2013 Sportsbeat SANFL Team Of The Year

4 posters

Go down

2013 Sportsbeat SANFL Team Of The Year Empty 2013 Sportsbeat SANFL Team Of The Year

Post by Admin Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:33 am

As selected by ABC-TV's/Sportsbeat's.5RPH's Chris Kendall

F.Goldsworthy (W/WT), Wundke (SA), Gray (PA)

HF. Gordon (NA), Ainger (W/WT), Macreadie (WA)

C. O’Hara (CD), Suckling (NWD), Liddle (SA)

HB: Lewis (W/WT), Ferguson (WA - captain), Fuller (NWD)

B: G. Thring (NA), Georgiou (NWD), Glenn (CD)

1st Ruck: Mieklejohn (PA - vice captain), Tuck (WA), Boyd (CD)

Inter: B. Kane (St), Schmidt (WA), Kirkwood (PA)

Coach: Nathan Bassett (Norwood)

This year’s was one of the harder one to select in many ways, particularly given that no AFL listed players were included. The likes of Matthew Thomas, Mitch Grigg, Jarryd Lyons and Richard Tambling all had cases for inclusion otherwise.  In a couple of cases, player form was impossible to ignore, but they were selected in a position they do not normally play, but could adapt to. The team was chosen last Sunday night, September 15 and does not take into account Magarey Medal performances.

The last line of defence was one of the easiest, with Norwood’s Alex Georgiou almost never beaten and ably supported by Matthew Fuller throughout. Josh Glenn’s debut season was rightly rewarded with the SANFL Star Search award. Scott Lewis’s rebound from the backlines was crucial for the Eagles holding their form throughout, and while his influence can be missed outside of Prospect, George Thring was one of the most effective sweepers throughout. There is no doubting Ryan Ferguson in the key defensive role, however.

The midfield could easily form a State midfield. Brayden O’Hara was crucial all year to Central’s attacking manoeuvres, while Suckling’s work at stoppages is a massive key to Norwood. A few candidates could fill the wing role, but Nick Liddle shone out in a difficult season throughout for South and he can drift out wide.

Nathan Gordon’s second half of the season was way down, but the first half was sensational and he can fill a variety of roles, and he would combine strongly with Andrew Ainger in the air. Ben Macreadie has also filled a number of roles throughout.
Matthew Goldsworthy has been a prime mover all season for the Eagles and can also move through the midfield, while Michael Wundke stood out with minimal delivery at South. Sam Gray’s season was brilliant, adding goalkicking to his repertoire.

The ruck decision was a difficult one, but James Mieklejohn just edges out Bulldog Seb Guilhaus for work around the ground. Travis Tuck and James Boyd select themselves in either on-ball role. The interchange was easier, however, with Ben Kane having a sensational season (leading possession getter at Sturt in an AFL dominated team), Chris Schmidt outstanding in clearances and Zane Kirkwood lifting his game to new heights.
Coach was the easiest choice of all. Only the most parochial opposition supporter could deny Norwood mentor Nathan Bassett’s claims to the role after another superb season.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

2013 Sportsbeat SANFL Team Of The Year Empty Re: 2013 Sportsbeat SANFL Team Of The Year

Post by BloodnTars Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:51 am

Tippett stiff. Can't argue with Georgiou being there though. Maybe he should be in a back pocket as most teams try to structure up with 3 tall forwards.

Great work CK as usual though.
BloodnTars
BloodnTars

Teams : West Adelaide, Adelaide Crows, Gepps Cross
My club : west

Back to top Go down

2013 Sportsbeat SANFL Team Of The Year Empty Re: 2013 Sportsbeat SANFL Team Of The Year

Post by Lee Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:59 pm

Great work again, CK.

I think the areas for debate are:

Gordon - As good as he is, his form was down for too long to be in this team, IMO. Not sure who would replace him, but Jason Davenport would have to be considered here.

Glenn - comfortably the best Star Search player and deserved to win that, but it's a big step to the Team of the Year and I don't think he's there yet. Even allowing for my parochialism, Brad Mangan has just about been the recruit of the year and at this stage his form and ability has been better than his rivals for a defensive spot.

Norwood and West's defences have been outstanding and Tippett is stiff, but full back is a 50/50, so fair enough.

Apart from that, it looks good.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:43 pm

I agree, an excellent effort by Chris. As with most others I would have had some slight differences, but in the main its pretty close to how I would have imagined it to be.

I would have had both Tippett and Georgiou on the last line of defence. Would have had MacReadie in there but not in the forward half.

As for Glenn I think I would have just squeezed him in because of his pure class and great performances but understand why some might think it was a close or premature call.

To do that I would have to squeeze a player which most likely would be Gordon (as much as I rate him) or Lewis (and to be fair I haven't seen a lot of the Eagles this year).

Always subjective and its rare that two people let alone several will ever see it identically.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:54 pm

Yes, interesting that we roughly agree on the changes we'd make, but also agree that they're line ball calls, so well done, CK.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down