MightyEagles
bayman
Big Phil
Adelaide Hawk
C.K
22 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

South Australia v Western Australia, Saturday 26 May - Page 3 Empty Re: South Australia v Western Australia, Saturday 26 May

Post by Admin Sat May 26, 2012 7:24 am

Best name?

Trinity Handley.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

South Australia v Western Australia, Saturday 26 May - Page 3 Empty Re: South Australia v Western Australia, Saturday 26 May

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sat May 26, 2012 10:12 am

The Emperor wrote:Dion Flea for WA at $21 is worth a few coins

His name is Fleay which has always interested me because I went to school with a Des Fleay (we called him flea but it's pronounced Flay) and he moved back home to Perth in the 1970s. I've always wondered if he may be his son.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat May 26, 2012 7:25 pm

A strange game. Pretty enjoyable, with some great skills, played in front of a disappointing crowd and lacking atmosphere until the last quarter.

It looked early as if Parry would dominate the ruck, but that seemed to even up as the game went on as Johnson kept getting hitouts and the footy. SA dominated and were always in control, but could never quite get a comfortable lead.

Credit to WA, who twice came back after looking out of the game and hit the front with the first goal of the last quarter, before SA kicked some late goals, to clinch a shaky win.

Random thoughts:

How is Grocke not at least on an AFL list?

Boyd was good, but what percentage of his possessions are from running around the back of the player who has marked?

Lovely skills from Jeremy Clayton.

Chris Schmidt, unobtrusive, but very effective.

All in all, an enjoyable day at the footy, but if you bemoan the primacy of AFL and didn't have a good reason for not attending...........

Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sat May 26, 2012 9:38 pm

STATE FOOTY - FULL TIME @ GLIDEROL

FINAL SCORES

SANFL - 15.11 = 101

WAFL - 13.9 = 87

Croweaters win by 14 points

GOAL KICKERS:

SANFL - A.Grocke 7, R.Kirkby 2, J.Clayton, J.Schiller, S.Gray, N.Liddle, C.Schmidt, L.Jericho 1

WAFL - T.Handley 4, P.Medhurst, I.Richardson 3, J.Smith 2, C.Wulff 1

FOS WILLIAMS MEDAL: Adam Grocke (SA)

FRED SIMPSON MEDAL: Paul Johnson (WA)

MY BEST PLAYERS:

SANFL - A.Grocke, C.Schmidt, J.Boyd, N.Liddle, C.Parry, J.Clayton, P.Thomas, L.Jarrad

WAFL - P.Johnson, L.Blackwell, M.Riggio, K.Hams, C.Wulf, T.Handley, K.Mitchell

FINAL STATS WINNERS: (Courtesy of Champion Data)

http://sanfl.championdata.com/matches/17340102/afl_summary.html

CROWD: 2,843 @ Gliderol Stadium, Glenelg
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat May 26, 2012 11:22 pm

enjoyable day at the footy & it was a great contest & i think the Sandgropers may've gone a bit better (won) on a bigger ground as they seemed very good when given space, well done to the Croweaters who did the right thing with a 1-39 win Wink

bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Sat May 26, 2012 11:35 pm

The game itself was quite entertaining, with SA getting out, WA coming back, and repeat a few times.

Have to agree about the lack of atmosphere at the game. While the cheer squad behind the goals did a fantastic job, it was tough to really get into the game.

The crowd was a little disappointing, but the weather may have had an impact on it.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sun May 27, 2012 9:42 am

IMHO, State football, whereas some players really support the concept, is an anachronism. When I started watching footy in the 60s, a state match against WA or the Big V was the highlight of the year, rivalled only by the Grand Final. It gave us a chance to see the very best players in the country, players we only used to hear about.

In today's world we have a surfeit of football, and to see the best players in the country, all we need to do is flick a switch. With respect to the player, because he played a good game, the winner of the Simpson Medal was someone who couldn't make the Hawthorn team last year.

I used to love my state footy, and still take an interest, but it ceased being a "must-see" many years ago. You only have to look at the AFL's attitude to State of Origin to know where state football rests in today's calendar.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun May 27, 2012 10:17 am

Correct, AH, but as you say, that's the reality.

I'm not in your camp about mostly ignoring the AFL. It has plenty of faults, the 'corporatisation' of the game being the one that doesn't allow me to follow it with any passion, but I think it can be churlish not to acknowledge the skill level of the comp. I also disagree with those who say that they've taken the toughness out of the game. IMO, anyone who steps out on the ground to play AFL is pretty brave and, as you recently said, their ever action of 'bravery' or lack of it is put under the microscope.

As for the SANFL, I'm totally with you. I love the history and love the passion. I've been lucky enough to be continually out on the field, very close to contests and I have nothing but the highest respect for ever player who puts his body on the line each week.

