+5
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Adelaide Hawk
countrycousin
waddayamean
Lee
9 posters

Go down

How accurate is your named team?  Empty How accurate is your named team?

Post by Lee Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:47 pm

Teams are named as a line up.

How accurate is your team's named side when they line up?
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

How accurate is your named team?  Empty Re: How accurate is your named team?

Post by countrycousin Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:34 pm

I must confess that when the play starts these days, I find it hard to work out where half the players are supposed to be anyway. I heard Sanderson say recently that he didn't think in terms of centre half forward etc. These are apparently old fashioned concepts. Now they're all part of the forward "structure". Another one of those meaningless terms that have crept into the game care of the AFL. Rolling Eyes
countrycousin
countrycousin

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:46 am

Norwood's usually isn't far from the mark, it depends upon late inclusions/exclusions courtesy of AFL teams. Half forwards/Wings/Half Backs depends upon match ups.

Last year, every match Suckling would come on after the first minute. I thought that for a "surprise tactic" it must have lost its' surprise element after awhile.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:16 am

Sturt's is habitually wrong and I don't mean just a different spot in a forward line, midfield or back line as match ups obviously come into play there.

But by example, McLeay has been at half forward for the last 6 weeks, but still named at half back. I think sides would have worked this out by now.

Surely all sides do a bit of homework on the opposition rotations too.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ewok Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:52 pm

Generally Roy doesn't name blokes out of the assumed positions, the only time I thought he was taking the mickey recently was naming Evil at full forward against Sturt at Unley. Unfortunately he wasn't joking..
Ewok
Ewok

My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by ca Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:32 pm

I think Norwoods are always way off. I am not fussed about positioning but more the final 21. I actually think the SANFL a bit like the AFL should take a more fixed approach and have a rule

Teams should have to name the 21 with three to four emergencies. The emergencies can only come in for injury. It maybe that they name a squad Thursday but a finalised team on Friday night. I know its a bit hard with AFL players.

I realise I might be on my own but it is a pet hate of mine. Plus there is betting involved.
ca
ca

Back to top Go down

Post by lachlan Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:09 pm

Westies is reasonably accurate however I review our team very closely both in the league and Reserves and have a reasonably
good idea where the players will line up
lachlan
lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:18 pm

ca, I hope I can explain this properly. This scenario happens mainly when Norwood play on a Sunday (which is far too often for my liking). Take last week for instance. Norwood had to deal with the fact that Jonas, Rodan & Brown all may or may not by playing. Also, there were doubts over Cachia and Batsanis who were given until the last minute to prove fitness.

Jonas, Rodan & Brown are three completely different players who bring different aspects to Norwood's balance. You don't replace any of them with the same player.

Until Norwood knows who is available, and what their structure will be, it is impossible to name a final 21. It's the price we pay for having so many fringe AFL players on our list. Once again, it all depends on which players are available that determines which of our squad plays reserves.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by ca Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:37 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:ca, I hope I can explain this properly. This scenario happens mainly when Norwood play on a Sunday (which is far too often for my liking). Take last week for instance. Norwood had to deal with the fact that Jonas, Rodan & Brown all may or may not by playing. Also, there were doubts over Cachia and Batsanis who were given until the last minute to prove fitness.

Jonas, Rodan & Brown are three completely different players who bring different aspects to Norwood's balance. You don't replace any of them with the same player.

Until Norwood knows who is available, and what their structure will be, it is impossible to name a final 21. It's the price we pay for having so many fringe AFL players on our list. Once again, it all depends on which players are available that determines which of our squad plays reserves.

No need to explain as I understand the issues with AFL players. By Friday 5pm AFL sides are settled. There will always be players pulling out late but the clubs would be forced to take from a limited group as afl clubs have to now. As you would know it is ussually known the day before if a player can take part in the game. It's more about not letting the opposition know as with us last week.

I ackowledge it won't happen but I would like to see something put in place.
ca
ca

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:16 pm

The AFL embargo on team releases to 5.55pm Thursday introduced this year has had a flow on effect re SANFL team selections which are all announced around 4.30pm.

In theory the SANFL selections are not suppossed to flag the AFL omissions.

ie Most times you may see SANFL players listed as out when selected to AFL but very rarely will you see dropped AFL players in the SANFL listed as in.

Then throw in the late changes that do occur due to a range of circumstances between a Thursday and game time.

From the games I have covered this year, almost always the 21 who play on game day are not all from the 23 named in squad Thursday night.

PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:44 pm

PhilH wrote:Then throw in the late changes that do occur due to a range of circumstances between a Thursday and game time.

Such as the game a couple of years ago at Norwood Oval when David Rodan was walking down the race at half time of the reserves to get ready for the league game, and by 3/4 time was arriving at Football Park to replace an injured Power player.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down