+4
firstblood
testy
Scrappy
bayman
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

harness racing South Australia reaches new low  Empty harness racing South Australia reaches new low

Post by bayman Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:18 pm

last night at Globe Derby i was informed by a first timer at the trots that it cost his kids 13 & 15 $10.00 to get in Shocked , i told him that isn't right as it's no cost for under 16yo if accompanied with an adult, with further discussions i went outside & read the sign at the main entrance & it read

Adults $10.00
Concession $5.00

free entry for children under 12 years old

i was absolutely gobsmacked, i know they're struggling financially, although they are asset rich, this bloke said to me, ''well not only next week but we wont be back at all, i'm not spending $40.00 to get my family in & then you add on the expense of food, drinks & so on, it is way too dear & isn't this supposed to be a FAMILY sport ?'' i couldn't argue with anything he said

no child 13 to 16 should be paying to get in as they have never been charged before at any racecourse i've been to in Australia & these kids are not allowed to bet or drink

i don't know whose idea it is whether it was one of the top honcho's or someone lower in the pecking order, but as Derryn Hinch would say SHAME SHAME SHAME

bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

harness racing South Australia reaches new low  Empty Re: harness racing South Australia reaches new low

Post by Scrappy Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:16 pm

This is a perspective given to me by a friend on attendances

He used to go to Globe Derby almost every week in the summer months
He had a young family when he started, the kids loved it
They would have a picnic on the lawn area , bring grog, refreshments and the good ol BBQ

The kids grew up , he continued going , and family friends would still attend a few meetings , with the grog + BBQ
Occasionally his kids would roll up for the night

This particular family has made it an outing at the trots for some 30 + years
But now, sadly, they have not been once since this happened
The Club at some stage recently banned grog and BBQs from the venue ?
No longer could they sprawl out in the lawn area, and immediately stopped attending the trots
The friend is bitter , and vows to never ever attend another meeting at Globe Derby
He now frequents pubs with his mates and bets there

The loss to the club was :
Betting with the on course TAB , creating a revenue stream of commissions for the club
Playing the Pokies , adding more commissions
Some drinking at the bar
Some eating from the Cafeterias
Buying a race book
Paying Admission fees for adults attending
Etc etc

Add to this
He was instrumental in encouraging and bringing other friends to have a night out with him
Those people in turn gambled, and drank and ate etc

Im not saying a ban on grog or BBQS if applicable is right or wrong
But it certainly has turned some scores of people away from attending the trots

The latest of charging teenage kids $10 to get in , would be another absolute deterrent on people attending the trots

As for race clubs charging admissions, I think that its past a used date
I very very rarely attend meetings on course these days
This is far fetched but, instead of clubs charging me $10 to get in , they should pay me $10 to attend
It would be a good investment , my turnover and the buying of refreshments and food etc , would far outweigh the $10 cost of getting me there
Perhaps this line of thinking, may encourage people to re-attend trotting meetings

PS bayman
That punter is not as happy as Larry !
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

harness racing South Australia reaches new low  Empty Re: harness racing South Australia reaches new low

Post by testy Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:56 pm

To charge kids under 16 anything is totally wrong and once again the SATC has shot itself in the foot.
The banning of taking in your own booze came into effect about 3 years ago.
We were one of many groups who used to go and take our esky with food and booze but now we only go now and then. We do intend to go this Saturday night to see the SA pacing cup, but for us it isn't the same as it was before as we used to make it a night out with a picnic atmosphere about it.
testy
testy

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:07 pm

I think it's family night this Saturday the 12 Jan at Globe Derby. kids are free i believe, so i might take the family as it's only a 5 minute drive from home...
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:38 pm

firstblood wrote:I think it's family night this Saturday the 12 Jan at Globe Derby. kids are free i believe, so i might take the family as it's only a 5 minute drive from home...

kids under 12 FREE, those 13 & up have to pay

this weeks add on the radio says Adults $10.00, Concession $7.00 & kids under 12 free

farsical situation to charge kids of any age
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:42 pm

bayman wrote:
firstblood wrote:I think it's family night this Saturday the 12 Jan at Globe Derby. kids are free i believe, so i might take the family as it's only a 5 minute drive from home...

kids under 12 FREE, those 13 & up have to pay

this weeks add on the radio says Adults $10.00, Concession $7.00 & kids under 12 free

farsical situation to charge kids of any age

Yep, I heard that add, anyone over 12 pays full tote odds. Mad
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:48 am

We began pretty regular trips out there about 5 years ago, when the no grog policy came in, we simply stopped going.