Whatever excuses people make for the low crowd yesterday, you're right, state footy at our level isn't what it used to be and never will be. That's a different question from whether it should continue.

Whether it's Under 16's, SANFL or Amateur League, state games are there to compete against each other and that will continue and should, IMO.

Last edited by redandblack on Sun May 27, 2012 11:13 am; edited 3 times in total
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Sun May 27, 2012 10:44 am

What are peoples thoughts on the low crowd figure?
The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Sun May 27, 2012 10:47 am

Really disappointing, to be honest. I was expecting 4,500 or so, and the game deserved a much bigger crowd than 2,800 or so. There didn't seem to be much atmosphere around some parts of the ground either, which was more disappointing.

C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Sun May 27, 2012 10:51 am

I thought that the poor weather all week leading into the match didnt help.

I think playing it at a suburban ground is a good idea, perhaps in future play it underlights at the Parade.

The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun May 27, 2012 10:51 am

The lack of atmosphere reflects the original Crows problem, where everyone is supporting the same team.

It was only in the last quarter, when the result was in doubt, that the atmosphere lifted.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sun May 27, 2012 10:59 am

I agree the game itself deserved a much bigger crowd, but I was expecting 3,000 based on comments I've heard from people who support SANFL matches but had little interest in the state game. Also, I was expecting it to bucket down, and whereas people will get wet in support of their local clubs, it was too easy to take the day off footy and find something else to do.

I was really embarrassed when someone suggested the players run a lap of honour. Anyone in the outer had either walked across to see the after-match presentations, or they'd gone home. Good to see the players used common sense in that regard.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Sun May 27, 2012 1:17 pm

I had real fears that with the weather the crowd would be under 2K.

That said I am pretty sure it is the lowest ever crowd in SA for a state game.

Recent Home Crowds
- 2008 v VFL - 5,596 (Sat Aft)
- 2006 v WAFL - 5,034 (Fri Night)
- 2002 v VFL, 4,057
- 2001 - v VFL - 7,300
- 2000 - v WAFL - 2,915 (Fri Night)

Recent Crowds Interstate
- 2009 at Leederville (WA)- 2,200
- 2005 at Port Melbourne - 2,360
- 2003 at Fremantle - 6,345
- 1997 at ACTAFL Park - 2,496
- 1996 at Subiaco - 9,260
- 1995 at North Hobart - 4,198

Interestingly the VFL v Tasmania game in Hobart (Bellerieve) attracted a crowd of 1,236

PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Sun May 27, 2012 1:26 pm

Given it happens once every two years I think the best solution is add $2 to the cost of every home and season ticket

These ticket holders then get free entry to the state game as a reward for being a loyal supporter of SANFL football.

Even if each club averages 700 of these ticket holders that's 6300 across the league x $4 = $25,200 income over two years.

this equals 1,800 full paying adults which a strongly doubt they achieved yesterday when you take out
- kids
- officials, players, media, umpires
- those who only paid $10
- concession who paid $8 or $5

It would lead to a larger crowd, better atmosphere, an expectation that as a home match / season ticket holder you should be at the game and possibly a larger gate income.

PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun May 27, 2012 1:28 pm

PhilH wrote:I had real fears that with the weather the crowd would be under 2K.

That said I am pretty sure it is the lowest ever crowd in SA for a state game.

Recent Home Crowds
- 2008 v VFL - 5,596 (Sat Aft)
- 2006 v WAFL - 5,034 (Fri Night)
- 2002 v VFL, 4,057
- 2001 - v VFL - 7,300
- 2000 - v WAFL - 2,915 (Fri Night)

Recent Crowds Interstate
- 2009 at Leederville (WA)- 2,200
- 2005 at Port Melbourne - 2,360
- 2003 at Fremantle - 6,345
- 1997 at ACTAFL Park - 2,496
- 1996 at Subiaco - 9,260
- 1995 at North Hobart - 4,198

Interestingly the VFL v Tasmania game in Hobart (Bellerieve) attracted a crowd of 1,236

perhaps the crowd in Hobart was due to the fact that the Vics were considered absolute certainties, their pre match odds were 1/100 ($1.01)

as for our game i think the weather forecast along with friday nights rain put a few hundred off going

i wonder how many more people would have gone if it was against the Vics ?

did the Adelaide v Collingwood match stop people attending ?

after attending many games over 40 years at the bay i think the crowd figure given was sadly well over the real figure

i also think the price structure was all wrong, should've been about $5.00 to showcase it
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Sun May 27, 2012 1:50 pm

This may be drawing a very long bow in why the crowd was low but could the venue have been a factor in the low crowd? While Glenelg is relatively easy to get to regardless of transport method, not being a central location meant those taking public transport were in for a decent trip. While they may be happy to do it to see their own team play, they may not have bothered for the state game.

