16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sanfl clubs Financials - Page 2 Empty Re: Sanfl clubs Financials

Post by mickyj Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:44 pm

robranisgod wrote:
mickyj wrote:
robranisgod wrote:
howthewestwaswon wrote:Thanks for answering my question fellas - I guess I was asking more about the club who operate away from their clubrooms.

I'm just trying to work out whether or not it'd be beneficial for West to look for a main road spot to place some pokies, but IMO it'd be hard with the Hilton and Rex Hotels in close proximity.

North have the leasehold on the Northern Tavern as well as Grand North. According to North's Annual Report the Northern Tavern is performing very well in Gaming and although Grand North, like many venues has seen a fall in pokie revenue it has counteracted this with an increase in meals and bar sales. I guess the key to all of this is to find a venue that is on a main road with easy access and away from other venues. Is there somewhere on Sir Donald Bradman Drive that West could lease? After the Hilton I can't think of any further venues on that stretch of road and it has a lot of passing traffic.

The Royal on sir donald bradman drive
The Rex on Richmond rd

Isn't the Royal on Henley Beach Road?

doh to me
mickyj
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:44 am

redandblack wrote:It always amazes me that some people (not so much on here) allow their personal hatred of someone they don't know to cloud their judgement so much. Collins has taken a large pay cut, works to secure the longer-term future of the football side of things, has taken a perennial bottom-dweller to a Grand Final with minimal resources, retains the overwhelming goodwill of the players, staff and parents of juniors, but is just slagged mercillessly by the usual suspects who rarely have a good word to say about anyone.

As usual at West, we live in interesting times Wink

Your point is valid, albeit you might not have used the best examples. "Collins has taken a large pay-cut" would mean he has been on a generous (excessive?) salary for all but one season (and you made sizable losses across those years).

"has taken a perennial bottom-dweller to a Grand Final with minimal resources" Agreed on the where he has taken the club, from where it was when he commenced, but clearly as your financials show during his time at the club, he was not under nor "minimally" resourced.

Interesting times for all clubs.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:19 am

Fair points, scrunch.

I agree that Collins was on a generous salary (in SANFL terms), although nowhere near as much as his detractors presume. Even then, he was certainly not the top paid coach in the SANFL. Not only has he taken a large salary cut, but I have no doubt he's put a fair bit back in various ways. This year, there was no money for transfer fees and that had to come from somewhere.

When I say minimal resources, you're right, I should have been clearer. I was mainly referring to the ability to recruit. Although West were pinged for a salary cap breach, we weren't in the ball-park with our offers to several players, including ex-West juniors Eagleton, Welsh and Tiller. Our offer to Jarryd Cachia was also comfortably trumped by more than one club. How the clubs who recruited them stayed below the salary cap is a credit to their management skills. Wink

Good points, though and I enjoyed your posts.

You're also right when you say interesting times for all clubs.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by eartotheground Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:46 am

Never hurts to remember that just because a player signs with one club after talking with another, that it may not relate solely to finances and that a player may also not tell the accurate story to the club they didn't sign with.
eartotheground
eartotheground

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:25 am

Bit sensitive there, ettg?

These things usually get confirmed by the player's grapevine.

'Love of the jumper' does make a difference, but not a massive dollar difference. Besides, I doubt that applied to all of those I named.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:31 am

eartotheground wrote:Never hurts to remember that just because a player signs with one club after talking with another, that it may not relate solely to finances and that a player may also not tell the accurate story to the club they didn't sign with.

True. From my knowledge of another sport, it happens a lot in the soccer industry. Players turn down thousands of dollars a week because they may like the reputation, the training facilities, the coaches, the ambition of the club or anything else more than what another club has to offer. It isn't always about the money.

Put it this way, (and trying to pick an unbiased scenario here) hypothetically if I was of AFL ability, and had a choice to make between playing for the Western Bulldogs or Collingwood and Collingwood were offering me better facilities and a $1000pw extra as well as being part of a club with a huge reputation, but the Dogs were guaranteeing me more time on the park, I'd be more inclined to go to Whitten Oval. I understand not everyone would think like me, but personally it's not about the money. I'd rather look for the proposed stability on offer.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:27 am

That's very true, HTWWW.

