Mark Mickan

+2
Scrunch
Ben W
6 posters

Go down

Mark Mickan Empty Mark Mickan

Post by Ben W Thu May 01, 2014 10:41 pm

With four losses and now losing the Foxtel cup match this last week, I do wonder if it is just injuries holding West Adelaide up this season or if it is a possibility that the league list at Westies are struggling with adapting to Mark Mickan's game plan?

From the four matches, two have been relatively narrow losses that could have gone either way and two have been 50pt losses, the last coming in round 4 against Port Adelaide.

One gets the feeling that this weeks match against Central sees the pressure cranked right up on both of these sides. If West Adelaide win it then its likely any perceived pressure will dissipate pretty quickly, if however West lose to Central on their home deck, one might think that might well turn the screws on the club that following week. Interesting times ahead!

Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Mark Mickan Empty Re: Mark Mickan

Post by Scrunch Fri May 02, 2014 1:59 am

Whilst the coaching can always be an issue, I think it's too early and easy to point the finger. Ben Warren would be in the same boat, but all new coaches to a club surely deserve, at the very least, 12 months?
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri May 02, 2014 9:22 am

There's no doubt West had a poor pre-season because of so many longer-term injuries.

We limped into last year's finals and the lack of a good pre-season showed.

I agree with Scrunch, very early days, but Ben's point about a different game style is also valid, as learning a new style takes time.

Scrunch may know, but what was Nathan Bassett's record in his first 4 or 5 games?

Finally, it's amusing to see elsewhere that several people haven't been bright enough to see that West no longer play a defensive style, any more than any other club.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Fri May 02, 2014 9:39 am

Norwood were the same as Westies - 0-4 - in Bassett's first season before recovering to finish 3rd at the end of the minor round (bearing in mind there were 2 extra games in the fixture for each club back then). I think the Eagles might have lost their first 4 or 5 in 2012 but still played finals. I believe West are capable of still playing finals, but it has to start now.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri May 02, 2014 11:21 am

redandblack wrote:There's no doubt West had a poor pre-season because of so many longer-term injuries.

We limped into last year's finals and the lack of a good pre-season showed.

I agree with Scrunch, very early days, but Ben's point about a different game style is also valid, as learning a new style takes time.

Scrunch may know, but what was Nathan Bassett's record in his first 4 or 5 games?

Finally, it's amusing to see elsewhere that several people haven't been bright enough to see that West no longer play a defensive style, any more than any other club.

Is that 1 or 2 poor pre-seasons due to injury?
I reckon West did pretty well last year from what I saw.
Whether limping into finals was down to that, not sure.
You are closer to it than I R&B.
For mine this season your defensive KPP losses are significant.

On the latter issue of defensive style, I think Port and Adelaide have already started bringing that style to the table, so perhaps all sides may eventually adapt to follow suit. That may depend on it will bring clear success to Port and Adelaide. So far, from my observations they are a bit inconsistent to say for sure.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Fri May 02, 2014 6:10 pm

It was very obvious to me with the team that ran on to Adelaide Oval for the foxtel cup that Mark Mickan was looking to this weeks game against the Dogs.
I fully agree with his tactics considering there is no bye anymore and the prospect of fielding a full strength side 3 times in 8 days would be one hell of a risk.
I am sure all other clubs would have followed suit.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri May 02, 2014 7:06 pm

So perhaps in a 10 team comp without any byes, this Foxtel thing is not really worth it maybe?
Not sure about the comps of the other participants, but if the 100K is the carrot, then you would surely have to put a full monty side on the park to have a chance.

Otherwise, what is the point?

There is little to no exposure outside of Foxtel subscribers.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Fri May 02, 2014 7:15 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:So perhaps in a 10 team comp without any byes, this Foxtel thing is not really worth it maybe?
Not sure about the comps of the other participants, but if the 100K is the carrot, then you would surely have to put a full monty side on the park to have a chance.

Otherwise, what is the point?

There is little to no exposure outside of Foxtel subscribers.

$100,000 was great to win last year with BYES after each game as I have previously said, but to expect any club to front up 3 times in 8 days and with our lack of wins so far this season was probably not a priority in the coaches eyes. Any way its all over and we play on.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Tue May 06, 2014 6:51 pm

I think the pressure has now been relieved somewhat.  Laughing 
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Wed May 07, 2014 10:09 am

With the form Central is in, this is yet to be seen, but I will review my opinion if we can get back to 4-4 or 3-5 (if the losses haven't been blowouts).
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed May 07, 2014 10:16 am

Central only just lost to league leader South the week before and West beat them by 10 goals.

As testy said, relieves the (unbelievable) pressure somewhat, IMO.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Wed May 07, 2014 11:16 am

I guess I just don't want anyone at the club resting on their laurels.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed May 07, 2014 11:58 am

Which is fair enough, HTWWW.

A lot of work being done to make sure that doesn't hapen, but I agree that there were some transitional problems during the pre-season.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Wed May 07, 2014 12:34 pm

Maybe that's where I should have given the club a little bit more time and patience on my part! Very Happy
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Wed May 07, 2014 1:03 pm

Would have been a massive change for a West. Whilst Im sure Mickan has kept some parts of their style the same or similar, the group had become pretty well drilled at a very specific style.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed May 07, 2014 1:06 pm

Very fair comment, Scrunch.

My observations have been that it does take time for players to learn a new game plan to the point of doing things instinctively. West are certainly playing a different style. Port kicked 21 goals against them the week before, West kicked 15 goals this week, so the old 'defensive' style has gone to a fair extent.

whether that's a good thing for results remains to be seen, but hopefully fans will come to appreciate it.

I was always amazed how quickly Norwood adapted to Nathan Bassett's style (credit to him and them).
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Wed May 07, 2014 2:45 pm

I think when a group starts to see progress under a new style they subconsciously buy into it more and it can be easy to get on a roll. South under Gotch are an excellent example as it's mostly the same playing group.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum