bayman
Flag No.10
Panthers64
Lee
9 posters

Go down

An 8 team League Empty An 8 team League

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:01 am

This is a highly speculative topic, but if Port and Crows ultimately head to an expanded or other AFL second tier competition, what does that look like for the SANFL?

I read a Facebook thread on this subject the other day and what may or could occur. Things like;
- inviting some VFL clubs not part of the AFL second tier, joining the sanfl. Not sure how practical that would be.
- A NT club? Has been suggested before.
- Leaving it at 8 clubs as it once was pre 1964
- Looking at other clubs joining from SA. Maybe a strong or combined amateur club?
- Country clubs?
- New clubs altogether - where would they come from in the SA Metro Area?
Although I think an existing club somewhere would be easier to introduce.

You would think the SANFL might quietly be considering all of this behind the scenes if and when the departure of the Crows / Port looms. Given that they have both flagged such a move, you would think that the SANFL putting its head in the sand is not really an option.

Personally, albeit without knowing how the financials stack up, an 8 club competition would return the league to a fair platform for all (or at least as much as it can be), with committed clubs to a central cause and without other agendas to follow.

Here's one out of left field....

Would it be desirable, interesting and sustainable platform to have an 8 club SANFL involved / affiliated more closely with the Amateur (SAAFL)? Perhaps a system where like in English Football there is a relegation system? 1 goes up, 1 goes down?

This is an open forum to discuss these possibilities.

Fire away...
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

An 8 team League Empty Re: An 8 team League

Post by bayman Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:46 am

When it happens then ch 7 will disappear to the afl reserves competition, so maybe the ABC might be interested but most likely would be the streaming service….

No more teams from anywhere, costs would be too much money anyway.

What I’d like to see is maybe have the wafl v sanfl and say the VFL and a Tasmanian team play off on the Saturday
before the afl grand final and on the Friday night before the afl grand Final the two winners play in the club championship game, alternate where the final is played, in Victoria play at Marvel & in the other states play at the main stadiums to start with to ascertain what kind of crowd you get….lets say it is Subiaco v Central at the Adelaide oval with free entry, would you go ?
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:10 pm

8 teams suffice until the AFL stops introducing new AFL teams and raping the various camps for player lists.

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:47 am

The 8 existing SANFL clubs would be the ideal competition. The relegation system would be a fatal blow for the SANFL club(s) that get relegated.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:04 pm

Promotion and relegation is not financially possible.

Too expensive for the promoyed team, ruinous for the relegated.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Panthers64 Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:08 pm

Given that all 8 clubs have u/14, u/16, u/18 , res, league, and 2 women’s teams there is a good basis for stability. I don’t think reserves are sustainable, and would hope league salary cap would be closer to $500k in the future. I would see season extended to 21 minor rounds , the top 4 playing 3 weeks of finals. SANFL should get a better deal from Adelaide Oval (or Reedman Stadium as it should be renamed). Every SANFL club that provides an AFL player to receive $100k - $300k depending on AFL matches played. ABC to televise the match of the round and the finals. State carnival every year. Matches start at 2.20pm on Saturday.Red point posts returned. I feel better already!
Panthers64
Panthers64

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:02 am

Out of all the possibilities, leaving the competition at 8 teams does seem the most immediate scenario and there is plenty of logic to that.

Certainly the Crows are no great loss, but losing Port is a bit of a shame to a traditionalist. However, Port sewed the seeds of their destiny 27 years ago when they wanted "in" to the AFL.

Would this in fact have effect in increasing the salary cap as suggested?
Would the loss of 2 teams increase overall revenues to allow this? I am not so sure.

It certainly seems apparent that the Ch7 coverage desires the Port / Crows involvement and is key to their support of the sanfl.

My crystal ball gazing foresees a leaner competition and possibly at the expense of the number of underage / reserves programs.

Media interest in the sanfl is already at an all time low and this wouldn't get any better with the 8 teams. The sanfl would largely have to do all of its own self-promotion through things like the digital pass, internet and paid advertising as it does now, but to a larger extent. There would be little reliance on commercial print, radio and television media.

Operationally 21 rounds would be quite neat - teams playing each other an even 3 times. Maybe 3 extra rounds might make up for the loss of the 2 AFL teams in match revenues. Maybe.

My crystal ball is telling me that clubs themselves will probably need to get quite innovative in how they operate and self promote. You see some of this now, but likely would need further lateral thinking. Along the lines of diminishing reliance on pokie revenue in favour of more community minded programs. This is already in train with wheelchair competition, the increasing attention given to women's football among other events that clubs participate in at a local level.

Now the question is when will this happen? IE 8 team league.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by goddy11 Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:08 pm

I want a 21-round season. No byes or maybe 1 bye for a state match.

