+5
coza
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Scrunch
bayman
Ben W
9 posters

Go down

Head to head, Joel Cross vs Mark Naley  Empty Head to head, Joel Cross vs Mark Naley

Post by Ben W Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:05 pm

Someone asked me the other day if I thought that Dual Magarey winner Joel Cross was a better player than Mark Naley when the two players are contrasted together?

Both have won the Magarey and both have been amongst the very best players in the team in the time that they were and are at the club. Cross has not been there for the length of time that Naley had been as yet, but has been at the club since 2011.

Naley was given the position of "rover" and Half Forward, Rover is a term that you do not hear a great deal these days in the modern game. Clearly they both play the game pretty well, yet at the same time I cant really make a call on who I think is a better player. Whilst the game has evolved in some ways I am not convinced that modern sides would have the measure of some of the truly great teams of the past.

Still, to ask the question to the group, head to head, Mark Naley vs Joel Cross, who would you choose?

Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Head to head, Joel Cross vs Mark Naley  Empty Re: Head to head, Joel Cross vs Mark Naley

Post by bayman Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:35 pm

i'll say Naley & only because of body size, yes Naley was small but he was solid, Cross is obviously a great player but would his body stand up playing in Naleys' era ? alternatively would Naleys' football stand up today ? my answer is i think Naley would adjust far more easily than Cross
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Head to head, Joel Cross vs Mark Naley  Empty Re: Head to head, Joel Cross vs Mark Naley

Post by Scrunch Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:03 am

Naley was quicker and far more dangerous near goal. As much as I rate JC (and I rate him HIGHLY), Naley has him well covered.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:42 am

Naley was a very clever and consistent player. Part of the handy SA quartet that Carlton had in the late 80s too. I'd take him.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by coza Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:23 pm

Mark naley
coza
coza

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by UncleHuey Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:47 pm

Naley for me, he was very quick and very accurate. Rarely beaten when playing against some other greats of the game.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:08 pm

I saw Naley play a lot and Ive seen most of Joel Cross' games for the Panthers.
Naley was quicker; Naley had a left foot kick almost as good as his right. Naley was an extremely good user of the ball.
In todays Sanfl Cross is a standout for sure, a dual Magarey medalist, but I wouldnt put him in the same class as Nales. ..I think he'd even admit that often his kicking lets him down a bit. Naley was also runner up in the Magarey medal twice, and was a Premiership player at Carlton.
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:35 pm

Naley gets my vote.

Southee
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down