Wooden spooners defeating premiers in that season

5 posters

Go down

Wooden spooners defeating premiers in that season Empty Wooden spooners defeating premiers in that season

Post by spell_check Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:55 pm

As far as I can see, it has happened only eight times, plus one draw:

Wooden spooners defeating premiers in that season Woodenw
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Wooden spooners defeating premiers in that season Empty Re: Wooden spooners defeating premiers in that season

Post by Adelaide Hawk Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:56 pm

The 1979 West Adelaide win over Port Adelaide wasn't all that much of a surprise as at the time Port weren't in great from, and Westies were playing some good footy. The 1979 minor round was a very even one and West had 7 wins and a draw that season and finished bottom. Four years later they won the flag.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Wooden spooners defeating premiers in that season Empty Re: Wooden spooners defeating premiers in that season

Post by Flag No.10 Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:44 pm

Yeah AH I believe that's the most premiership points a wooden spooner has ever accumulated, but spelly should confirm that. The coach at the time, Trevor Hughes, might not have been the best coach we've ever had but I've often thought he made an unheralded contribution to our '83 flag by playing so many kids back then.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:49 pm

7 1/2 wins; anyone with that wins to matches ratio is unlucky to be in last position. And it is still a record in that regard.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Yes, an amazing season 1979. At the end of the minor round, only 1 win separated Woodville in 5th spot and Sturt in 9th. I would think Sturt's 9 wins in 9th spot would have to be a record as well Spelly?
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:52 pm

North's win over Centrals last season was another one where the last placed side defeated the top placed side.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobbafet Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:11 am

Doesn't really count though Bruce.

I would imagine bottom placed sides beating premiers would be far more common ?
Bobbafet
Bobbafet

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Those eight are regarding the end of season positions, not where they were at the time.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobbafet Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Yeah, that was my point.
Bobbafet
Bobbafet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down