The interest in the comp did not rely on the Crows or PA.

I just hope our best player are not taken as fill ins.
goddy11
goddy11

Teams : crows,ealges,
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:36 am

I see Chris Scott yesterday was proposing cutting AFL list sizes back by about 10 players for each club, on the proviso that AFL clubs could draw on players from lower leagues at a week's notice. Without having given this much thought, I'd think one possible consequence is that many of those types of players will want to sign with VFL clubs because there are so many AFL teams in Melbourne, making the toing and froing that much easier.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:25 pm

Flag No.10 wrote:I see Chris Scott yesterday was proposing cutting AFL list sizes back by about 10 players for each club, on the proviso that AFL clubs could draw on players from lower leagues at a week's notice. Without having given this much thought, I'd think one possible consequence is that many of those types of players will want to sign with VFL clubs because there are so many AFL teams in Melbourne, making the toing and froing that much easier.

so what happens to the proposed afl reserves competition ?

they all worry about their own agendas
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:40 pm

goddy11 wrote:I want a 21-round season. No byes or maybe 1 bye for a state match.

The interest in the comp did not rely on the Crows or PA.

I just hope our best player are not taken as fill ins.

Yep this works. Same as the covid year, except playing each other 3 times, not 2.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:50 pm

Paul
Goddy
3 x Each other
1 Home
1 Away
1 Country venue

I include the neutral venue
Otherwise teams to play twice at home and once away or vice versa
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am

I like the country venue idea.
The league did a bit of this 10-15 years ago.
I went and saw Sturt and West at Waikerie and Mannum years ago.
Country footy vibe is good and takes the game wider than just Adelaide.

I think the sanfl will need to look at these sorts of innovative ideas to promote its brand to a new generation beyond the 50+ loyalists.

I actually wonder if kids these days even align themselves to s sanfl club. My eldest (now 28) never really got into it, but seemed to have a very (as in very) mild affinity with Sturt just because I did. I had to laugh a little when I came home and he asked "how did WE go?"
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 pm

I agree re the country idea. Could have 10 home games, 10 away games and then a country game for each team. Host a game in your country zone alternate years.

Could also take a leaf out of Test cricket’s book, and play for a trophy between sides each year. I believe some sides already do it? Best of three. The Gowans-Cicolella Cup for instance - between Centrals and Eagles.

The 8 teams will work well. We’ve lost a generation of supporters who have had the easy option of supporting the Crows or Power Reserves in the SANFL and not needing to take any notice of the traditional clubs from their local area.

I’d also love to see some sort of Champions League/FA Cup type set up to determine the best team in the state outside the SANFL. The final played as a curtain raiser to the SANFL Grand Final.

Along the lines of more country games in the SANFL season - let’s celebrate footy statewide in SA by bringing everyone together at Adelaide Oval on Grand Final day, no matter which team you support.

The SANFL must work on making its competition an affordable, accessible alternative to the AFL. A place to meet friends and bring family of all ages. The AFL can be tough for smaller kids or the frail elderly to attend. The SANFL should capitalise more on that.

Also make it a quality media production so people will be willing to part with cash for SANFL Now or it will attract new followers if streamed on Kayo etc.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by goddy11 Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:59 am

Aerie wrote:I agree re the country idea. Could have 10 home games, 10 away games and then a country game for each team. Host a game in your country zone alternate years.

Could also take a leaf out of Test cricket’s book, and play for a trophy between sides each year. I believe some sides already do it? Best of three. The Gowans-Cicolella Cup for instance - between Centrals and Eagles.

The 8 teams will work well. We’ve lost a generation of supporters who have had the easy option of supporting the Crows or Power Reserves in the SANFL and not needing to take any notice of the traditional clubs from their local area.

I’d also love to see some sort of Champions League/FA Cup type set up to determine the best team in the state outside the SANFL. The final played as a curtain raiser to the SANFL Grand Final.

Along the lines of more country games in the SANFL season - let’s celebrate footy statewide in SA by bringing everyone together at Adelaide Oval on Grand Final day, no matter which team you support.

The SANFL must work on making its competition an affordable, accessible alternative to the AFL. A place to meet friends and bring family of all ages. The AFL can be tough for smaller kids or the frail elderly to attend. The SANFL should capitalise more on that.

Also make it a quality media production so people will be willing to part with cash for SANFL Now or it will attract new followers if streamed on Kayo etc.

Some good points there.

What about a few double header weekends at various country centers. Mt Gambia, Whyalla, Barossa Pirie, Victor, Port Lincoln. Not sure if the towns could accommodate many teams. Surely good TV opps here.

Wouldnt it be great if the AFL funded it? Twisted Evil
goddy11
goddy11

Teams : crows,ealges,
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down