+3
bayman
A Mum
Gingernuts
7 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Adelaide v Essendon & Port v Bulldogs Empty Adelaide v Essendon & Port v Bulldogs

Post by Gingernuts Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:03 am

Well we had 2 cracking games last weekend from both the Power (despite losing) and the Crows. Both will be looking to back it up this week against their respective opponents.

Port take on the Bulldogs on the AO home deck and while the Doggies had a stirring victory over Collingwood last weekend I think the Portress will be a house of pain for them this week as Port look to get back on the winners list.

Adelaide have a genuine chance to shake their form rollercoaster and find some consistency with a win over the under siege Essendon. With the absence of captain Watson and the ongoing drugs saga taking it's toll, the Crows have a real chance to post a strong away victory and come into the Showdown with some good form.

Post away ladies and gents.....
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Adelaide v Essendon & Port v Bulldogs Empty Re: Adelaide v Essendon & Port v Bulldogs

Post by Gingernuts Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:51 am

Well, interesting game for Adelaide coming up this week.

Despite Adelaide being up and down form wise over the last few weeks, they have actually gone 7-3 in the last 10 and 2 of those losses were by under a kick. Admittedly they were against 2 of the competitions poorer sides in Melbourne and Carlton, but it’s interesting to note that both have posted more wins and troubled some quality sides in their games since. Dare we say that perhaps Adelaide aren’t in as bad a form as most believe?

This week is a real tester for them as they fight to regain some respect and find some consistency in form. Essendon are under siege off the field, and without their captain and spiritual leader Watson on it. Melbourne strangled them in what is becoming their trademark under Roos, but they aren’t the first in that matter as Adelaide can attest. How will they respond this week? Will it just keep getting worse for the Bombers? Or will they find some resolve and send Adelaide back in the downward direction?

If I was a punter I would be staying well clear of this game. Anything could happen. After witnessing Adelaide’s performance on the weekend I feel like we should go over there and get the job done this week – but I’ve felt that before this season and been sorely disappointed with what I have ended up witnessing.

The fate of Adelaide really lies with fringe first/second tier players in Betts, Podsiadly, Jenkins, Mackay, Jaensch, Brown etc. These are the blokes that are everywhere when Adelaide are firing, and nowhere when they’re not. They need to make sure they turn up ready to play this week.

As for a tip, I feel like Adelaide will win and win well (5 goals +). Am I confident of this though? As an Adelaide fan I can’t really be confident of any result this season yet. Get the job done this week and head into the Showdown with some form and that may change.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Adelaide v Essendon & Port v Bulldogs Empty Re: Adelaide v Essendon & Port v Bulldogs

Post by A Mum Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:01 pm

Have the same thoughts as you GN.... and have even been saying that myself - the loses that Adelaide have had do not look 'so bad' when you see how those 'lesser' sides have taken it up to some stronger competition the past few weeks.  In saying that though, in some of those games we lost we really did do on our own boot, we were shocking no excuses really.  

But anyway here's hoping (and praying) that Adelaide continue the form of the games where they have just pressured, pressured, pressured and shaken the opposition and go that next step of winning 2 in a row at least - and yes then bring on the showdown - never been to one, so this will be the first time.

My boys (and some of their friends) are going to Melbourne this weekend to watch the Crows v Bombers game - so hopefully they are travelling over for a victory!

I'm really loving this AFL season, not only Crows and Port, but also all AFL games, I find myself being drawn into all of them...lol.

Adelaide v Essendon & Port v Bulldogs 2829010660
A Mum
A Mum

Teams : Adelaide Crows - South Adelaide
My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:00 pm

Port wont take the Bulldogs lightly after last week & therefore will win easily, while i think the same can be said for Adelaide, watched some of the game while at Globe Derby on Saturday & to me they looked like a hungry team, hungry teams usually build up momentum & win consistently, i expect they'll get on a bit of a roll
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:58 am

I was away last weekend so didn't get to preview either game much, watched a fair bit of Port and Sydney in the Country Womens Association hut at the Quorn racing club.... Very Happy  whilst I saw almost none of the Crows v North game.

