blueandwhite
Chambo Off To Work We Go
testy
Brucetiki
eartotheground
Big Phil
11 posters

Go down

ALL of the finals in 2014 to be played at Adelaide Oval Empty ALL of the finals in 2014 to be played at Adelaide Oval

Post by Big Phil Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:32 pm

I know the season hasn't even started yet, but this is good news, I reckon...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/afl-shadow-looms-large-over-sanfl-on-the-eve-of-2014-season/story-fnii0294-1226870124413

In above article, Reece Homfray wrote:

"With just two days until Norwood and Port meet in the season opener at Coopers Stadium, it has also been confirmed that all four weeks of SANFL finals this year will be played at Adelaide Oval with suburban finals put on hold."
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

ALL of the finals in 2014 to be played at Adelaide Oval Empty Re: ALL of the finals in 2014 to be played at Adelaide Oval

Post by eartotheground Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:00 am

Partially due to the new broadcaster noting that double headers at suburban grounds not sustainable for their systems. Interesting that it has been taken off the table quickly, after it was close to guaranteed.
eartotheground
eartotheground

Back to top Go down

ALL of the finals in 2014 to be played at Adelaide Oval Empty Re: ALL of the finals in 2014 to be played at Adelaide Oval

Post by Brucetiki Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:59 am

I think having all finals at Adelaide Oval will work. They were a success in the late 2000's (such as the 25000 that rocked up to the 2008 semi finals), and the redeveloped ground will be a further attraction to get people to the SANFL finals.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:16 pm

There have only been 10,000 or so turning up in recent years for all of the finals except for the GF and the first two weeks are double headers, but the new Adelaide Oval upgrade may attract more---We shall see.
testy
testy

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:38 pm

testy wrote:
There have only been 10,000 or so turning up in recent years for all of the finals except for the GF and the first two weeks are double headers, but the new Adelaide Oval upgrade may attract more---We shall see.

I think that's more to do with people not wanting to trek out to AAMI. The 2008 finals at Adelaide Oval had excellent crowds, which hopefully we'll get again this year.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:05 pm

It might also depend on who is in them.
I think the 2008 final was Norwood v Port and Sturt v Central.

If Norwood, Adelaide and Port are in them, there could be large Crowds I reckon.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:39 am

If South make the finals...I assure you the last thing I'll be worrying about is how many people are there watching.. Laughing Laughing Laughing 
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:21 pm

blueandwhite wrote:If South make the finals...I assure you the last thing I'll be worrying about is how many people are there watching.. Laughing Laughing Laughing 

Now, now. Here we all are having a sensible discussion and you go and make a mockery of the whole thing.... tongue Laughing 
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:35 pm

I'm pretty sure I went to an elimination final that South played in at Adelaide Oval (delving back into the memory banks!  Laughing ) that actually had a fair crowd. Was it 2006?
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:06 pm

Yeah, they beat Port.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GrandOldFlag Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:42 pm

Good decision from SANFL (FINALLY!). Or we can thank Ch 7.

But big games should be on the big stage. Its the only way to get larger crowds whereas going back to suburban grounds would mean a further decline in crowds.

Stick with double header format for first two weeks. Close top of southern and eastern stands and atmosphere will be great along with good crowds.
GrandOldFlag
GrandOldFlag

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:05 am

it was channel 7s decision
The Emperor
The Emperor

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down