lachlan
howthewestwaswon
Big Phil
Lee
Admin
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Round 17: West v Glenelg - Friday 20 July @ City Mazda Stadium Empty Round 17: West v Glenelg - Friday 20 July @ City Mazda Stadium

Post by Admin Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:53 pm

Round 17: West v Glenelg - Friday 20 July @ City Mazda Stadium West_logo V Round 17: West v Glenelg - Friday 20 July @ City Mazda Stadium Glenelg_logo

Friday 20 July
City Mazda Stadium

Reserves: 4:55pm
League: 7:40pm

Both sides are coming off the bye - Westies a single bye, but before that a big win over Sturt, while Glenelg had a double bye and a last gasp win over South prior to the extended break. Which side will remain in the winners circle after their bye?
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Round 17: West v Glenelg - Friday 20 July @ City Mazda Stadium Empty Re: Round 17: West v Glenelg - Friday 20 July @ City Mazda Stadium

Post by Lee Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:29 pm

West haven't had a great record against Glenelg in recent times, but I think they'll be reasonably confident at City Mazda under lights.

It's a key game for third spot and if West win, it's hard to see them relinquishing that spot from here.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Round 17: West v Glenelg - Friday 20 July @ City Mazda Stadium Empty Re: Round 17: West v Glenelg - Friday 20 July @ City Mazda Stadium

Post by Big Phil Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:40 pm

Broadcast Details
- 1197am 5RPH from 7:00pm

All Recent Encounters
- Glenelg have won last 3 and 12 of the previous 13

Recent @ City Mazda Stadium
- Glenelg have won 8 of the last 9 encounters
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:52 pm

Please let it be West who win here!! By 5+ goals would be nice! Very Happy
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by lachlan Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:59 pm

A 4 point game this one. Time for the bloods to stand up. Last time they played Glenelg looked the better side
all night.
lachlan
lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:13 pm

the equation is simple with the bottom line to this match being if West win they'll almost certainly finish third at the end of the home & away season, on the other hand if we win while it'll be tough given the draw, we can make it to third & if we did we'd go into the finals full of confidence & form, logic says West who impressed me against Sturt but i'll wait to see who gets named for Glenelg before making a final decision
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Bundy Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:27 am

The bays for me in a blow out.(reverse physiology i hope) Very Happy
Bundy
Bundy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawb Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:29 am

Bloods to win it is time to stand up and prove we want to play and are good enough to play Finals football. I am not buying into this Norwood/Centrals race for the premiership. If the bloods play the attacking game we saw them play against Sturt 6 goals + for West Adelaide.
Strawb
Strawb

Teams : Geelong/ Williamstown.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:53 pm

I think that West have been in far more consistent form than the bays this year and I do believe that west will just get over the line in this match. Looking forward to a shootout underlights.
The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by BloodnTars Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:58 pm

Will Glenelg wear an alternative guernsey?

I have pretty good eyesight but find it difficult (when underlights) to tell the 2 teams apart when play is on the other side of oval.

It would be pretty bad for those with poor eyesight to tell them apart I'd assume.
BloodnTars
BloodnTars

Teams : West Adelaide, Adelaide Crows, Gepps Cross

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:59 pm

Well they've got those silver and yellow training things...
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:59 pm

Westies to win this one kicking away in the final term.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:14 am

Good win by the Bloods tonight
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:27 am

Bay's need to have black numbers very hard to see
blacky
blacky

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:22 am

You were around the mark, AH.

West didn't hit the front until midway through the last quarter, but then bolted away.

To put the win in perspective, West won by 1.14. They kicked 8.8 to 3.0 in the last half. They again played some exciting football and the last quarter was a showcase for several brave acts, from MacReadie's mark to Jimmy Ezard's many inspiring pieces of play. Above it all stood a masterful display by Chris Schmidt, who was composed and dangerous all night.

And no, they didn't play 'attacking football'. They played the same style they play every game, they just execute better and understand the game plan better.

In another quirk which has become a regular feature in Glenelg-West games, Glenelg scored two goals in the second quarter without the ball going back to the centre, after West were penalised for disputing a Glenelg goal. What they thought was a point became two goals.

Most fans still give West little credit, but in a season of topsy-turvey results, their form is very consistent. Their two significant losses were away to Norwood and Central, they lost to Norwood by a point after the siren, to Glenelg at Glenelg's first game under lights and by 7 points to North at home after having only one on the bench for the last 3 quarters.

They have some serious talent emerging and plenty of depth. The Reserves won by 8 goals, with several league players doing well.

It's still early days and they've got a lot of work to do to challenge Central and Norwood, but they're improving every game. The usual suspects who form the anti-Collin's chorus have been very quiet lately.

