Has soccer arrived as a force in Australia ?

+5
Aceman
Ben W
testy
Lee
bayman
9 posters

Go down

Has soccer arrived as a force in Australia ?  Empty Has soccer arrived as a force in Australia ?

Post by bayman Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:01 pm

given crowd numbers over the last 3 weeks i'd suggest it probably has
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Has soccer arrived as a force in Australia ?  Empty Re: Has soccer arrived as a force in Australia ?

Post by Lee Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:24 pm

Soccer has drawn big crowds in these 'one-off' type games before. I thought 33,000 was a bit lower than expected,

There's no doubt soccer has lifted from the poor attendances of some time ago and has established itself as a reasonable alternative, but it had to shift to summer to achieve that.

Plenty of room for all codes, though.

Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Has soccer arrived as a force in Australia ?  Empty Re: Has soccer arrived as a force in Australia ?

Post by testy Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:03 pm

Not sure it has arrived as a force but it has definately improved in standard from not so long ago and this could be due to the number of overseas players coming to our shores to play the game.

Friday night's game was played at Adelaide Oval due to the huge rivalry both sides have and it payed of with a big crowd attending.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:38 pm

Anyone see the Red's mascot thumb his nose when the Glory's captain went to shake his hand?

WADH.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:03 pm

Pretty sure I heard on the radio that the match at Adelaide is the only United match there this season.

The main thing for Soccer is that its the only thing in town at present bar the 36's who seem to be beyond their glory days. Cricket will soon be broadcast in the media and I suspect some of the interest in soccer may drop off.

Personally I would like to see more English Premier League Soccer on mainstream TV, I feel that is where there is more likely going to be growth in interest in Soccer as people like watching most sports played at the top level.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Aceman Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:55 pm

Soccer is definately becoming bigger, dont think it will ever take over but there is an increasing number of migrants who couldnt care less about AFL.
You have millions of new Australian's in Sydney and Melbourne that have come from soccer areas and grow up only supporting one code it isnt ideal.
For me the biggest concern is at junior level, soccer numbers are well in truly in front and Aussie rules numbers are decreasing yearly, will we see enough kids playing footy in the future filtering through to the top level?
Aceman
Aceman

My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:02 pm

Aceman wrote:Soccer is definately becoming bigger, dont think it will ever take over but there is an increasing number of migrants who couldnt care less about AFL.
You have millions of new Australian's in Sydney and Melbourne that have come from soccer areas and grow up only supporting one code it isnt ideal.
For me the biggest concern is at junior level, soccer numbers are well in truly in front and Aussie rules numbers are decreasing yearly, will we see enough kids playing footy in the future filtering through to the top level?

There are lots of juniors playing soccer but a huge number give it away in teenage years. (Basketball is even worse, the drop off is enormous from U15 to senior ranks).
AFL will have to keep working but I cannot see it being overtaken soon. The sport that has really suffered recently is Rugby Union.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:59 pm

If they dropped the general admission prices at Hindmarsh, you would get bigger crowds... i went to watch Adelaide United v Western Sydney Wanderers tonight...

cost = $35 general admission, $28 concession and $15 for kids.

Now that iv'e seen a game at Hindmarsh which was good as your close to the action, i think the admission prices are too high and probably won't go again.
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:47 pm

barring a grand final i wouldn't pay that much to watch the bays, let alone A league soccer, a top flight European competition yes i'd go once but not for a second or third rate league............people that run sporting competitions have nfi about the real world, was it 30,000 homes in THIS STATE that had their electricity cut off because people couldn't afford to pay & they (not only soccer) charge like wounded bulls
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:25 am

Used to be a regular attendee in 70's

Ive been  invited by friends to attend this season
Have not got around to going
I had no idea what the admi$$ion was
$35 Shocked
Yep, I'm with First Blood and the Glenelg barracker
$35 is way too expensive and more or less puts me off from attending any future games

No disrespect to A League soccer , but if its $35 for that code, an AFL game equivalent would be $105 admission

I do watch several games on Foxtel
That does save me $35 + expenses in not attending
This is what the A League has to contend with

Last night is an example of what the alternatives are for me
I watched and punted on the GDP trots Saturday night
In between races I watched the Adelaide United against Western Sydney Wanderers match
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:04 am

Well here you go, it's cheaper interstate ...

Melbourne City v Brisbane Roar at AAMI Park Sunday 7-12-2014.

General Admission
Adult: Game Day $28.55
Concession (Pension / Student): Game Day $20.39
Junior (4-14yrs incl.): Game Day $8.16
Family (2 Adults / 2 Juniors): Game Day $67.29

I forgot to mention that i went with 2 other adults which was their first visit to Hindmarsh as well, both said they would not go to another game at those prices.
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:05 pm

Thanks for the information FB, we have been thinking about going sometime this season to see the Reds play but you have just decided for us.

$70 for two adults, no thanks.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:27 am

Well....I went to my first ever Reds game on Saturday night and yes, at $35 it is far, far too expensive.

The crowd ( 12,122 ) seemed to know the game well, rode the highs and lows, the Red Army cheer squad barely shut up and the atmosphere was non stop. Barely a moment without some singing and chanting etc. Which is all well and good, but I prefer to watch the game and not the crowd when I go to these things.

Soccer doesn't do much for me, but a mate has been bugging me to go for about 3 years and I finally succumbed to his pressure and went. I can't say I'll be back in a hurry.

The good - You're right on top of the game, even the furthest point on the pitch seemed and felt quite close by. The atmosphere created by the singing masses at the Northern End. $7 Pints of Pale Ale.

The bad - $30+ to get in, only 90 minutes of "action" ( when something actually happens ), loads of people saying "Oh my Gawd!" every time something nearly happens, $10 Jack Daniels and Coke.

All in all, out of 10 for value, experience and "go-back-ability" - 4/10.

Don't plan to meet up with me at Hindmarsh any time soon. ( Other than for the Foo Fighters concert in March 2015 )
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:39 pm

Terrific result tonight with the Reds defeating Perth glory 1-0 in the first ever FFA cup at Hindmarsh stadium in front of over 16,000 spectators.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:44 pm

7 goals in a soccer match............it wont be long before they're scoring more goals than in AFL football, presuming ultra defensive tactics (by a couple of teams) continue in an upward spiral
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:35 pm

as we know the Asian Cup tournament has finished with a 2-1 win for Australia in extra time...........did you know that the goalscorer (James Troisi) of the winning goal was scored by a western suburbs boy, from Flinders Park to be precise

well done to James & the whole squad

a couple of sour comments put up by a person on one of the Asian cup sites, i say try barracking for Glenelg & see how you go, so get a life mate
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:40 pm

Would I be right in saying the Soceroos might be even better had we not played Australian Rules football in this country ?
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:46 pm

You may be right in your thinking scrappy, I will also throw in rugby league.
The AFL and the NRL are the most watched and played winter sports in this country with soccer being behind these two on the big arena.

Given that, I think the socceroos have done themselves proud with the success that they had winning the Asian Cup.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down