Also, given Glenelg's CEO comments about Centrals supporters last year, I wonder if any Centrals supporters boycotted the game in protest.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Hong Kong Fooee Sun May 27, 2012 2:05 pm

I Fear for the future of State Football. It can never be the same as before the Crow and Power eras began. Try as we may to hype it up, and generate interest in it, the majority of people as vindicated by the crowd, could take it or leave it. I reckon they voted to leave it.
Hong Kong Fooee
Hong Kong Fooee

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Sun May 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Agreed that on TV it looked much more like a 2K than 3K crowd, unless they were all on the granstand side.

I thought state footy was dead after 2009 .... but its the AFL that have revived it at least for a six year program.

It makes sense to them from a mature age recruitment standpoint that approx 120 of the best non-AFL players in the country get the chance to play against each other at a higher level than normal, the closest possible the AFL.

PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabre Sun May 27, 2012 4:33 pm

Yes, most of the crowd were on the grandstand side.

I feel sorry for anyone who missed the best of S.A. and W.A. in Saturday’s clash. Those Sandgropers REALLY came to play!
The vigour and utterly committed body collisions, especially in the 1st quarter on the grandstand boundary, were tough and furious.
The best men from 2 states were desperately trying to physically dominate each other as early as possible and no-one anywhere took a backwards step. Our S.A. blokes absorbed everything thrown at ‘em, then gave it all back and more. Hit for crunching hit. I reckon we intimidated our opposition a little from that moment on. God I love grassroots state footy !!!

Well done to everyone from WA too. Only a very worthy opponent can make a victory so sweet.
Congratulations to all the S.A. players, coaches, trainers and officials! You did us proud!

Long live State Footy – LOVE IT !
Very Happy
Sabre
Sabre

Teams : Norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sun May 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Well said Sabre, it was certainly an entertaining game to watch, but just a hypothetical question. What if Jericho, Webber and Batsanis all sustained season ending injuries from the game, would you still be positive about state footy?
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Sun May 27, 2012 5:39 pm

Sabre wrote:Yes, most of the crowd were on the grandstand side.

I feel sorry for anyone who missed the best of S.A. and W.A. in Saturday’s clash. Those Sandgropers REALLY came to play!
The vigour and utterly committed body collisions, especially in the 1st quarter on the grandstand boundary, were tough and furious.
The best men from 2 states were desperately trying to physically dominate each other as early as possible and no-one anywhere took a backwards step. Our S.A. blokes absorbed everything thrown at ‘em, then gave it all back and more. Hit for crunching hit. I reckon we intimidated our opposition a little from that moment on. God I love grassroots state footy !!!

Well done to everyone from WA too. Only a very worthy opponent can make a victory so sweet.
Congratulations to all the S.A. players, coaches, trainers and officials! You did us proud!

Long live State Footy – LOVE IT !
Very Happy

I was sitting around 20 metres from one of these, and it was one of the hardest contests I've seen all year - and heard. All completely within the spirit and laws of the game too, just good, honest, tough footy.

The game was played in fantastic spirits throughout by both teams. Noted a few times where players from either state would pass each other inside the interchange, and a quick pat on the back or ruffle of the hair. Post-game, plenty of discussion between the states also, as well as at least one South Australian talk about whether they would swap jumpers with their W.A opponents.

The game itself was absolutely befitting of state football. It's just so unfortunate that it wasn't given the support it richly deserved from many supporters. The crowd lining up for the bus to the Adelaide v Collingwood game post-match was enormous. I very nearly said to them, walking past, they had already missed the best match that would be played that day but held my thoughts.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabre Sun May 27, 2012 6:53 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:What if Jericho, Webber and Batsanis all sustained season ending injuries from the game, would you still be positive about state footy?

A resounding YES ‘AH’ !
But I know what you mean mate, I had my fingers crossed throughout the game. Wink
When you think about it, Rugby League's ‘State Of Origin’ series doesn’t seem to have a problem with THREE gruelling games in the middle of their season, so why are we so precious about it?
Any injury is an unfortunate loss for any player or club, but in my opinion, we must all do our bit for our state, risk or no risk.
However, so that any of our local club’s premiership chances are not lost through top players being injured, I would prefer that interstate matches or carnivals be played at the end of the season following Grand Finals in all states. Fair enough ?
Cool
Sabre
Sabre

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sun May 27, 2012 6:58 pm

Yeah, that's fair enough. Not sure about matches after the Grand Final, I remember the Norwood boys trying to raise a gallop in the 1975 Champions of Australia after being on the turps all week. The other problem would be the match fitness of players from clubs who missed the finals and haven't played a competitive game in over 4 weeks.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabre Sun May 27, 2012 7:11 pm

The '75 Norwood players would have been in a better state than I was a week later ! Wink
I reckon the state coach should be able to keep his charges primed with occasional training sessions.
And don't forget it would be the same for every state.
Smile
Sabre
Sabre

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next