So, looking forward to an in depth look at this weeks games and one of them, for Adelaide, is critical to finals chances. For Port, it's a solid test after a cracking game in Sydney.

Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:13 pm

It shapes as an interesting weekend for both the SA based AFL clubs.

The Crows have copped plenty this year for being inconsistent, yet two narrow losses turned to wins would see them 8-4 and sitting around 5th spot instead of the 6-6 they have leaving them outside the 8. It isn’t the two narrow losses, it’s who they were too ( Melbourne and Carlton ) and how they were lost. In recent weeks Melbourne have improved out of sight while Carlton showed some fight against Geelong last week, making the losses not look quite so bad. At the time, however, both games would have been seen as a “W” to the Crows.

This week they face an Essendon side riddled with issues, the seemingly endless supplement saga raised it’s ugly head last week, the Bombers capitulated late to give Melbourne a one point win just one week after losing inspirational leader Jobe Watson to a long term hip injury. While the Bombers have taken the step to “rest” Paul Chapman and lose Jake Carlisle to a knee injury, they are replaced by wiley veteran Dustin Fletcher and Colyer.

This week I feel is more about the opposition than Adelaide, although Adelaide fans I am sure will be once again holding their collective chardonnay soaked breath in  Very Happy , waiting to see which Crow unit shows up on Saturday night.

Essendon look like a side carrying the weight of an ASADA cock up, a bungled AFL investigation and 16 months of stress and worry. The issuing of “show cause” notices last week along with the talk of player driven legal action against the club if any bans are imposed must, it simply must have had an impact on the playing group. James and Tanya Hird can still be heard all the way from France and the minds of players away from the training track must be filled with thoughts or “What did they give me?” all over again. This may help them focus on match day efforts, but it must be taking an emotional, mental and physical toll on the group.

Adelaide made the strange ( I think ) move of dropping Matt Crouch to bring back Lyons and take a pretty settled unit to play under the Etihad roof tomorrow night.

With Lynch and Henderson back in the SANFL after long lay offs, Grigg, Hartigan, Luke Thompson and McKernan offering some pressure on those above I think Adelaide head into the second half of the season in good shape to have a crack at finals football.

The forward line is looking more ominous with Walker in good form since his return, Jenkins offering a target, Betts doing ( close to ) what he is getting paid to do and Podsiadly moving all over the ground as the link man role that Lynch will play upon his return. The versatile Otten makes a huge difference to Adelaide structure, either he or Lynch can play tall/medium forward and back giving them much better flexibility.

Essendon look like they could have a small edge in the ruck division with Ryder and Bellchambers doing a tandem act on Sauce Jacobs. Ryder has given Adelaide trouble before when playing forward and with Daniher ( Rutten ) Ryder ( Talia ) Bellchambers ( Jenkins ) they can offer Adelaide some headaches.

I think Essendon are a team on the slide while Adelaide are clearly on the up – Adelaide by 30 points.

In the other match Port Adelaide returns from Sydney with heads held high and looking for a victim to take it out on. The Bulldogs will not be an easy target, however.

The Doggies took it right up to Collingwood last week and pressure, pressure, pressure on the ball carrier and Collingwoods defensive half finally cracked the ‘Pies and the Dogs had their best win of the year. It seems familiar. Adelaide did the same thing against Collingwood, drew out an extraordinary effort and had a fall the following week. I’ve got a feeling the young Doggies unit might be in for a similar fate as they face a very keen Port Adelaide side, looking to fix a few very small errors from last weeks game and get the winning feeling back.

I loved the talk from Alberton this week, no such thing as an honourable loss, it’s a loss. Simple as that.

Another tweaked ankle for Port will see Hartlett miss out, replaced by one who just recovered from a rolled ankle in Jared Polec. His run was missed against Sydney and he is a very welcome inclusion. First season player Jarman Impey is having a well earnt week off ( although I’m sure he would want to be playing ) and the club is clearly looking at the back half of the season for this young lad, wanting him fresh. He is replaced by Tom Logan who has been excellent for the Magpies at SANFL level for some weeks. The yo-yo Sam Gray comes back in to replace Dom Cassisi who again misses with knee soreness, old Dom is starting to look his age and I don’t doubt, feels it.

