[ 17 ]
SANFL and/or AFL I_vote_lcap7%SANFL and/or AFL I_vote_rcap 7% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 28

SANFL and/or AFL Empty SANFL and/or AFL

Post by Admin Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:05 pm

We all love our SANFL.

Many of us enjoy the AFL

Are you only interested in one, or both?
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

SANFL and/or AFL Empty Re: SANFL and/or AFL

Post by Ben W Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:23 pm

Very much a fan of the SANFL, a good way to answer your question could be "which side would you rather seen win the flag, your AFL or SANFL side" I dont mind loosely following the Crows, but they very much pale in comparison to the South Adelaide Football Club for me!

Sometimes I watch Essendon matches simply because I like to barrack for Alwyn (Froogy) Davey and I very much enjoy following the careers of other ex SANFL players in the AFL. I have nothing but respect for Hayden Skipworth who fought his way back into the Essendon Side after leaving the SANFL and think he would be an awesome motivational speaker should he ever look for another career outside of coaching.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:42 pm

i was never ever interested in the VFL, i did venture to footy park when the Crows started as we were members of footy park but never felt any allegiance to them (or Port Power when they started) & just enjoyed the spectacle of the game, however about 6 or 7 years ago when all the teams started the chipping around & going backwards i decided that i wasn't paying good money to see that garbage..........from the bits i see on tv they seem to be more attacking these days, however they lost me & i wont be going back bar the odd free ticket i get, anyway i enjoy going to SANFL matches including the neutral games rather than any possible AFL (which is the VFL) clash you could throw at me. eg for me a Glenelg v Port is much more enticing than being offered a say Carlton v Collingwood match ticket
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:15 pm

I've been a SANFL tragic all my life and there's no contest as to who gets my support.

I know there are many here who won't have a bar of the AFL, and I can understand that to the extent of their control of the game, but I fail to understand how any football fan would ignore the skill and the contest of many AFL games.

They are the best players in the land and I could watch Buddy Franklin any day of the week (except against the Crows).

Where SANFL is streets ahead for me is with the history and connection to the fans and the accessibilty and identification we can have as we follow the Bloods, or the Tigers, etc, etc..
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Obviously very close to the SANFL for many reasons and would commonly go to two to three (four, if the opportunity presents) games a round for various reasons, but still maintain a healthy interest in AFL.

Without getting too indepth into the team I support, there are some teams I enjoy watching more than most. Very much like watching Gold Coast play, their style of play is quite attractive and free-flowing as a rule, and certainly great to see not only Gary Ablett Jnr play, but many of the other promising youngsters on the list. While they are getting beaten heavily at present, there is plenty to work with there.

Also partial to seeing Carlton - primarily to watch the player I rate as one of the best I've ever seen, Chris Judd - and Richmond along the way also.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:41 pm

My option wasn't really up there. I enjoy SANFL but have an academic interest in the AFL. I have always been a Hawks fan but could never say I actually enjoy watching AFL ... although a highlights reel of Buddy Franklin is fun to watch.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabre Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:36 pm

What f*****g AFL ???
Evil or Very Mad
Do you mean that bunch of insufferable, egotistical, control freaking Vic. pr!cks who think their suburbs are somehow better than everyone else’s and continually push ‘em down our throats with make-believe plastic teams chocka-block full of our own bloody players, whilst completely ruining long running, highly successful leagues right across Australia that they haven’t got the guts to compete against fair and square ?

p.s. Can you guess which way I voted ?
SANFL and/or AFL 2829010660
Luv,
Sabre
Sabre
Sabre

Teams : Norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:43 pm

errrr,,,

AFL only? SANFL and/or AFL 2678737410
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabre Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:56 pm

I'd shelve those plans for the 'Mind Reading' stall at the show mate !
Laughing
Sabre
Sabre

Teams : Norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:52 pm

Enjoy both but do tend to watch AFL if they're both on at the same except if Sturt are on.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:53 pm

Passionately "hate" everything the AFL stands for.

Sanfl all the way for me .... Real people , real communities ... South flows through the blood. Smile

Southee
Southee

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:02 pm

I'm a fan of both and both have their pros and cons.

The AFL is fantastic in seeing the elite playing. However, matches at AAMI Stadium lack atmosphere - a combination of 95% of the crowd supporting one side and the conservative, quiet nature of Adelaide-based Crows fans.

The SANFL is a fantastic competition, where you can still get that great grass roots atmosphere as crowds are often more even than at AFL matches. Also, SANFL matches are far better off-field than AFL matches for a number of reasons - from crowd atmosphere to less PA rubbish (Noarlunga the exception there) to the variety of food available from SANFL outlets (be it the barbecue, ladies auxiliary cake stalls, or your regular football fare). While SANFL football is often good quality, it isn't the same as AFL, but that's to be expected with the SANFL now a second-tier competition.

I love watching the AFL but there is nothing like going to an SANFL game - there's something special about that local tribal culture the AFL could never capture.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:22 pm

At the heart of it, the AFL is still the VFL and I see that in the crowds.

I make an annual pilgrimage (sometimes more than once) to Melbourne to watch Richmond play at MCG.

We have a great crowd of supporters regardless, but it is much more evident and parochial/tribal against another Victorian side, rather than an interstate side.

The fact that many people in SA still align themselves with a SANFL club as well as the Crows or Power may have something to do with atmosphere. I make the assumption that Victorians may feel more a part of their club simply because that haven't had another competition in their state to compete with (I'm aware of the VFA).

Contrast that to WA, where many people have dumped the WAFL to support WCE or Freo.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down