What sort of crowd get there on a Saturday night now bayman?
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:52 am

Booney wrote:We began pretty regular trips out there about 5 years ago, when the no grog policy came in, we simply stopped going.

presuming you mean every Saturday night the answer is just the normal crowd which does go up from October through to March, now that the restaurant is back open there is obviously more people going as well, apart from watching it live & perhaps the occaisional on course mail there is no added advantage of going, as for me well i still like going for the night out & to catch up with friends........i wonder how many will turn up on Saturday night & find out they have to pay for their kids & decide to go somewhere else instead, as i said in an earlier post the guy i spoke too last week said ''i wont be back at all''

gates open at 4pm on Saturday, here's a tip get there around 3.40pm & walk into the course for FREE & the bar etc is open downstairs
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Booney wrote:We began pretty regular trips out there about 5 years ago, when the no grog policy came in, we simply stopped going.

I wonder how many people were in the same boat as you.

The club may have lost money on allowing people to take their own alcohol in, but that could have also been a tactic to encourage those once a year patrons to attend more meetings during the summer months.
The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:17 pm

MEDIA RELEASE

MASSIVE NIGHT OF HARNESS RACING AT BETEZY PARK GLOBE DERBY
With a bumper 10 race card, a massive crowd is expected at Betezy Park Globe Derby this Saturday to see some of Australasia’s best horses compete for record prizemoney, with the highlight being the Betezy South Australian Cup. First raced at Wayville in 1939, the SA Cup has seen the ‘Who’s Who’ of racing royalty greet the judge including Minuteman, Monara, James Eden, Pure Steel, Westburn Grant, Gammalite (who won over four consecutive years from 1982-1985), Our Sir Vancelot, Courage Under Fire, and Smoken Up, who has won the SA Cup on three previous occasions.
For the first time in 25 years, the South Australian Cup has increased prizemoney to $125,000, and has attracted a crack field with a strong South Australian flavour. Heading up the stellar field is Carribean Blaster who recently had a magnificent win in the Victorian Cup against Australasia’s best horses. It will be driven by former South Australia reinswoman, Kate Gath, who has now established herself as one of Australia’s best drivers. Three time winner Smoken Up will attempt to equal the record of the mighty Gammalite by trying to win its fourth SA Cup. Trained and driven by former South Australian Lance Justice, Smoken Up has established itself as one of the greatest ever horses with career earnings exceeding $3 million. Then we have the ‘peoples horse’, Come on Frank, which will carry the emotion and passion of all South Australians.
Other Feature races on the night include the Group 1 SEW Eurodrive SA Derby and the Group 2 Seelite Windows and Doors SA Trotters Cup which has increased prizemoney by $5,000 to $30,000 with the winner receiving ballot exempt status for the “Great Southern Star” at Melton in 2013.
The night is featuring massive family entertainment including the 5AA All Stars band, free children’s rides and face painting, pony trots, fashions on the field, celebrity race featuring media and sports stars, and horse ‘life after racing’ exhibitions. There are plenty of food and drinks options.
Gates open at 4.00pm sharp with the first race starting at 5.55pm. Admission prices are very affordable: $10 for adults, $5 concession, and children under 12 years free.
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:53 pm

So what does a 12 yr old get that an 11 yr old doesn't?

Which Einstein rationalised this cut off point? Rolling Eyes
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:35 pm

i should add this for even more perception to it, when Black Caviar ran at Morphettville (twice) the SAJC took the wise move & not altered the entrance fees so kids had free entry to watch a great horse & will always have that memory as it was marketed well & was family orientated, these kids when they grow up will say ''i was there when Black Caviar won at Morphettville, do you think any kids will remember who wins this Saturday night ? sadly not very many i would think
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:30 am

Well, ended up at the trots and had a great night, cost was $5 concession and kids under 12 free.
Picked the trifecta in the big race was my only winner for the night, not that i put much on, but i had about 5 bets, each were $5. so in all i think i lost around $10. You can still have a good time betting small like i did.
Good to catch up with a couple of other Talking Footy SA members as well.
Some bad moments ... Graham Cornes was there. Smile
Some nice moments....I saw the great Barrie Robran there.
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:53 am

was a great night, the cup lived up to its promise of being a 2 horse war & what a war it was, thanks for the bookies for betting place only Very Happy, my bank manager will be happy tomorrow when i deposit a healthy sum of money

fb, Barrie Robran is a fairly frequent Globe Derby attender, as for Graham Cornes' quip bit rude mate, it was funny when his pony who was going to run last stopped about 3 metres from the post & Ray Fewings had to grab the horse & walk him over the line...that was funny Very Happy
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:55 am

as mentioned on another thread..................

the usual bookmaker Peter Dammarrell didn't front to field at either the Friday night or Saturday nights cup meeting, there were many rumours floating around as to why, however the majority of people ''in the know'' suggested it was regards to him having to pay a fee (possibly extra to the norm) to field where he always does, now whether this is true or there is another reason i don't know but all those ''in the know'' have said that if it isn't resolved he wont be back which means bar for cup night there wont be a bookmaker at Globe Derby, yet they can get 3 bookies to the Victor harbor meetings

does anyone know the full story ?
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:02 am

bayman wrote:was a great night, the cup lived up to its promise of being a 2 horse war & what a war it was, thanks for the bookies for betting place only Very Happy, my bank manager will be happy tomorrow when i deposit a healthy sum of money

fb, Barrie Robran is a fairly frequent Globe Derby attender, as for Graham Cornes' quip bit rude mate, it was funny when his pony who was going to run last stopped about 3 metres from the post & Ray Fewings had to grab the horse & walk him over the line...that was funny Very Happy

That comment about Cornes was in tongue and cheek Bayman... it was funny watching him in the pony races. Very Happy
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:10 am

Terrific night at the trots and the main race was a classic with two great horses fighting out the finish.