And yes, blacky, the numbers on Glenelg's away jumpers can't be read under lights.

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by bloodsasia Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:55 am

Well done Bloods, very significant win considering it is their first win over a top four side apart from ambush of "underpreparred" Centrals early on. Great signs to see them come from behind and have to score, hasn't been a lot of perfomances like this of late. Momentum and confidence is building and I think they can challenge the top two on the run home and into the business end.
bloodsasia
bloodsasia

Teams : Collingwood

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:54 am

West have a good consistent year, but i cant see them seriously challenging the Legs and Dogs in September.

Glenelg are now falling behind drastically, just a good thing that the other teams below them are unable to capitalise.

Well played to westies.

As for the numbers, its a tactic Very Happy
The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:57 am

Yeah it's unusual for Westies to be behind a few goals and win, but the fact that we had so many scoring shots suggested we were creating enough opportunities to get back in front. I'd think this is the first time we've been 9 and 5 (or better) in 9 years.

But our failure to correct our consistently poor kicking for goal is a worry and will undoubtedly hurt us again, as it did against Norwood.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:59 am

I do hope the bloods can beat norwood in the prelim final.

Collins needs to recruit the FARK training academy.
The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by lachlan Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:03 am

A great win by the bloods. It was a 4 point game. It was good to become from behind and we shyould have won by more

Chris Schmidt has had a fantastic yr. Laird and Crouch once again were very good as was Beech and Hartlett
lachlan
lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by BloodnTars Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:33 am

Average game of footy. West's skill level was poor in the first half, Glenelg's just as bad in the 2nd. It was good to get a win when we didn't play anywhere near our best. Normally in those circumstances we would just continue to lie down and lose by 10+ goals didn't which is good.

Umpiring was inconsistent as usual.

Best on ground would be shared by Chris Schmidt and Tom Lynch (too hard to split). Everytime we kicked the ball forward Lynch seemed to mark. I was surprised we didn't use a Birss or Fielke to try and get him out of way of the footy. Bricknell was sensational after ha;f time (surprised he only had 9 touches) and Jimmy Ezard (also surprised he only had 15 touches but they were all quality) is starting to get back to some of the form that won him a magarey medal. Hartlett was brilliant again and Fergy was just Fergy. Courageous as ever and would just about be the best CHB of the last 10-20 years.

Really impressed with Scharanberg. He looks like a gem.

Whoever decided that white numbers was the way to go on that guernsey needs some explaining to do. Could barely see the numbers from 5 metres away. Felt sorry for the radio callers and stats people.
BloodnTars
BloodnTars

Teams : West Adelaide, Adelaide Crows, Gepps Cross

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:17 am

blacky wrote:Bay's need to have black numbers very hard to see

This was highlighted from the moment they showcased the jumper against Norwood earlier in the season. Interesting to note they did nothing about it. I quite like the idea of the gold jumper with black numbers as Glenelg's away strip, but what's that grey stripe all about? Footy clubs just can't seem to get the away strip concept, trying to come up with works of art rather than effective non-clashing footy jumpers.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:19 pm

For most clubs just reverse the colours would do the trick.
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by mark beswick Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:39 pm

Well done to another 16yr Old from the Bay - MJ Scharenberg

Youngest league debut ever is Cecil Norman Gryst - West Adelaide aged 14 years 270 days Born 4-9-1892 - Played 1 game 1907 - late replacement - played with his older brother v South Adelaide Rd 5 > Then played his 2nd game 2-May 1914 > Source "The Quiz" 1907

James Aish - 16 years 256 Days
D'Arct Hourigan - 16 years 307 Day
Matthew J Scharenberrg 16 years 307 Days
-Dexter Kennedy 15 years Days

There wil be others, but I've only typed game X game stats 1897-1907, 1997, 2002-2012 - For Every Club (West and North Completed)
mark beswick
mark beswick

Back to top Go down

Post by CB10 Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:23 pm

Great win and so much more enjoyable to watch.
So glad the players are now understanding the game plan and are 'taking on' the game so much more than before when they seemed to understood only half the game plan (the defensive half )and seemed to play accordingly.
The team seems to be playing a more 'balanced style of forward football.' You could say a more ying and yang version where yang and ying seem much more in equilibrium.
It might be the same style of football but to the uninitiated it sure seems to lately be troubling the scoreboard more.
Not saying Andy has tweaked the gameplan or emphasised more a.......
(it will come to me) all I'm saying is thankfully the players now seem to be executing a brand of football I think has a real chance to succeed come finals time.
Collins has turned a rabble of a team into a contender.
Ps Don't really care what type of football we call it, only that it's working.

CB10
CB10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next