Scrunch
Paul
Gingernuts
7 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Go down

Adelaide v GWS & Port v Essendon Empty Adelaide v GWS & Port v Essendon

Post by Gingernuts Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:58 pm

Well as the post Showdown wash up subsides it's probably time to get back to the real world. You know, the one where Port is looking to firm up a spot in the top 4 and Adelaide is in a desperate fight for a spot in the 8.  Adelaide v GWS & Port v Essendon 294855916 

Adelaide are backing up their spectacular win with an away trip to Sydney to take on GWS. SURELY they should win this one - but I've said that every fortnight for the last 8 bloody weeks, so I'm loathe to even tip them to be honest.

Port are taking on Essendon, which will be no easy game, particularly with the injuries sustained to their key defenders in Trengove and Carlisle during the Showdown. That said, on their home deck they are unbeatable (well, almost  Wink ) and I reckon they will bounce back with a vengeance this weekend.

Discuss away.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Adelaide v GWS & Port v Essendon Empty Re: Adelaide v GWS & Port v Essendon

Post by Paul Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:03 pm

Port will handle Essendon with no probs. Over 10 goal margin.

Bleh, Adelaide have 5 or so players who may or may not come up from last week. Should, could, might win. Not sure yet. GWS aren't that bad.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:13 pm

Yep, agree with all of that sapaul
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by valleys07 Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:46 pm

Id expect both SA sides to get the win. Port are undefeated at "home" this year  Wink 

Razz 
valleys07
valleys07

Teams : Port Adelaide, Port Power, Hope Valley
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:36 pm

Port & Adelaide both ''on paper'' should win comfortably, i just wonder whether either team will have a let down this week, i'll tip both of them to win but no way known i'd put the hard earned on
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:03 pm

I'd put my hard earned on Port bayman, I reckon they will be ferocious this weekend with the home crowd behind them and a bad week to atone for.

I'd certainly steer clear of Adelaide though, there form is just not consistent enough to inspire confidence.

That said, one thing I'm really pleased about is the fact that both Lynch and Crouch played out the game Sunday arvo and acquitted themselves well, Crouch especially. Both add so much to the Adelaide side and with a run like that under the belt hopefully they will build on things this week.

Will be interesting to see what Adelaide does at the selection table this week.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:36 pm

Bombers might be a bit fired up for up for Graeme McMahon, and they don't have bad footspeed so might be closer than expected. But like you Ginger I expect Port to react pretty hard from last weeks performance.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:38 pm

With a wet day forecast and a night game at the Oval, I think the loss of Port's two key backmen in Trengove and Carlile might not be such a bad thing.

If Essendon choose to go with Ryder, Daniher and Bellchambers as they did against Adelaide it might be a little top heavy.

Great opportunity for Hombsch and Jonas to play as the key defenders and Tom Clurey looked right at home in the NAB Cup and he, IMO, will step into the full back roll with aplomb.

Port's midfield and small forwards would have had eyeballs on them early this week during the match review and they will, I expect they will, bounce back hard against the Bombers.

Adelaide won't take GWS lightly, there is one thing for sure though and that is Jacobs will have a much tougher time this week against big Mummy in the ruck. Lobbe was disappointing last weekend ( not alone there ) and Mumford will be a much tougher ask. If he is, as I expect him to be, then Adelaides midfield will not get the Rosella plated service they got last week.

Having said that, give Dangerfield a week off. The bloke carries the contested ball work load and there is no way he can do it for 30 weeks of a year. He must be given a week off to rest up and Adelaide have no better chance than this week against the new kids on the block.

Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:39 pm

*Has "aplomb" ever been used on this website before?*

Very Happy 
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:03 pm

Booney wrote:Port's midfield and small forwards would have had eyeballs on them early this week during the match review and they will, I expect they will, bounce back hard against the Bombers.

Impey would've been able to kick back and take it easy in the match review though, one of the few who clearly beat his man last weekend.  Wink 

Booney wrote:Having said that, give Dangerfield a week off. The bloke carries the contested ball work load and there is no way he can do it for 30 weeks of a year. He must be given a week off to rest up and Adelaide have no better chance than this week against the new kids on the block.

