Discussions 1344700888

Anyway, it won't ever happen, touch wood! Very Happy
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawb Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:46 pm

howthewestwaswon wrote:Not much of a compromise then, is it!

Interesting. I would have thought a rename like the WestPort Wolves or something to that effect could have occurred. I would have played the majority of home games at Richmond with 2 or 3 at Alberton and probably had a strip of red, black and white (but nothing like the St Kilda jumper - maybe hoops instead?). Historical Merger Discussions 1344700888

Anyway, it won't ever happen, touch wood! Very Happy
Nope there was no compromise it was a take over of Port Adelaide Magpies and they have nothing left to their name and it worked for me also. The SANFL should have got rid of Port when the Power went to the AFL Port wanted in the AFL they got it. well that is just my opinion
Strawb
Strawb

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:03 pm

Interestingly Strawb that was the wishes and stated intention of the Port Adelaide Football Club when they made it official that they were making an attempt to enter the AFL.

I recall Fos Williams being interviewed outside of Alberton Oval as the news broke and he explained to the media what was happening and what would be on the table.

It was the SANFL that made Port Adelaide have the Magpies team in the SANFL against the wishes of the club at the time, yet in their eagerness to get into the AFL they accepted the conditions and it has been a millstone around their neck ever since IMO. I dont mean any offence to Port Adelaide fans, yet the stated goal of the PAFC is that Port are to be in the AFL and I think that when the next financial crisis comes along it could well be that in order to recieve the bail out funds that Port have to cut the Magpies loose as it will show a better balance sheet for the Power.

If that happens, I think Port Magpies should do an amalgamation of their own - with Port Districts and remain in the SANFL accordingly under their own steam!
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next