What I didn't make clear when I originally posted is that in many cases the phrase 'not in the ball-park' comes from the players' managers, so it's clearly a money situation. I hasten to add that I'm not suggesting that was the case with the players I named, but it's a common factor heard by the less well-off clubs.

Several clubs know they've been outbid by other clubs for particular players.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:39 am

Player managers = commission?

Maybe then, it's not the players themselves... Wink
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:59 am

My information from contacts at or near the clubs involved, is that Welsh and Tiller landed big money (in SANFL terms) that no other interested team could compete with. With hindsight some seem to argue that the investment didn't deliver much due to their short tenure, but Tiller whilst he didn't play often seemed to play an important role in the Eagles premiership.

Mixed reports on Eagleton, most suggest he wasn't near top bracket in terms of football payment (although rumoured amounts vary) but it was a reasonable amount that when added with scope for coaching development was enticing. Think he also felt Norwood were closer to a tilt at a flag than West at the time. Ironically given the circumstances that lead to his departure, if he had his time again, returning to his former club likely would have provided greater opportunity and a shot at the premiership he craved.

Cachia was by all accounts on an above average wicket, but not a great deal over that threshold.

Player managers are a necessary evil in the game, but they are as trustworthy as Gillard and Abbott.

Sorry to get off topic. Every one of the 9 SANFL clubs need to tread carefully and make accurate and correct decisions in the current climate moreso than ever before, however the opportunity exists for every club to make large strides both on and off-field, such is the evenness of the competition. For the time being there isn't a standout heavyweight club dominating both on and off-field, there will be again though, who will get there first?
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:28 am

Scrunch wrote:My information from contacts at or near the clubs involved, is that Welsh and Tiller landed big money (in SANFL terms) that no other interested team could compete with. With hindsight some seem to argue that the investment didn't deliver much due to their short tenure, but Tiller whilst he didn't play often seemed to play an important role in the Eagles premiership.

Mixed reports on Eagleton, most suggest he wasn't near top bracket in terms of football payment (although rumoured amounts vary) but it was a reasonable amount that when added with scope for coaching development was enticing. Think he also felt Norwood were closer to a tilt at a flag than West at the time. Ironically given the circumstances that lead to his departure, if he had his time again, returning to his former club likely would have provided greater opportunity and a shot at the premiership he craved.

Cachia was by all accounts on an above average wicket, but not a great deal over that threshold.

Player managers are a necessary evil in the game, but they are as trustworthy as Gillard and Abbott.

Sorry to get off topic. Every one of the 9 SANFL clubs need to tread carefully and make accurate and correct decisions in the current climate moreso than ever before, however the opportunity exists for every club to make large strides both on and off-field, such is the evenness of the competition. For the time being there isn't a standout heavyweight club dominating both on and off-field, there will be again though, who will get there first?

I have no idea of how much clubs pay for recruits .
I know as I spoke to Tiller when he first started at the Eagles the coach of Westies was a very big reason why he didnt return to city mazda stadium.I'm not having a go or dig this is what I was told!!
Dont forget I follow the eagles and we lost so many players due to the fact that they didnt like Ronnie when he was the coach .
And before I get hit by South fans Ron handed the eagles a few recruits in his tenure at South .Including Scot lewis who was ready to become a panther when Ron said he was to old !!
Guys its not always about money sometimes Coaches and players just dont get along !!
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:47 am

Good thoughts, Scrunch. I'm not surprised you confirm that Welsh and Tiller were on very good contracts at the Eagles.

Mickyj, you're right, players and coaches often don't get on, but it's often given as a reason after the move is made to another club.

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:52 am

redandblack wrote:
Mickyj, you're right, players and coaches often don't get on, but it's often given as a reason after the move is made to another club.

Well I can't argue with that redandblack Very Happy
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2