firstblood
The Emperor
Admin
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hypothetical question for SANFL fans Empty Hypothetical question for SANFL fans

Post by Admin Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:24 pm

If you could change one thing about the SANFL- apart from the two AFL Reserves teams - what would you change?
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hypothetical question for SANFL fans Empty Re: Hypothetical question for SANFL fans

Post by bayman Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:26 pm

get rid of John Olsen
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Hypothetical question for SANFL fans Empty Re: Hypothetical question for SANFL fans

Post by The Emperor Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:55 pm

Double Headers
The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:07 pm

bayman wrote:get rid of John Olsen

Beat me to it

Return to a 20 game season

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by scott Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:23 pm

Stop the clock at every ball up like AFL timing. Longer quarters = higher scores.

The average SANFL quarter lasts 26-28 minutes which equates to 104-112 minutes for the entire game, while the average AFL quarter lasts 30-32 minutes, which is 120-128 minutes. Because so much time is wasted.
scott
scott

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:25 pm

scott wrote:Stop the clock at every ball up like AFL timing. Longer quarters = higher scores.

The average SANFL quarter lasts 26-28 minutes which equates to 104-112 minutes for the entire game, while the average AFL quarter lasts 30-32 minutes, which is 120-128 minutes. Because so much time is wasted.

couldn't they just go back to the traditional 25 minutes plus time on to appease that ?
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:29 pm

scott wrote:Stop the clock at every ball up like AFL timing. Longer quarters = higher scores.

The issue is in the middle of winter, games would end in near-darkness - which happened a few times in 2006 when the SANFL adopted the AFL rule.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:05 am

Get sanfl board and senior executives to put sanfl clubs first and stop dropping thier pants at every oportunity to please the afl
oldfella
oldfella

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:50 am

oldfella wrote:Get sanfl board and senior executives to put sanfl clubs first and stop dropping thier pants at every oportunity to please the afl

Ditto
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:48 am

Drop admission prices back down to $10 an adult and $5 for concession card holders.
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:07 pm

firstblood wrote:Drop admission prices back down to $10 an adult and $5 for concession card holders.

Yep seeing I’m a concession card holder I agree
Need lower prices on food to bring in families surely it’s cheaper to take your kids to the SANFL than the AFL . Kids come stay longer
mickyj
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by scott Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:53 pm

Brucetiki wrote:

The issue is in the middle of winter, games would end in near-darkness - which happened a few times in 2006 when the SANFL adopted the AFL rule.
Yeah you're right, but there's ways around it. Nothing wrong with scheduling winter games to begin at 1:40pm if need be. Might upset a few, but the benefits of longer games which will no doubt equal higher scoring will far outweigh any downside.

What happened in 2006 anyway? We had 49 games out of 90 that involved a match aggregate score in excess of 200. Last season it was just six off the top of my head.

TV games have been scheduled for 2:40pm starts for the last few years which have been finishing at 5:20pm normally, so having games with longer quarters starting at 2:10pm will finish at 5:00pm.
scott
scott

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:10 pm

scott wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:

Yeah you're right, but there's ways around it. Nothing wrong with scheduling winter games to begin at 1:40pm if need be. Might upset a few, but the benefits of longer games which will no doubt equal higher scoring will far outweigh any downside.

What happened in 2006 anyway? We had 49 games out of 90 that involved a match aggregate score in excess of 200. Last season it was just six off the top of my head.

TV games have been scheduled for 2:40pm starts for the last few years which have been finishing at 5:20pm normally, so having games with longer quarters starting at 2:10pm will finish at 5:00pm.

Something happened in 2017 two games at Woodville oval started late and basically finished at sun set you basically couldn’t see what was going on the field
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:19 am

Start the Reserves matches earlier, thus playing more than the allocated 28 minute quarters

I can envisage something similar to this happening
Using this as a fictitious example

******* As I understand things *******

Glenelg reserves have just kicked at goal at the 27.10 minute mark, the clock is ticking , 50 seconds left in the match
They have hit the front by 1 point , the clock is ticking
11-3 [69] Glenelg
7-26 [68] Norwood

The ball is gathered by Bayman behind the goals , the clock is ticking
Bayman wont release the ball , the clock is ticking
Norwood supporters are irate , the clock is ticking
Scrunch chases Bayman to dispossess him of the football, the clock is ticking
Bayman dodges Scrunch and wont relay the ball back to the field, the clock is ticking

The siren goes, no play in the last 50 seconds
Bayman then throws the ball to the boundary umpire
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:43 am

Here is a related matter to the title of this thread.

