Chambo Off To Work We Go
Paul
bayman
Thiele
Brucetiki
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Round 5: Adelaide v Port - Sunday 4 May @ Clare Oval Empty Round 5: Adelaide v Port - Sunday 4 May @ Clare Oval

Post by Brucetiki Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:50 pm

Adelaide v Port

Sunday 4 May
Clare Oval

League: 2:10pm

Last Week
Adelaide 13.8.86 lost to Glenelg 17.21.123 @ Gliderol Stadium
Port 21.8.134 d West 11.10.76 @ Alberton Oval

Ladder Position
Adelaide 7th 1-3 45.45%
Port 2nd 3-1 67.08%

It's the first battle between the two AFL SANFL sides, and Adelaide's sole 'home' game of the year. Who will win the first 'SANFL Showdown'.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Round 5: Adelaide v Port - Sunday 4 May @ Clare Oval Empty Re: Round 5: Adelaide v Port - Sunday 4 May @ Clare Oval

Post by Thiele Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:43 pm

Think Port will win this one
Thiele
Thiele

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Round 5: Adelaide v Port - Sunday 4 May @ Clare Oval Empty Re: Round 5: Adelaide v Port - Sunday 4 May @ Clare Oval

Post by bayman Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:48 pm

Port very easily, they'll win by at least 10 goals....

does anyone know the dimensions of the Clare Oval thanks ?
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:25 pm

Friggin huge I hope.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:29 pm

163 x 108

Round 5: Adelaide v Port - Sunday 4 May @ Clare Oval T_ackl11

Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:26 am

Pretty narrow and small ground.

I puke when I hear them refer to this as a "sanfl showdown".

What a lot of cobblers.

There was, nor is, nor ever will be a traditional rivalry at sanfl level between these 2 sides. There is no tradition, period. The Adelaide side in the sanfl have NO traditional rivals. Therefore, there is no showdown - just a marketing frenzy by people who want / need to appease the AFL machine and in the proces de-value that sanfl tradition.

Similarly, with the current guise of Port Adelaide. With what they actually are, they too have no traditional rivals anymore. At least not in the conventional and "traditional" sense. They may be the same club, but not the same Magpies side playing under the same rules as they used to along with 8 other "traditional" sides.

We have been forced to accept new terminologies like "state league side" for these 2 teams.

We may have accepted them into this competition under these rules (maybe begrudgingly in some quarters), but do we have to put up with this media BS being shoved down our throats too?

What next are they going to play for the Steve Summerton - Ian Callinan medal too?

Rolling Eyes 

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:28 am

Cornes-Cahill medal? (tongue firmly planted in cheek)
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Bundy Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:37 am

WHO REALLY CARES, APART FROM LOTS OF INJURIES.STILL DON'T CARE.
Bundy
Bundy

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:38 am

The other forum has the right idea now about banning game day threads being hijacked by the same stuff every week.
Paul
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:38 am

Bundy wrote:WHO REALLY CARES, APART FROM LOTS OF INJURIES.STILL DON'T CARE.

Maturity level at an all time high here.
Paul
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:09 am

Port by 5-6 goals.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:16 am

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:Pretty narrow and small ground.

What a lot of cobblers.

There was, nor is, nor ever will be a traditional rivalry at sanfl level between these 2 sides. There is no tradition, period. The Adelaide side in the sanfl have NO traditional rivals. Therefore, there is no showdown - just a marketing frenzy by people who want / need to appease the AFL machine and in the proces de-value that sanfl tradition.

Similarly, with the current guise of Port Adelaide. With what they actually are, they too have no traditional rivals anymore. At least not in the conventional and "traditional" sense. They may be the same club, but not the same Magpies side playing under the same rules as they used to along with 8 other "traditional" sides.

We have been forced to accept new terminologies like "state league side" for these 2 teams.

We may have accepted them into this competition under these rules (maybe begrudgingly in some quarters), but do we have to put up with this media BS being shoved down our throats too?

What next are they going to play for the Steve Summerton - Ian Callinan medal too?

Rolling Eyes 

All traditions started somewhere at sometime Chambo - although the only person I've heard call this a traditional rivalry is you so far.

No one has forced you to use the 'state league' term either. You can call the SANFL whatever you like.

As for media BS - it got nearly 10 000 to the Bay on Friday night for a fixture that would have previously been a bye. Glenelg FC would have made thousands of unexpected dollars out of that.

Crowds are up. TV ratings are up. Interest is high. Crows fans in particular are rediscovering their SANFL clubs. SANFL clubs are getting income from a fixture that was previously a bye. It's early days, but I honestly can't see what has been lost in having the reserves teams in the competition so far.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:40 am

I wonder if they will upgrade the ground conditions similar to City Mazda?... can't have Crows or Power players tripping over and getting injured on that cricket pitch.
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:45 am

I personally think it's a great idea for the Crows to be taking their sole home game to a country town - great acknowledgement of their support. IMO they should get 2 home games a season against Port if they continue to do this. Mind you, I will always put up a good case for rural and remote regions!
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:54 am

Attendance will give 10k a nudge again I reckon.

I think Port will get over the line comfortably (about 40 points) in this one, although the Adelaide players might get themselves up and about in honour of the traditional rivalry.  Wink 
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:56 am

This is also a charity match for a local family who lost their son in a playground accident last year.
Paul
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:04 pm

Gingernuts wrote:
Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:Pretty narrow and small ground.

What a lot of cobblers.

Rolling Eyes 

All traditions started somewhere at sometime Chambo - although the only person I've heard call this a traditional rivalry is you so far.

No one has forced you to use the 'state league' term either. You can call the SANFL whatever you like.