The Bulldogs lose running machine Adam Cooney ( who looks like a ripping fellow every time I see him interviewed ) and replace him with veteran Matt Boyd.

Ryan Griffen was excellent last week leading his Dogs while Roughead and Morris held the Dogs back half together. I think they’ll struggle to hold Ports many scoring options though.

AA bound Robbie Gray, Wingard, Westhoff, White, Schulz etc etc all hit the scoreboard for Port and I can’t see the Doggies kicking the 16 or 17 goals they’ll need to to beat Port at the lager filled Adelaide Oval.

Port on the rebound to consolidate top spot – Port by 44 points.

Looking ahead a massive Showdown beacons the week after. A slip up by Adelaide against Essendon and a loss to Port and it’s 2015 here we come, but a win against Essendon to make it two in a row would see Adelaide thinking the 19th man might get them over the line at home the following week. Well, at least when the scoreboard tells them to chant, anyway.

Port have the Dogs, Adelaide and Essendon all at “home” then Richmond away, Melbourne at home. That 5 weeks should see Port secure a top 4 berth. A tough run with Collingwood (A), Sydney (H), Gold Coast(A) ,Carlton(H) and Freo (A) shapes as a big 5 weeks leading into ( probable ) finals action.

Adelaide have Essendon, Port, GWS (A), Hawthorn (H), Collingwood (A), West Coast (H), Brisbane (A), Richmond (H), North (A), St Kilda (H)

At 6-6 wins over Essendon, GWS, West Coast, Brisbane, Richmond and St Kilda beacon giving Adelaide 12 wins, perhaps not enough for finals. They’ll need to maintain their current form for the next 10 weeks and win 7-8 out of their final 10 games to secure finals action. A win in the Showdown would be huge for Adelaides season.....let’s see which Crow outfit turns up tomorrow night first. One thing for sure, they’ll be a unit wearing a God awful clash strip....
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:23 pm

I'm going to make a big statement here - I reckon there is a big chance that no 'away' side will win again at the Adelaide Oval this season.

Only 2 games I reckon will be a problem to that theory - Port v Sydney & Adelaide v Hawthorn.

For the sake of the Showdown I do hope Adelaide wins this Saturday night will amp up the build up to the game hugely!
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Brodie Martin annoys the hell out of me.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:46 pm

sapaul wrote:Brodie Martin annoys the hell out of me.

The Crows annoy the hell out of their supporters.

this year is over for them now

tey are fukkkkkkked.
the prowler
the prowler

Teams : South,Crows, Hectorville

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:50 pm

The should make supporting Adelaide a criminal punishment. Bloody torture. To their credit they showed some ticker after quarter time, but that first quarter cost us the game.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:54 pm

Adelaide cannot give ANY team 3 goals start and expect to win.

Adelaide Oval next Sat will test the loyalty of the Crows fans
the prowler
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:59 pm

Well we gave up the first 4 goals to Bulldogs and won  Rolling Eyes 
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:08 pm

Not as pissed as I was after the Melbourne & Carlton games, they had a fair dinkum crack in that last quarter IMO and won every quarter bar the first.

Essendon played some cracking footy as well, moved it quickly through the middle and used the footy very very well.

Yes we lost, but they showed some fight and threw the kitchen sink at Essendon and that's all a fan can ask for. A goal that was a point, Dangerfield with his head taken off, Brown belted behind play, you can't do much about that. The key moments just didn't seem to go our way tonight.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:20 pm

sapaul wrote:Well we gave up the first 4 goals to Bulldogs and won  Rolling Eyes 

The Bulldogs and Essendon are 2 entirely different combatants.
the prowler
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:24 pm

Gingernuts wrote:Yes we lost, but they showed some fight and threw the kitchen sink at Essendon and that's all a fan can ask for. A goal that was a point, Dangerfield with his head taken off, Brown belted behind play, you can't do much about that. The key moments just didn't seem to go our way tonight.