A very good crowd with plenty going on between each race, good to catch up with Blacky and FB.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:50 pm

a good thing for the club that they had competitive racing, and that the weather held off.
The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:48 pm

Biggest crowd since the last Inter Dominion held at Globe Derby.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:59 pm

testy wrote:

Biggest crowd since the last Inter Dominion held at Globe Derby.

they announced it as 5,000 today while at Globe Derby but i don't think it was anything like that, it wasn't the usual jam packed betting ring to start with, the crowd on the hill didn't go as far as it has in the past, however never let the truth get in the way of feelgood story.......other people at todays meeting didn't think it was a huge crowd either & seeing kids had to pay to get in the crowd numbers would be embellished as well
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:54 pm

I thought the crowd was a good one so we will agree to disagree.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:29 pm

testy wrote:
I thought the crowd was a good one so we will agree to disagree.

i didn't say it wasn't a good crowd, i infact said the official crowd of 5,000 given is over the mark Wink
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:45 pm

this is their media release..................

Largest crowd at the trots since the Inter Dominion witnesses memorable duel
15 January 2013
by John Lewis, Chief Executive Officer
Logo
Betezy Alex Kay, Trainer & Driver Lance Justice with Premier Jay Weatherill

Betezy Alex Kay, Trainer & Driver Lance Justice with Premier Jay Weatherill.
MEDIA RELEASE
LARGEST CROWD AT THE TROTS SINCE THE INTER DOMINION
WITNESSES MEMORABLE DUEL
An official crowd of 6,500 attended the biggest and most successful night of racing at Betezy Park Globe Derby since the 2007 Inter Dominion. Many long time industry participants believed that the crowd exceeded 7,000 and also stated that the noise and roar from the crowd during the final stages of the Betezy SA Cup was the most vocal and electric in its forty year history at Globe Derby. The success of the night was also reinforced by the ‘on course’ tote turnover which increased by 25% on the previous year.
This outstanding crowd witnessed one of the most memorable SA Cups ever seen in South Australia with the superb fighting win by Smoken Up, driven by former South Australian reinsman Lance Justice. By winning the Cup for the fourth time, Smoken Up enters the record books joining the other four time winner, Gammalite. The large crowd was on its feet during the final stages of the race witnessing the duel between Smoken Up and Victorian Cup winner and champion horse Carribean Blaster with another former South Australian Kate Gath in the sulky trying to create her own history.
SAHRC CEO John Lewis stated that the 2013 Betezy Summer Carnival was an outstanding success and culminated in one of the most successful ever Cup nights. He also stated that much of the success of the night goes to the hardworking SAHRC Committee and staff, and that new catchry “Come Back to the Trots” resonated very strongly with the public.
Mr Lewis also stated that a number of other factors contributed to the unprecedented success of Cup night including:
· detailed planning and closer collaboration between the SA Harness Racing Club and Harness Racing SA in regards to the planning of the event;
· increased prize money for the Betezy SA Cup to a record $125,000 which attracted an excellent field;
· strong South Australian racing connection and ‘homecoming’ for champion drivers Lance Justice, John Justice, Kate Gath and Geoff Webster;
· increased and improved marketing and promotion of the event with media partners 5AA, Channel 7 and The Advertiser;
· terrific family entertainment including the 5AA All Stars band, free childrens rides and face painting, pony trots, fashions on the field, celebrity race featuring Adelaide Crows players and media celebrities, and horse ‘life after racing’ exhibitions;
· broad range of catering options throughout the venue; and
· very affordable admission costs for adults, concession holders and children.
More Information
John Lewis, Chief Executive Officer
Ph 0417 855 300

bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:10 am

Does anyone know if the only bookie that is prepared to go to Globe Derby these days (Peter Dammerell) is back after not attending on cup night because of xtra charges he had to pay ?
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:21 am

testy wrote:
Does anyone know if the only bookie that is prepared to go to Globe Derby these days (Peter Dammerell) is back after not attending on cup night because of extra charges he had to pay ?

yes, he has been back for the last 2 weeks, he will be there until the end of the month (not sure if that meant January or February), there has been an 'expression of interest' put out to the bookmakers league, whether any bookie has applied i don't know & i don't know if any other bookie is interested.

if you believe (i do Wink ) the 'stories' going around, PD is not the preferred option by some people in administration

testy, when i find out anymore (may do at Victor today) i'll let you know
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next