Urgh. A few calling for this, and I would love to see the poor bloke have a rest. With the season on the line every week though and this being the best (and potentially last) opportunity to get off the roll coaster, I reckon it would be a ballsy call.

If he's rested and we lose - well - he'll have plenty of time to recuperate in September..... Embarassed 

Words like aplomb belong in the Chardonnay set Booney, your with the wrong mob mate.  Wink 
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:38 am

Couple of interesting changes for Adelaide. Mainly the omission of Thompson. I thought he was good last week and deserved to stay in the side. Henderson the one lucky to come in.

B Andy Otten, Daniel Talia, Luke Brown
HB Rory Laird, Brodie Smith, Matthew Jaensch
C Brad Crouch, Patrick Dangerfield, Rory Sloane
HF Eddie Betts, James Podsiadly, Brodie Martin
F Taylor Walker, Josh Jenkins, Tom Lynch
FOL Sam Jacobs, Scott Thompson, Richard Douglas
I/C Matthew Wright, David Mackay, Ben Rutten, Ricky Henderson
EMG Luke Thompson, Jason Porplyzia, Jarryd Lyons
NO CHANGE
IN
Rory Laird, David Mackay, Ben Rutten, Ricky Henderson
OUT
Luke Thompson (Omitted), Brent Reilly (Soreness), Jarryd Lyons (Omitted), Jason Porplyzia (Omitted)

GWS GIANTS

B Tomas Bugg, Phil Davis, Adam Kennedy
HB Kristian Jaksch, Tim Mohr, Sam Frost
C Toby Greene, Adam Treloar, Joshua Kelly
HF Zac Williams, Adam Tomlinson, Callan Ward
F Devon Smith, Jonathon Patton, Jeremy Cameron
FOL Shane Mumford, Dylan Shiel, Tom Scully
I/C Will Hoskin-Elliott, Rhys Palmer, Stephen Coniglio, Lachlan Whitfield
EMG Matt Buntine, Jono O'Rourke, Josh Hunt
NO CHANGE
IN
Toby Greene, Zac Williams, Tom Scully
OUT
Nathan Wilson (Omitted), Josh Hunt (Omitted), Heath Shaw (Concussion)

Surprised Port didn't bring in Tom Clurey. Obviously backing Hombsch and Jonas to act as the key defenders. Why not, they've both been in good form.

B Cam O'Shea, Jack Hombsch, Dom Cassisi
HB Matthew Broadbent, Tom Jonas, Jasper Pittard
C Angus Monfries, Travis Boak, Kane Cornes
HF Jared Polec, Justin Westhoff, Matt White
F Robbie Gray, Jay Schulz, Chad Wingard
FOL Matthew Lobbe, Ollie Wines, Brad Ebert
I/C Kane Mitchell, Jarman Impey, Hamish Hartlett, Aaron Young
EMG Tom Clurey, Benjamin Newton, Sam Gray
NO CHANGE
IN
Cam O'Shea, Dom Cassisi, Aaron Young
OUT
Jackson Trengove (Ankle), Sam Gray (Omitted), Alipate Carlile (Hamstring)

B David Myers, Cale Hooker, Mark Baguley
HB Courtenay Dempsey, Michael Hurley, Brendon Goddard
C Travis Colyer, David Zaharakis, Brent Stanton
HF Zach Merrett, Joe Daniher, Patrick Ambrose
F Jason Winderlich, Jake Carlisle, Paul Chapman
FOL Patrick Ryder, Heath Hocking, Dyson Heppell
I/C Kyle Hardingham, Jackson Merrett, Ben Howlett, Jake Melksham
EMG Orazio Fantasia, Elliott Kavanagh, Dustin Fletcher
NO CHANGE
IN
Mark Baguley, Jason Winderlich
OUT
Dustin Fletcher (Omitted), Michael Hibberd (Ankle)
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:27 am

Yes I thought Luke Thompson was very good during the Showdown. Very composed and rarely out of position.