Haven't looked at stats or anything but thought we had a good run with the umps for the first 3 quarters.
Paul
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:26 pm

the prowler wrote:The Bulldogs and Essendon are 2 entirely different combatants.

You're the one who said 'ANY team'

Not disputing it though, thought it was over after 5 minutes personally. Was expecting an 80 point belting.
Paul
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:29 pm

We did up until that last term. We can have a winge and there were some shocking calls in that last term, but good sides don't leave it to the umpires though.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:26 pm

What started out as a promising season from an umpiring perspective, I am now completely dumbfounded as to what the rules are.

I am certain they don't actually rewrite the rules, they just don't follow what is written.

Holding the ball only occurs when a player actually goes for the ball and is caught with it.
Many times without prior opportunity. So this way of calling it is much better than pinging a bloke who just chucks it out incorrectly?  Shocked 

The hands in the back, arm chopping and other related rules almost don't exist anymore.

They go from one extreme to the other.

And then with the scrums that develop out of it all.
The game in general is unwatchable for the most part.
If I wanted to watch rugby, there is plenty of opportunity to do so.

How's about, we all just get back to footy without having to make it something else?

Seriously, if I was a terrorist the rules committee would be getting a visit.
Disband them and just let the game evolve. It is for coaches and players to do that, not rules committees.

I reckon the rules for this Soccer World Cup would be the same as the last 10 of them.

But then don't get me started on rules........... Wink 
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:51 am

How are you lot coping?
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:03 am

Booney wrote:How are you lot coping?

What do you mean?
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:19 am

I mean, how are you lot coping with your sides performances......I seriously thought you turned a corner last week.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:43 am

Clearly it's frustrating.

That said, I seem to be the only one on the planet that thought their game on Saturday night wasn't that bad.

Obviously the first quarter was shocking, and at quarter time I was ready to smash the TV - but from that point on I thought they had a fair dinkum crack. The players that have been accused of poor form in losing games also stepped up to keep us in it - I'm thinking in particular of the likes of Betts, Jenkins, Scotty Thompson, Jaensch & even Martin.

This one was different to the Carlton & Melbourne games IMO - we lost those games because of our poor ball usage and pressure, those losses were our fault. We lost to Essendon because they played exceptionally well, and were the better side. They moved the ball quickly through the middle, their ball use was excellent, and their marking inside forward 50 was exceptional.

Yes we could have been smarter at times, yes our pressure could have been better at times, but ultimately Essendon won the game by denying us the pill, plain and simple.

I'm shattered that it looks like we are not good enough to play finals again this year, but I refuse to be one of those fans who turns on their own Club. I have faith in our coach and I also believe we have the foundations of what will eventually be a great side.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:49 am

I agree, you blokes were ok Saturday night. Keep in mind Essendon are about the same as you guys, fighting for a spot in the 8 so it wasn't a loss to a lowly ranked side.

I still think there is a weak link or two but think Lynch and Henderson ( when right ) along with the Crouch brothers will make a difference to the side.

For mine, there is no room for Charlie Cameron, despite his seemingly cult hero status among Crow fans. With Betts in the forward half and a Laird/Kerridge playing a defensive forward along with Walker, Jenkins and Lynch ( I think Podsiadly will go out ) and a resting mid, that's about the right balance.

Thompsons last year?
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:12 am

Booney wrote: I still think there is a weak link or two but think Lynch and Henderson (when right) along with the Crouch brothers will make a difference to the side.

Agree with this statement. Lynch is all class, to come back from a second long term injury in the manner that he did yesterday is incredibly impressive and he should come straight back in for the Showdown IMO, at the expense of Podsiadly. Pods has done his job exceptionally well, but we need someone with a bigger tank coming off half forward and into the middle. Lynch is just more versatile, plain and simple.

Henderson tweaked something yesterday so I think he is still a few weeks off.

The Crouch boys are interesting and would be a gamble, but I think it could be a good calculated roll of the dice to bring both in for this week.

As for Thompson, I think it may be his last year unfortunately. He's still got plenty to give, but I think consistency and pace are becoming an issue for the team.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:25 am

Win, loss, win loss won't continue this week at least  Rolling Eyes 
Paul
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum