2012 Sportsbeat SANFL Team Of The Year

5 posters

Go down

2012 Sportsbeat SANFL Team Of The Year Empty 2012 Sportsbeat SANFL Team Of The Year

Post by C.K Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:40 am

Available in pubs and clubs around Adelaide, today I name my 2012 SANFL Team Of The Year.
This was chosen last Sunday night, therefore did not take into account Magarey Medal performances, nor performances in the opening finals either.

Feel free to offer any feedback or thoughts.

F: Brad Fisher (WA) Hardy (CD) Jericho (NWD)

HB: Goldsworthy (W/WT) Ainger (SA) Cachia (NWD)

C: Bennett (NA) Schmidt (WA) Liddle (SA)

HB: Batsanis (NWD) Hartlett (WA) Webber (NWD)

B: Jarrad (W/WT) Tippett (WA) Raikiwasa (PA)

1st Ruck: Mieklejohn (PA), Cross (SA), Boyd (CD)

Inter: Allan (NA), Rowntree (W/WT), Currie (NA)

This was one of the hardest Teams Of The Year to select. It was made a little easier by not naming any player currently on a AFL list, ruling out Centrals’ Brad Symes, Glenelg;’s Jarryd Lyons and Sturt’s Aidan Riley and Brodie Martin, all of whom would have been under strong consideration otherwise.

Where at all possible, players were named in their normal position, but competition was strong in a number of spots. For example, James Bennett would normally play as a follower, but it’s hard to ignore the credentials of the likes of Chris Schmidt and Joel Cross in that role, whereas Bennett can push out to a wing. Similar with Norwood’s Nathan Batsanis, who can move to half back and use his pace and nous from defence.
Some players were extremely unlucky. Bulldog Ryan Williams, Tiger Ruory Kirkby, Norwood’s Brett Zorzi, Magpie Jeremy Clayton, West’s Daniel Caire and Ryan Ferguson, and Sturt’s Jade Sheedy all had credentials to make the final lineup, but just missed the cut.

The choice of coach was also a tough one. A case could be made for West’s Andrew Collins, after the Bloods stunning rise to no worse than third, and North’s Josh Francou has done a great job in turning around the Rooster fortunes, but ultimately, it’s hard to argue against Norwood’s Nathan Bassett. The sheer dominance of the Redlegs throughout the minor round was heavily due to his tactical adaptability, ability to have his charges execute the game plan so effectively and strong communication skills with the playing group made him the standout choice.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

2012 Sportsbeat SANFL Team Of The Year Empty Re: 2012 Sportsbeat SANFL Team Of The Year

Post by Lee Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:19 am

Good side, CK, but as always, everyone will have diffferent opinions.

Mine are:

Brad Fisher has had a good season. His strengths are that he produces when it's important and he's a great leader. I love his play, but I think he's vying for a spot with Jericho in this side. I think your side is somewhat top-heavy and I'd be looking at a goal-kicking 'small' for this spot.

No arguments with Hardy at FF, or your half-forward line.

Bennett and Liddle aren't really wingmen and Batsanis isn't a back flanker, but they have to make the team and they're all part of the on-ball rotation, so no arguments there.

Defence: This is where I disagree somewhat. Jarrad doesn't make the side IMO. Great player, but I don't think his form this year is up to "Team of the Year' standard. Raikiwasa has had a great year and I think he's a future star, but he's not in front of some others here. From Port, I'd put Beard in front of him narrowly.

Centre Half Back: No-one will be surprised and many will have a smile, but I don't know how anyone could go past Ferguson here. He's right back to his best and is so far in front of any other CHB it's not funny.

Back pocket: Again, the State back pocket, Daniel Caire, has had a superb season. Anyone watching him last Sunday will see why I rate him so highly. Pace and huge rebound. He's a long, long way in front of Jarrad, who rarely plays back pocket anyway.

I know that makes 4 from West in defence, but that reflects the reality of this season's form.

Bench: Currie's OK, but I think Hannath is the big improver here and would be very close.

Thanks for posting it, always a great discussion point.

Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

2012 Sportsbeat SANFL Team Of The Year Empty Re: 2012 Sportsbeat SANFL Team Of The Year

Post by blueandwhite Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:39 am

Peter Rolfe...??
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:40 pm

Webber on a half back flank? He's had a great year as an in and under midfielder. The Norwood half back flanker who should be there is Dean Terlich.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:08 pm

Yes, AH, I'd agree with Terlich at HBF.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:33 pm

It'll be interesting to see if Fielke takes Terlich from the start on Sunday.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down