Ports’ best player.....who is your choice

Go down

Ports’ best player.....who is your choice Empty Ports’ best player.....who is your choice

Post by bayman on Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:42 pm

Who is the best player to have played for Port Adelaide ? ( Port in any form over their complete history 150 year history)
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Ports’ best player.....who is your choice Empty Re: Ports’ best player.....who is your choice

Post by bayman on Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:43 pm

My answer will be posted on Sunday evening, my choice played pre afl days
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Ports’ best player.....who is your choice Empty Re: Ports’ best player.....who is your choice

Post by C.K on Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:46 pm

Don't reckon there is too much argument over this one. No player will ever win 4 Magarey Medals again (although a school of thought that James Allan should have) and maintained such a high standard to the end of his playing days. Russell Ebert for mine.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:21 pm

With all due respect, we can only be relieved that James Allan didn't equal Russell Ebert.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:56 pm

Ebert - pretty obvious I think ;
but I'm told Bob Quinn was an exceptional player. Won a Magarey before the war ,missed 3-4 years because of the war where he was severely wounded, and won a Military Medal-then won another Magarey after the war.
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:56 pm

I would have said Russell Ebert like most others & is definitely the best Port player I’ve seen, however I only recently found out that there is a player with better credentials than Russell Ebert has & his name is

Hayden Bunton Snr

3 Brownlow & 3 Sandover medals among many other accolades would have him as the best player ever to represent Port Adelaide

He played in 1945 for one season after the war & retired after the 1945 grand final won by West Torrens who defeated Port
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:51 am

6 medals is pretty hard to beat.

I too have heard from old time Port people just how highly regarded Bob Quinn is. Maybe won't pip Ebert but they say he was pretty special. And nearly lost a leg in the war and came back and played to the same level.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy on Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:11 pm

Excellent choice by Bayman
After researching BH Snr Im inclined to think that he is the best player to don a PA jumper
But I cant be entirely sure in comparing players from different eras
If HB Snr is a better player than Russell Ebert, he would have been one hec of a player
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:33 am

If we leave HB Snr and Ebert and their combined 10 medals out of it.
Who would be Port's next 3 best players of all time?

I think Quinn would certainly be one of them.
Motley would be up there in contention.
People might err toward Fos Williams, but I think his legacy is mostly from a coaching aspect.
Plus a big pack of possibles - Cahill, Phillips, Obst, Evans amongst them.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum