countrycousin
mark beswick
blueandwhite
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sanfl clubs Financials Empty Sanfl clubs Financials

Post by blueandwhite Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:08 pm

I attended the SAFC AGM tonight. The club was pleased to report a $122k profit for 2012- a most pleasing result considering tough trading conditions throughout the year.The figure was down from the $179k profit last year and the club warned of tougher times ahead. Cool
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Sanfl clubs Financials Empty Re: Sanfl clubs Financials

Post by mark beswick Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:18 pm

Wish my club had tough times where it coul record even a tenth of that profit Sad
mark beswick
mark beswick

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:19 pm

A couple of interesting AGMs coming up this week. West Adelaide tonight and Sturt on Thursday. Probably fair to say a bit of nervous anxiety all round. Wink
countrycousin
countrycousin

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:06 pm

Will be some very interesting figures discussed at both of those meetings.

Then there should be some serious questions asked of those who oversaw those figures.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Lee Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:19 am

Yes, there was one change to the Committee. Dean Withers was elected to replace Matthew Matschoss.

Paul Sperling announced before the election results that he would stand down as President regardless of the result.

It was an at times fiery meeting, but orderly.

Andrew Collins gave a very honest 'warts and all' speech about the effect of financial cuts on the football department.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:47 am

And when the coach questioned the CEO?
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:11 am

I have to say as someone who is not involved at West, but has more than a passing interest in the club, and visit the club socially on occasions that I find their financial position most alarming.

If a club posts a trading loss of 500k something is seriously wrong. Sure there has been a downturn in pokie revenue at all clubs in the last 12 months ,that is a factor. But I am stunned that the agm at west has only seen one board position changed. Surely there has been some very poor decision making at West from a strategic point of view . I would have thought the club faithful would be up in arms, carrying pitchforks and blazing torches...after their board has placed them in such a parlous position.

I notice that "Ruperts rag" alludes to West considering off loading some of its pokies, but as most people would agree pokies and the revenue they produce are under pinning the sanfl clubs currently. Perhaps some plans to increase patronage at the cubs licensed venue, improve the quality of the cuisine , bring back the scrapped quiz night, and promote the place more in the local area would get more people through the door to generate more revenue.
I realise the licensed venue at West is a substantial asset etc but I wonder how much things would improve if the gaming facilty was on the opposite side of the ground. Main South Rd frontage with a reasonable sized carpark would in my opinion dramatically increase pokie revenue.

Also alarming is that the clubs home match attendance has dropped by 20%, this in a year when it participated in a Grand Final! I realise gate receipts are not everything but getting people through the turnstiles so they spend on the famous barbecue, and merchandise etc is very important.

Very worrying times in the SANFL with most clubs experiencing financial difficulties. The SANFL itself isnt travelling that well, and Id be pretty sure that financial assistance from that source wont be forthcoming until parts of West lakes are sold off.....and even then Im told there will be no guarantees or assurances.
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:26 am

This is where clubs may be enemies on the field, but off it I think they need to help and support each other to keep a healthy suburban competition.

Pokie revenue probably just isn't enough and for mine throws too many eggs in one basket.

I heard a whisper a few years ago about some clubs considering combined investment opportunities. Now whether that be property deals or shares or whatever, I don't know. But this sort of thing is what needs to be looked at and something the sanfl could assist in coordinating to some degree.

At the least alternative revenue streams need to be considered.

It also seems logical that done collectively may be a better system than individually.

Worth a thought.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:33 am

I know that Port have the PoW, Eagles have the Port Rd Bistro, North have Grand North. I'm not sure about the other clubs.

Are these places generating money for their respective clubs?
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:36 am

Booney wrote:And when the coach questioned the CEO?

Yes, it was a fair question about his super not being paid and the CEO agreed that it had not been well handled. Andy was also pretty passionate about the effect financial restrictions were having on the football department, but it was an honest address.

It always amazes me that some people (not so much on here) allow their personal hatred of someone they don't know to cloud their judgement so much. Collins has taken a large pay cut, works to secure the longer-term future of the football side of things, has taken a perennial bottom-dweller to a Grand Final with minimal resources, retains the overwhelming goodwill of the players, staff and parents of juniors, but is just slagged mercillessly by the usual suspects who rarely have a good word to say about anyone.

As usual at West, we live in interesting times Wink
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:13 pm

What has concerned me for a number of years is the lack of a strategy from the SANFL as to how they are going to grow the SANFL competition. Maybe they have one, I for one have not ever seen it and would like to.

The SANFL must change with the times, or it will die and that is becoming very evident over the last few seasons. No business in Adelaide would set themselves up today with the footprint the SANFL have. The SANFL competition must be inclusive of growing areas in the suburbs. The example of the Western Suburbs and the feeble attempt to pack club boundaries around it is one good example of very bad policy being outworked because of tradition that had no part in the founding of the SANFL and simply became a noose around its neck over the years.

Aberfoyle Park, Gawler, Willlunga, Tea Tree Gully, Mt Barker are all areas that much more needs to be done to bring the SANFL to the people in. Until issues like this are actually addressed, the SANFL will continue to have less and less of a profile as a sport in S.A and clubs will contine to travel backwards financially.

Just suppose South had stayed at Tonsley Park and played the home games at Adelaide Oval. Doing that eventually brought our club to its knees but we made the hard decisions and changed it to the point where we now are the wealthiest club in the SANFL. If we can do it others can also, and that does not mean a move for every club, it means innovation and trying new things for starters.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:35 pm

The SANFL did the right thing by introducing Central District to the competition.

Bizarre decision to introduce Woodville, but I understand it was because of Port's success?

South probably could have moved to Noarlunga in the 1970s and reaped the rewards earlier.

A team from the Modbury area is still missing IMO.

Anyway, my left-field question is: Would the situation be any different had West Adelaide picked West Beach instead of Richmond all those years ago?
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:24 pm

Sturt have Barzaar on Unley Rd. A restaurant with a pokie room out the back.

Had a chequered history initially when SFC took it over, but is now providing a reasonable return. At least on the last 2 year's figures.

I guess more will be known after this week's AGM.

Perhaps when Country Cousin comes back on here, he might offer a bit more on this. I defer to his knowledge on the venue's finances as he combs through them with a magnifying glass. Smile

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:46 pm

Bay Function Centre does well I think, Tiger Lunches run through the season are very popular

South have Jimmy Deans, Central.. Grand Central.
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:27 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:Sturt have Barzaar on Unley Rd. A restaurant with a pokie room out the back.

Had a chequered history initially when SFC took it over, but is now providing a reasonable return. At least on the last 2 year's figures.

I guess more will be known after this week's AGM.

Perhaps when Country Cousin comes back on here, he might offer a bit more on this. I defer to his knowledge on the venue's finances as he combs through them with a magnifying glass. Smile

Once an accountant always an accountant I guess. Even though long ago retired. Rolling Eyes Sturt have 2 gaming/liquor venues. Barzaar, where we own the 31 gaming licenses, and Castle Tavern where we lease the operation. Both made profits in 2011, but that's ancient history by now and I'll wait until I see the 2012 figures on Thursday before I comment further. Except to say that I'm not a great fan of living off the proceeds of gambling. Not from any issues of morality, but simply that I'm a financial conservative and I prefer more predictable sources of income. But we're in it right now, so we have to make the best of it like everyone else.
countrycousin
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:48 pm

Thanks for answering my question fellas - I guess I was asking more about the club who operate away from their clubrooms.

I'm just trying to work out whether or not it'd be beneficial for West to look for a main road spot to place some pokies, but IMO it'd be hard with the Hilton and Rex Hotels in close proximity.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:55 pm

howthewestwaswon wrote:
Anyway, my left-field question is: Would the situation be any different had West Adelaide picked West Beach instead of Richmond all those years ago?

Had West set up camp at West Beach all those years ago would they have then been too close to Glenelg?

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:47 pm

When you think about it, it is pretty crowded in the western suburbs.
Particularly prior to Woodville and Torrens merging.

Richmond and Thebarton are not too far apart either.

However, this may give background to the club settling at Richmond.

"For many years, the West Adelaide Football Club was desperate to find a home base to train and play league football. After much searching, the club finally came up with two suitable sites for a home base. One location was at West Beach while the other was an undeveloped plot known as Richmond Oval. Local government in 1946 acquired two deeds for the allotments that have become part of the Richmond Oval Site. The smaller block (Mrs Vera Low) faced onto Milner Street while a second larger block purchased from Mr Edward Low, stretched as far as Kingston Avenue. Mr Low was a member of West Adelaide until his Death in 1976.

On October 1 1952, a committee led by Mr J. F “Jack” Simmons (Chairman) settled on Richmond Oval. The decision to choose Richmond was due to its geographical location. Richmond was close to the GPO and in the heartland of the West Adelaide district.

After protracted negotiations with the City of West Torrens, the committee entered into an agreement with the Council to lease of the ground for 20 years. The negotiators for the development of this land included Cliff Semmler, Roy B Charles, Brian Faehse and Cliff Todd. In return for this lease, the club at its own expense had to grade, grass and reticulate an area now known as the Richmond Oval. In addition to this, a partially erected grandstand faced east. The total cost for these works was £10,000 not including work done through volunteer labour (reticulation and seeding the sward). Supporters, players, local businesses and officials of the club toiled for many weekends to get the oval ready for league football. Hansen and Yuncken erected the “Brian K. Faehse” grandstand and the oval was ready for training purposes in 1955.

West Torrens Mayor of 26 years Mr Steve Hamra, was instrumental in all stages of the Ovals development. Mr Hamra even loaned the club one of his firm’s trucks to develop the site. Steve was a former president and patron of both the senior and junior bodies of the WAFC and even held official capacities with the Brunswick Football Club.

In March 1955, further talks by the West Adelaide Oval Committee with the West Torrens Council occurred. The Grounds committee sought an undertaking from the Council to complete the oval and have it ready for the 1956 season. The council was not in a financial position to meet the whole burden of this request and as a result, the club had no option but to use the venue for training purposes that year.

Early in 1956, negotiations to complete the entire oval continued. After a year of meetings and persistent requests to the Council, an agreement was reached whereby the West Torrens Council agreed to the lease Richmond Oval to the WAFC Inc. for 20 years. This allowed the club to enter into an agreement with the SANFL to play football on Richmond Oval for 1958. In return for the lease, the WAFC had to make improvements to the ground including:
The completion of the grandstand (roofing & seating),
Fencing off the grandstand area,
Erecting lavatory accommodation,
Terracing of the mound in front of the grandstand
Erect necessary turnstiles, ticket boxes etc.

The cost of these improvements exceeded £20,000. To provide finance, the SANFL agreed to a ten-year loan for £10,000 over ten years. A second loan of a similar amount was obtained from a local trading bank while the scoreboard which was located on the North Western part of the ground, was donated by Halls Softdrinks Ltd. In return for the improvements, the Council accepted the responsibility of maintenance to the oval proper, mound construction and the necessary fencing of the whole arena.

On the 26th of April 1958, Chief Secretary Sir Lyell McEwin performed the opening ceremony for the ground. West Adelaide in front of some 16,000 spectators then went on to claim the first win on the hallowed turf by defeating its neighbour West Torrens by ten points in a wonderful contest."

By Mark Beswick
Sources for this article include –(Blood Sweat and Tears, 1958 WAFC Annual Report and The Russell Family.)

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:49 am

howthewestwaswon wrote:Thanks for answering my question fellas - I guess I was asking more about the club who operate away from their clubrooms.

I'm just trying to work out whether or not it'd be beneficial for West to look for a main road spot to place some pokies, but IMO it'd be hard with the Hilton and Rex Hotels in close proximity.

North have the leasehold on the Northern Tavern as well as Grand North. According to North's Annual Report the Northern Tavern is performing very well in Gaming and although Grand North, like many venues has seen a fall in pokie revenue it has counteracted this with an increase in meals and bar sales. I guess the key to all of this is to find a venue that is on a main road with easy access and away from other venues. Is there somewhere on Sir Donald Bradman Drive that West could lease? After the Hilton I can't think of any further venues on that stretch of road and it has a lot of passing traffic.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:53 am

robranisgod wrote:
howthewestwaswon wrote:Thanks for answering my question fellas - I guess I was asking more about the club who operate away from their clubrooms.

North have the leasehold on the Northern Tavern as well as Grand North. According to North's Annual Report the Northern Tavern is performing very well in Gaming and although Grand North, like many venues has seen a fall in pokie revenue it has counteracted this with an increase in meals and bar sales. I guess the key to all of this is to find a venue that is on a main road with easy access and away from other venues. Is there somewhere on Sir Donald Bradman Drive that West could lease? After the Hilton I can't think of any further venues on that stretch of road and it has a lot of passing traffic.

The Royal on sir donald bradman drive
The Rex on Richmond rd
mickyj
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:04 pm

mickyj wrote:
robranisgod wrote:

The Royal on sir donald bradman drive
The Rex on Richmond rd

Isn't the Royal on Henley Beach Road?
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next