Scrunch
UncleHuey
Admin
11 posters

Go down

Norwood v W/WT Round 11 Empty Norwood v W/WT Round 11

Post by Admin Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:13 pm

The Parade, 2.40pm. Channel 7.

Can the Eagles continue their resurgence or will the Redlegs prevail on home turf?
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Norwood v W/WT Round 11 Empty Re: Norwood v W/WT Round 11

Post by UncleHuey Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:53 pm

Should be a good game this one and hard to pick. Eagles are playing well, they have re-found their mojo.
The Legs at home are always hard to beat, but they have a few injuries at present.

Eagles have lost Hayes and Johansen so their attack is weakened. I think the Legs at home by 5 points.

Congratulations of Boyd for playing his 200th game
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:24 pm

Tough one to pick, think the Eagles by under 20 points but could really go either way.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:50 am

Norwood v W/WT Round 11 Rd_11_15
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:05 pm

Great game great win Eagles
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:23 pm

For all of the reasons people dislike/hate/sneer/scoff the Eagles, boring can be crossed off the list.  One simply does not score 22 goals as an opposition side at the Parade by being boring.  Heck, in any match in an era where scoring 100 points as a huge achievement, 22 goals is not boring.

Under the current rules, centre clearances are a crucial must win, and with both Guilhaus and Redden working well in the rucks and the collection of midfielders getting the ball out (even contributions = no Magarey Medal yet again), really helps to give the forwards extra time to set up a goal.

That's about as bad I've seen Norwood play personally (I didn't see the 2015 Woodville match).  It may have been a fair deal closer had some of the players missing played, but on the other hand, how do we fit Toumpas, Johansen, J. Hayes, Rowland, Gray (if he recovers by the end of the season), and the host of players in the Reserves with League and even AFL experience into the side?

Last edited by spell_check on Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:42 pm

And, that was the highest score against Norwood since Central put up 34.7 in Round 13 2007 (that seems like ages ago, huh); the highest score against Norwood @ Norwood since Central scored 23.11, 7 rounds earlier than that.

It was also actually the highest score Eagles have scored against Norwood, beating 21.10 in Round 4 2008.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:44 pm

spell_check wrote:For all of the reasons people dislike/hate/sneer/scoff the Eagles, boring can be crossed off the list.  One simply does not score 22 goals as an opposition side at the Parade by being boring.  Heck, in any match in an era where scoring 100 points as a huge achievement, 22 goals is not boring.

Under the current rules, centre clearances are a crucial must win, and with both Guilhaus and Redden working well in the rucks and the collection of midfielders getting the ball out, really helps to give the forwards extra time to set up a goal.

That's about as bad I've seen Norwood play personally (I didn't see the 2015 Woodville match).  It may have been a fair deal closer had some of the players missing played, but on the other hand, how do we fit Toumpas, Johansen, J. Hayes, Rowland, Gray (if he recovers by the end of the season), and the host of players in the Reserves with League and even AFL experience into the side?

Totally agree with you Spelly
On Facebook I’m being told by Norwood fans would’ve been different with 5 or 6 of their injured players in . I just answer with our three outs as in would’ve been a different story as well .
We lost the seconds but Morgan kicked 7 goals .
Sams coaching style seems to be improving the Eagles totally !!
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:34 pm

I might add, even though the scoreboard attendants tried to wipe off evidence of the score seconds after the final siren, the plush video screen taking the Channel 7 feed always reminded you of where the game was at.

In a nice gesture, the announcer made acknowledgement of Boyd's 200th match, as was the guard of honour by the Norwood players after the match.  Much respect to them.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:32 pm

mickyj wrote:
spell_check wrote:For all of the reasons people dislike/hate/sneer/scoff the Eagles, boring can be crossed off the list.  One simply does not score 22 goals as an opposition side at the Parade by being boring.  Heck, in any match in an era where scoring 100 points as a huge achievement, 22 goals is not boring.

Under the current rules, centre clearances are a crucial must win, and with both Guilhaus and Redden working well in the rucks and the collection of midfielders getting the ball out, really helps to give the forwards extra time to set up a goal.