I'd say the decision was largely based on getting Henderson back into the side so that he get's a run under the belt before the huge Friday night clash with Hawthorn next week. Better to get him in this week against GWS.

On paper Adelaide fielding easily it's strongest side of the year.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:20 am

Booney wrote:*Has "aplomb" ever been used on this website before?*

Very Happy 

No, but it's to be encouraged  Very Happy 

After all, we are a site for intelligent posters  Wink Adelaide v GWS & Port v Essendon 2678737410 
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:01 am

No need to use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Now, I have work to do so best I absquatulate from this debate.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:09 am

No need to exacerbate the situation Booney.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:13 am

Adelaide v GWS & Port v Essendon D67fcf10
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:11 pm

redandblack wrote:After all, we are a site for intelligent posters  Wink Adelaide v GWS & Port v Essendon 2678737410 

An admin of another footy forum once told me this forum has a total IQ of 1. Told him that was twice the IQ of his forum.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:17 am

Well, all in all very happy with Adelaide's performance on Saturday.

There were a few rusty moments, but otherwise it was very pleasing to see them finally get the job done as they were supposed to and string a couple of wins together.

It was fantastic to see Henderson back up an running off half back. There were a couple of plays where he, Smith and Mackay linked up through the middle and it looked superb, the potential of that combination gets me a little bit excited.

Another positive for Adelaide at the moment is that the forward line is looking dangerous without Walker. Fair to say he has had limited impact over the past few weeks, and yet Adelaide has continued to kick good scores. It bodes well for the run home IMO.

Super pumped for the big clash against Hawthorn this week. They are looking vulnerable with their lengthy injury list finally taking it's toll.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:25 am

Martin who always has a crack and was terrible against Essendon was superb. Thought Douglas had his best game for awhile too. Not having a great season.
Paul
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:32 am

sapaul wrote:Martin who always has a crack and was terrible against Essendon was superb. Thought Douglas had his best game for awhile too. Not having a great season.

Yea absolutely. There is a much more even contribution across the board. Something Sando has been banging on about needing all year, so he must be pleased to see it finally eventuating.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:54 am

One area that still is of concern for Adelaide is the fact that GWS smashed us in clearances. Essendon did the same a few weeks ago and that sort domination out of the middle can cost you the game easily (again, see Essendon's first quarter).

Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:00 pm

Wins over Fremantle, Hawthorn and Geelong had Port top of the table.

In reality we would have been expected to win 1 or maybe 2 but not all 3 of those games. If we had dropped one or two we would be 4th/5th/6th. Which, I think, is about where we are.

Saying that then, there is no surprise to think 4th/5th/6th lost two weeks in a row to 8th/9th ( Adelaide and Essendon. )

Astute judges who watch the competition closely enough would know the losses Port have just had were not extraordinary upsets.

I only hope Port are having a "mini slump" now prior to the serious stuff coming in the next 8-12 weeks.

There is no doubt though the loss of Trengove from the back half and ruck will severely dent our final ladder position.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:31 pm

TBH Booney I think where you're positioned on the ladder now is spot on (granted Im a huge believer in the "ladder doesn't lie"). Port's best is capable of beating absolutely anyone. The question is have they not been performing to that level of late, or has the opposition prevented them from playing at that level? Perhaps a little from Column A and a little from Column B. After winning 5 on the trot last season, they then lost 5 on the trot and everyone thought that was their true colours coming out. They proved more than capable of getting it back together and were resurgent thereafter and I expect the same this time around. It just might be that you peak at the right time? Sydney and Freo will have been up for a long time come finals.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:38 pm

As valleys was tied up at a prior engagement I’ll do my best to deputise in his notable absence from the match and post game summary.

Essendon’s scouts did their homework on Port by closely reviewing the Adelaide game, there is no doubt. Both sides stifled the Port run by not allowing the “out the back” player to be free.