As for media BS - it got nearly 10 000 to the Bay on Friday night for a fixture that would have previously been a bye. Glenelg FC would have made thousands of unexpected dollars out of that.

Crowds are up. TV ratings are up. Interest is high. Crows fans in particular are rediscovering their SANFL clubs. SANFL clubs are getting income from a fixture that was previously a bye. It's early days, but I honestly can't see what has been lost in having the reserves teams in the competition so far.

Read what I actually wrote, rather than what you think I wrote.
They are talking showdown like the afl one, that now has some tradition about it.
However, the sanfl does not promote the same showdown meaning.
Fine we can talk about traditions starting, but there isn't one yet.
I would venture to say that Tex and being Good Friday got most of the 10,000 to the bay, not media BS.

If people like the sanfl perverted by afl style coverage, commentary, hype and the like, ok play on. Just not me.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:09 pm

sapaul wrote:The other forum has the right idea now about banning game day threads being hijacked by the same stuff every week.

I am talking about this game being promoted as a Showdown.
If I can't say that here, where would you lilke me to say it?
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:11 pm

sapaul wrote:This is also a charity match for a local family who lost their son in a playground accident last year.

I didn't know that. But being a former Whyalla resident, I could imagine a packed Bennett Oval for a game like this, and potentially many other ovals around the state.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:18 pm

Gingernuts wrote: It's early days, but I honestly can't see what has been lost in having the reserves teams in the competition so far.

How about the idea of a level playing field where all teams are semi-professional and have the same salary cap?
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:20 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:I am talking about this game being promoted as a Showdown.
If I can't say that here, where would you lilke me to say it?

http://www.talkingfootysa.com/t2140-crows-and-port
Paul
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:30 pm

howthewestwaswon wrote:I didn't know that.  But being a former Whyalla resident, I could imagine a packed Bennett Oval for a game like this, and potentially many other ovals around the state.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/adelaide-crows-and-port-adelaide-to-stage-sanfl-clash-at-clare/story-fni5f4l8-1226768047998

THE Adelaide Crows want to take their SANFL Showdowns with Port Adelaide to the country, starting in Clare next year as a show of support after the tragic death of six-year-old Max Redden.

The Crows are in talks with the Power and the SANFL about making their only "home" state league clash an annual rural fixture.

As part of the agreement allowing Adelaide and Port Adelaide to field teams in the SANFL next year, all of their state league games will be "away" fixtures, except when they play each other.

None of their meetings is likely to be a curtain-raiser to AFL Showdowns at Adelaide Oval.

"We want to take, on an annual basis, the state league game (against Port Adelaide) that we host to a near-rural location," Adelaide chief executive Steven Trigg said.

"Partly because we are the team for all South Australians and we have terrific support from our country people, so it's logical that we take that game to the country."

The Crows want to play the Power reserves in the Mid-North and ideally in Clare, where the community is coming to terms with the loss of Max Redden, who died in a tragic playground accident when an unsecured slippery dip fell on him last month.

Max's father Tom is the principal of the Clare Valley Toyota dealership, Toyota is the major sponsor of the Adelaide Football Club and Max was a Crows supporter.

"We'd like to use the game to demonstrate our support for the region and the family," Trigg told The Advertiser.

"This (Max's death) touched the hearts of everyone and we felt it was an ideal opportunity to take this game to the area to support the region and the family.

"We've still got work to do with the competition ... but we'd like it to be early in the season."

Trigg said initial indications from the SANFL were positive, but there were "a lot of things to consider".

Adelaide has also discussed its plan with the Power and Trigg said the rival club was supportive of the concept.
Paul
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:30 pm

I've re-read both posts and I'm pretty sure I've addressed yours accurately Chambo.

I say again, traditions have to start somewhere - and they have to call it something, if not the 'first SANFL Showdown' then what?

I really don't want to go over this territory again, but....

The SANFL could certainly have done things your preferred way and kept it's traditions and integrity preserved in a glass case tagged 'real football', reserved for the enjoyment of the self annointed 'real football supporters'. I ask you though - what good are traditions and integrity if there is no one left to observe them?

No, those who survive adapt, change and evolve to suit their surrounding environment. The SANFL did what it had to do to live on and hopefully afford a new generation the chance to experience some reasonable semblance of the competition you hold so dear. Did they trade off some of the competition's integrity to do this? Absolutely. Was this cost worth it? Well that's still up for debate, but I personally believe it will be.

So while you have your head in the sand searching for the SANFL of your childhood, I and many others will be celebrating the first SANFL Showdown this weekend. May there be many more, and may they help to ensure that the SANFL endures as a competition well beyond both you and I (or at least until the Panthers win another flag!).
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:31 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:
Gingernuts wrote: It's early days, but I honestly can't see what has been lost in having the reserves teams in the competition so far.

How about the idea of a level playing field where all teams are semi-professional and have the same salary cap?

What good are they if they exist in a competition that is unsustainable?
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:58 pm

When the Port Adelaide Football Club play the Adelaide Football Club it is a Showdown. Whether it's on the AFL stage, the SANFL stage or the Ramsgate Car Park....it's a Showdown.

This, being the first one of many at SANFL level just brings that rivalry to the SANFL stage.

Let's be quite clear folks......7 of 9 clubs voted to accept this set up and Sturt and West supporters ( the most vocal in here ) your clubs chose to support this system. It's likely to change at the years end and maybe even again at the end of next year but be smart enough to know it is what it is and you have options to continue following the SANFL or not. Sure you can follow it and not agree with the set up, but we get it, we know you don't like it.....we've got the point.

Now, is there a chance we continue to discuss the game itself?
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next