I read recently that Gillon McLachlan is looking at ways to increase player movements in the AFL. Things like what the NBA and NFL do like;
1 reintroduce mid-season draft
2 allow say up to 2 players to come into squad mid-season from other leagues
3 Allow players on loan for say up to 4 weeks to other clubs (a bit like the EPL)

These are just a few things under deliberation and consideration.

So in relation to number 2, where do you think they might get these players from? This could have serious ramifications for a sanfl club when marquee or your best players are targeted. I know sanfl clubs are fairly forgiving when players get their afl opportunity. But I actually think clubs are too forgiving.

For example, Sturt seemed extremely happy for Patrick Wilson to go to the Crows for his "shot" at the big time. I wouldn't be so forgiving particularly when he ends up laying against you, ala a Brett Eddy, a Lienert etc.

How much does the sanfl need to compromise itself, just to keep the afl onside?
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by goddy11 Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:57 am

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:Here is a related matter to the title of this thread.

I read recently that Gillon McLachlan is looking at ways to increase player movements in the AFL. Things like what the NBA and NFL do like;
1 reintroduce mid-season draft
2 allow say up to 2 players to come into squad mid-season from other leagues
3 Allow players on loan for say up to 4 weeks to other clubs (a bit like the EPL)

These are just a few things under deliberation and consideration.

So in relation to number 2, where do you think they might get these players from? This could have serious ramifications for a sanfl club when marquee or your best players are targeted. I know sanfl clubs are fairly forgiving when players get their afl opportunity. But I actually think clubs are too forgiving.

For example, Sturt seemed extremely happy for Patrick Wilson to go to the Crows for his "shot" at the big time. I wouldn't be so forgiving particularly when he ends up laying against you, ala a Brett Eddy, a Lienert etc.

How much does the sanfl need to compromise itself, just to keep the afl onside?
Good point Chambo. We need our club contracts like years ago that are watertight in regards movement. Make the AFL clubs pay big. We already lose our player to Rookies for nothing and they play against our clubs. The 2 AFL clubs here totally control the SANFL already.
goddy11
goddy11

Teams : crows,ealges,

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:01 pm

It reminds me of the mid season draft when Tony Lynn got picked up from Central, this may have cost them a flag in the mid 1990’s ......now every club recruits trying to improve their lists to give the best chance of making finals, they do this & get into a position to challenge for the premiership & then the rug gets pulled out & back to square one......a mid season draft should not be tolerated but most of our clubs will agree to “any request”  now I suppose it could be seen as a “restraint of trade” but if the VFL whoops the AFL was serious about having football healthy at all levels one would think that a mid season draft is morally wrong...I’ve no problem between seasons as every player deserves his chance but not mid season....had Scott MacMahon & Kory Beard been picked up mid season two years ago would Sturt have won the last two premierships ?
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:01 pm

Probably not. Even a bunch of other names would have made it extremely hard to cover.

Club depth in key positions isn't that deep, so you hit those and the balance of a side can be thrown out of whack very quickly.

I think part of Sturt's success is that we have not been hit hard to key positions either through injury or afl draft in the last 2 years.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:05 pm

Scrappy wrote:Start the Reserves matches earlier, thus playing more than the allocated 28 minute quarters

Glenelg reserves have just kicked at goal at the 27.10 minute mark, the clock is ticking , 50 seconds left in the match
11-3 [69] Glenelg
7-26 [68] Norwood

Bayman dodges Scrunch and wont relay the ball back to the field, the clock is ticking

Scrunch can't catch Bayman so bribes him with a pasty
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Scrappy wrote:Start the Reserves matches earlier, thus playing more than the allocated 28 minute quarters

11-3 [69] Glenelg
7-26 [68] Norwood

Actually seen seen time rorting as described years ago when i was a timekeeper for west adelaide --- opposition got the lead by a couple of points with approx 3 minutes to go ---- opposition timekeeper told a supporter sitting near who ran down to bench and told them -- opposition runner out to thier captain who went ironically imediately down like he was shot and stretcher called -- when we blew siren at official forced time he got of strecher enjoyed win and walked off

Some would call this cheating others playing to the rules --- complaint was raised but league did sfa --- opposition club to be fair ensured that dickhead was sacked and never filled another job at that club so well done

oldfella
oldfella

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by bayman Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:35 pm

Old fella, Nathan Basset had the timekeeper(s) let them know when 3 minutes were left at home games.....as for the reserves matches I wouldn’t worry about hanging onto the ball during the year but have thought about doing it if it’s on grand final day & it helps the team, sporting no but I would probably do it
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:30 pm

yawp wrote:I thought the no time on rule was a recent introduction ?

In the reserves, pretty recent yes, without knowing I’d say its been 3 or 4 years
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next