On Facebook I’m being told by Norwood fans would’ve been different with 5 or 6 of their injured players in . I just answer with our three outs as in would’ve been a different story as well .

6 Unavailable Norwood players may not have made a difference of 54 points
But the 9 + Norwood players who ended up unavailable may have
I reckon 6-7 of those players are in Norwoods best starting 21
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:07 pm

Scrappy wrote:
mickyj wrote:

6 Unavailable Norwood players may not have made a difference of 54 points
But the 9 + Norwood players who ended up unavailable may have
I reckon 6-7 of those players are in Norwoods best starting 21

And eagles had 4 players out of the 22 with injury personal reasons state game .
So with those 4 in and Norwood’s 6/7 players might have been a higher scoring game .
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:17 pm

Eagles had 4-5 good to very good players out as well

Norwood had a total of at least 9 good to very good players out
They were
Key Forwards : Surman, Taheny
Midfielders/Wingers : Panos, Nunn , Smart, Abbott , Stephens
Defenders : Bode, Tahlia

Who knows what would have happened had both sides been at full strength

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Feathers Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:07 am

Scrappy wrote:Eagles had 4-5 good to very good players out as well

Norwood had a total of at least 9 good to very good players out
They were
Key Forwards : Surman, Taheny
Midfielders/Wingers : Panos, Nunn , Smart, Abbott , Stephens
Defenders : Bode, Tahlia

Who knows what would have happened had both sides been at full strength

Surman wasn't considered good enough, played in the reserves, cross him off your list.

It's not really about what players are available but the attitude. The 6-9 outs for Norwood if played, might have still had the deplorable attitude as those that played and would have led to a loss.

Feathers
Feathers

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:49 pm

Big win by the Eagles, they have certainly turned their season around.

UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Premiers Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:21 pm

The good thing about the win was it was achieved without huge games from Foote (tagged), though still good and Petrenko while Lonergan was looked underdone with match fitness. No passengers.
Like to see Sharrad 's first intention to give off with a handball/kick rather than tucking the ball under arm and trying to crash through, getting caught and stopping our run-of-play - but he is improving.
One of Boyd's best games. Gave ball off well, did hurt opposition by good disposal forward direction. Better than some of his 37 disposal games.
Glenelg's height in their forward lines will be a new test for us.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Post by goddy11 Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:36 pm

Premiers wrote:The good thing about the win was it was achieved without huge games from Foote (tagged), though still good and Petrenko while Lonergan was looked underdone with match fitness. No passengers.  
Like to see Sharrad 's first intention to give off with a handball/kick rather than tucking the ball under arm and trying to crash through, getting caught and stopping our run-of-play - but he is improving.
One of Boyd's best games. Gave ball off well, did hurt opposition by good disposal forward direction. Better than some of his 37 disposal games.
Glenelg's height in their forward lines will be a new test for us.  

Good point on Boyd. He has come back from being dropped playing in a positive way. His disposal was a feature. I liked Sharrad's game. I thought his ball getting and disposal were vg. We had a few injured on the bench late in the game. Hope their ok for 2 weeks time.
goddy11
goddy11

Teams : crows,ealges,

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:28 pm

Thats as poor as I've seen Norwood in some time. Always hard to work out after a performance like that how much comes down to a team playing poorly vs an opponent that forced them to play poorly. The Eagles were very (very) impressive. Yes Norwood were missing some good players (as were the Eagles) but the gulf in intensity, run, and ball use was chalk and cheese. The Eagles can challenge anyone in September if they can replicate that performance (mind you they'll have to do that against much better opposition than Norwood provided at the weekend).

I'm putting a line through Norwood as a genuine Premiership contender. Whilst any club in this day and age would struggle to replace 9 first choice players, there was nothing convincing about their form prior to the injuries anyway.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:02 pm

I watched a fair bit of it on TV, Scrunch and agree with you. It was as poor as I've seen Norwood at the Parade. They didn't seem to have much intensity, as you say. Barry gave them some pace, Wilson zipped in and out, but the Eagles just seemed to have winners in most positions, especially in attack when it was needed.

I wouldn't write the Legs off yet, though, there's a long way to go and i don't think any team is way better than the others. A lot will depend on injuries at Adelaide and Port.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down