firstblood
Lee
BloodnTars
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Nick Stevens Empty Nick Stevens

Post by BloodnTars Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:21 pm

Just heard on SEN that he has been found guilty of assaulting his ex partner.

I assume Glenelg will be looking for a new coach.
BloodnTars
BloodnTars

Teams : West Adelaide, Adelaide Crows, Gepps Cross
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Nick Stevens Empty Re: Nick Stevens

Post by Lee Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:26 pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/former-carlton-star-nick-stevens-guilty-of-assaulting-ex-partner/story-fni0fee2-1227193169130

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:50 pm

Nothing in that article that mentions when the court decides what the penalty will be or when he will be told.. my guess is he will appeal the decision and it will drag on for a while yet.
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by The Hatchet Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:17 pm

club really gotta look hard at how they do a lot of things from this. did they do all the background checks to find this stuff out before it was in the papers?
is it time to get some of the old names who know a bit about footy and business, back to the club in some role? bays cant keep going like this year in year out, their supporters must be jack of watching them not achieve on field for so long and see admin people go through the place for not that long.
The Hatchet
The Hatchet

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:38 pm

firstblood wrote:Nothing in that article that mentions when the court decides what the penalty will be or when he will be told.. my guess is he will appeal the decision and it will drag on for a while yet.

Pre-sentence hearing set down for March 11. I'm not sure but I guess he can appeal in the meantime.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:47 pm

some innocent people get found guilty, in this case if innocent i feel for him, if guilty then throw the book at him as that behaviour isn't accepted in our society & nor should it be, so now we move forward & whoever is the man to take over i'll support 100% & trust him to take us forward with the squad that was being developed by the previous coach Nick Stevens & yes i say previous coach because even if he got a suspended sentence no club in the world could be seen condoning his crime by letting him keep his job
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:40 pm

He doesn't sound like a particularly nice sort of person from what is reported in the article.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:09 pm

MEDIA STATEMENT
GLENELG FOOTBALL CLUB

In the wake of today’s court decision in Victoria, the Glenelg Football Club advises that it has terminated the contract of senior coach Nick Stevens.

As a proud family based community club we wish to make it very clear that we do not condone or tolerate domestic violence in any form.

The Board has appointed Matthew Lokan as its senior coach for the 2015 season effective immediately.
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:39 pm

Good call by the club, even if it continues the revolving door nature that is Glenelg's senior coach role.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:47 pm

Well what if he appeals and is found not guilty?
Presumably he's told the club he won't appeal.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:53 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:Well what if he appeals and is found not guilty?

when he was found guilty, the club had to sack him no question otherwise they'd be condoning domestic violence, so he'll get sentenced & i'll presume appeal that but he can't appeal a judges decision, i presume with ''new evidence'' he could then go for another trial but then that could be 3 years or more away & the club can't let this go on like ''blue hills'' the club has obviously done the right thing & South dodged the bullet we've been shot down with
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:40 pm

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2801/
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:42 am

bayman wrote:
Flag No.9 wrote:Well what if he appeals and is found not guilty?

when he was found guilty, the club had to sack him no question otherwise they'd be condoning domestic violence, so he'll get sentenced & i'll presume appeal that but he can't appeal a judges decision, i presume with ''new evidence'' he could then go for another trial but then that could be 3 years or more away & the club can't let this go on like ''blue hills'' the club has obviously done the right thing & South dodged the bullet we've been shot down with

You're right the club has obviously done the right thing, but lets face it, the decision was a no-brainer.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:47 am

bayman wrote: but he can't appeal a judges decision

Why not?
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:42 am

Flag No.9 wrote:

Why not?

Of course he can, that's what an appeal is. He's not going to "appeal" for the guilty verdict to remain and just challenge any sentence, is he?

The club had no choice, but why they needed to hold a meeting I don't know. Surely the statement could have been prepared months ago with the button pressed to release it upon the guilty verdict, or deleted upon a not guilty verdict.

Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:13 am

So Booney, what do you think the Bays should do if Stevens is found not guilty on appeal?
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by eartotheground Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:23 am

Questions being asked up the line of the club about aspects of the original appointment of Stevens and circumstances around it. This may get uncomfortable for some at the GFC.
eartotheground
eartotheground

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:33 am

Flag No.9 wrote:So Booney, what do you think the Bays should do if Stevens is found not guilty on appeal?

Firstly, they can't reinstate him. The appeal could, in all reality, take months even years. So the (right) decision made will stand.

The only option they had upon a guilty verdict was to dismiss him. Upon a not-guilty verdict they could have backed him and left him in his role.

All in all, Stevens is not the victim here and any discussion about his coaching role should really pale into insignificance compared to the real victim of this all too common event(s).

Domestic violence is, in the main, not viewed as abhorrently by society as it should be.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:23 am

Booney wrote:Domestic violence is, in the main, not viewed as abhorrently by society as it should be.

I think it is, I think it's more just that we are increasingly hearing more and more horrific stories these days, that it's difficult to place one above another. Really hope this provides another opportunity to reinforce just how often people are subject to domestic abuse.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:17 am

To announce Lokan as the coach straight away, I think Glenelg has thought the issue through prior to the guilty verdict.

Their statement came pretty quickly.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:12 pm

Booney wrote:
Flag No.9 wrote:

Why not?

Of course he can, that's what an appeal is. He's not going to "appeal" for the guilty verdict to remain and just challenge any sentence, is he?

The club had no choice, but why they needed to hold a meeting I don't know. Surely the statement could have been prepared months ago with the button pressed to release it upon the guilty verdict, or deleted upon a not guilty verdict.

I imagine he will appeal the conviction and unless the sentence is very lenient, the sentence as well.

I presume that the Club's constitution requires that a meeting of the board to be held to sack the coach. I can't imagine that power is dependent on the whim of one person within the club structure and legally they needed to be sure they got it right. It would look worse if they fired off a statement before meeting their legal requirements and then got embroiled in an unlawful dismissal suit. Even though it was the right decision and had to be done, the way the process is handled can be critical.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:26 pm

Booney wrote:
Flag No.9 wrote:

Why not?

sorry guys i didn't word it correctly because i'm not Perry Mason, but i knew what i meant
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by dedja Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:24 pm

eartotheground wrote:Questions being asked up the line of the club about aspects of the original appointment of Stevens and circumstances around it. This may get uncomfortable for some at the GFC.

I'll call that bluff, simply not true.
dedja
dedja

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:58 pm

UncleHuey wrote:
Booney wrote:
Flag No.9 wrote:

Why not?

I imagine he will appeal the conviction and unless the sentence is very lenient, the sentence as well.

I presume that the Club's constitution requires that a meeting of the board to be held to sack the coach. I can't imagine that power is dependent on the whim of one person within the club structure and legally they needed to be sure they got it right. It would look worse if they fired off a statement before meeting their legal requirements and then got embroiled in an unlawful dismissal suit. Even though it was the right decision and had to be done, the way the process is handled can be critical.

Yes.

I'd be highly surprised if the Board hadn't taken legal advice, or at least looked closely at his contract, well before now.

There would be a dismissal clause for a generic type of 'discredit to the club' or even 'found guilty of an offence'.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:11 pm

And I think that is all any club can concern itself with.
He has been found guilty therefore they act.
You can't second guess what ifs on possible appeals.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next