As Adelaide managed to keep key playmakers in Hartlett, Broadbent and Polec quiet, so too did Essendon. What this then did was apply more pressure on the likes of Boak, Wines and Ebert to win contested ball and use it well inside the contest as opposed to the dish to outside runners and those who sit behind the midfield contests, mainly the three mentioned above ( Hartlett, Broadbent and Polec )

Essendon also tackled with constant endeavour to add physical and perceived pressure to Port’s midfield.

Again, Wingard and Monfries had a quiet night in conditions that you would think would have suited both players. Herein lies the reason I think they have both been quiet, Trengove going down. From half time of the Adelaide game any moment in time where the opponent has had the run of play Port have had to send Westhoff back. Now this is not strange, but over the last 12 weeks it hasn’t been too often that he has had to go back there as Trengove has been foiling forward sorties from the opposition and creating ground balls for the likes of Hartlett, Broadbent and Polec to gather while Ebert, Boak and others spread to create run forward.

So now the back half is under pressure, the midfield can’t spread as hard and because of that there’s more contested ball and less uncontested to utilise our run. More contested ball, more body on body and are much publicised last half run is stifled through sheer physical pressure.

Ports best :

Robbie Gray – Stood out with his clean hands and stoppage work ( 30 disposals, 4 clearances, 2 tackles, 1 goal, 3 I50 ) on a night made for the little blokes. He’s been the real standout for Port this year with consistent efforts in almost every match. He gets attention, every week, but he is shining in his role playing further up the ground as a now mid/forward as opposed to a forward/mid.

Hamish Harlett – I know I mentioned above his influence was limited ( 29 disposal, 8 clearances, 1 R50, 5 I50 ) and his numbers suggest he had a solid game, he did. The real stat there is the 1 rebound 50, he’s been closer to 3 or 4 a week and having the midfield under pressure drew him away from the D50 where he has done much of his best work.

Cam O’Shea – In a good sign for Port O’Shea had arguably his best game at AFL level. ( 28 disposal, 7 R50, 5 I50 ) Coming in to cover the loss of Trengove/Carlile he stood up and showed he can play solid defensive footy. His disposal efficiency ( 67% ) although not competition best was perhaps above average for a bloke who can be suspect by foot. He made sure his spot was safe for the nextg two weeks at least.

Travis Boak – Again led from the front and won some important touches in the third quarter ( along with R.Gray ) to get Port back in the contest. 22 disposals, 2 clearances, 3 I50 and a goal are not massive numbers, but he was there when Port needed a player to get a hand in and spoil a Essendon clearance or take a mark outside a stoppage. One of the few mids to work hard all night a spread when he had a chance.

Of the remainder Jack Hombsch was sound, as was Jonas and Ollie Wines.

Port won possessions, contested possessions, clearances, hit outs, I50, had 25 shots to 22. Essendon laid 96 tackles to 62. That all reads like a Port win, more of the ball, Essendon chased all night. Not so.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:42 pm

Scrunch wrote:TBH Booney I think where you're positioned on the ladder now is spot on (granted Im a huge believer in the "ladder doesn't lie"). Port's best is capable of beating absolutely anyone. The question is have they not been performing to that level of late, or has the opposition prevented them from playing at that level? Perhaps a little from Column A and a little from Column B. After winning 5 on the trot last season, they then lost 5 on the trot and everyone thought that was their true colours coming out. They proved more than capable of getting it back together and were resurgent thereafter and I expect the same this time around. It just might be that you peak at the right time? Sydney and Freo will have been up for a long time come finals.

That's my thinking.

Although, it's well known that Burgess has Port working hard all the time so there is no "loading" going on at the moment. Burgess stated one thing he has picked up over the last few years is how much more AFL sides can actually train for, no wonder we are fit.

On that, I heard Sanderson say that he "...only gets the players for about 40 minutes a week, going flat out with recovery time etc..." That seems awfully short of what I'd expect, but I guess these sports scientists/mad scientists know best.

BTW - Burgess resisted, from what I hear, a very attractive offer from the Boston Celtics to remain in Adelaide with Port.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down