Retirements

5 posters

Go down

Retirements  Empty Retirements

Post by Thiele Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:06 pm

It is with great pride that the West Adelaide Football Club announce the retirement of its captain, Christ Schmidt, at the end of the 2017 season. Schmidt has played 131 games for Westies and amassed 21 goals during his time with the Bloods. He was also awarded the club’s Best and Fairest trophy in 2013 and 2016.

Schmidt’s greatest achievements include leading the Westies to a 30-point premiership victory over Woodville- West Torrens in 2015. Schmidt’s history making performance included 44 disposals, a feat not achieved by any other player during the 2015 season. The midfielder later revealing he had suffered a broken rib during the game. This brave effort earned him the Jack Oatey Medal for the most outstanding player in the Grand Final.

Schmidt joins the list of premiership winning captains, featuring: Bernie Leahy (1908, 1909), Jos Dailey (1911, 1912), Bruce McGregor (1927), Johnny Taylor (1947), Neil Kerley (1961) and Ian Borchard (1983).

Schmidt’s footy career also included time at the Brisbane Lions (2006) and the Adelaide Crows (2009), before retuning back to Westies in 2012. Chris leaves the Bloods to begin the next chapter in his life and the club wish him the same success off-field as he enjoyed on-field.

Best of Luck, Chris!

Daniel Caire will hang up the boots from West Adelaide at the end of season 2017. The player life member and vice-captain has played 217 games and has been an integral part of shaping the culture of the club for many years.

Daniel leaves a legacy at the club after being the first player to reach 200 games since Greg Mellor. Daniel was finally rewarded for his years of hard work with a premiership in 2015 which he played a major role in.
Thiele
Thiele

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Retirements  Empty Re: Retirements

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:16 pm

Looks like you have elevated him to "divine" status already Thiele.

Did Schmidt come to the Bloods late? Thought he may have played more then 130 games.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:42 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:Looks like you have elevated him to "divine" status already Thiele.

Did Schmidt come to the Bloods late? Thought he may have played more then 130 games.
Schmidt got picked up by Brisbane then traded back to the Crows I think. I could be wrong though
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:57 pm

Thiele wrote:
Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:Looks like you have elevated him to "divine" status already Thiele.

Schmidt got picked up by Brisbane then traded back to the Crows I think. I could be wrong though

Sounds right to me Thiele
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:23 pm

Chris played juniors at West.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:39 pm

Interesting that Daniel Caire only played 5 Reserves games to go with 215 League games.

I think they were all before his first League game, but maybe a couple resuming from injury.

Remarkable achievement.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:49 am

2 excellent players and (I would imagine) club men, the likes of which get harder to replace every year. Good luck to them both
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:41 pm

Blokes hitting 200 games is almost a rarity these days.
Hitting 150 is becoming less common.
Clubs seem to only have 3 or 4 players over 150 games.
I recall back in the Doggies heyday (not that long ago) they would have had probably about 8 - 10.

I think fans (and club people) almost appreciate the service of such individuals more because the commitment is greater for less reward (at least financial).

Certainly shifting sands.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down