Time for the SANFL to stand up to the Power.

+14
jelly
testy
countrycousin
BloodnTars
Big Phil
Booney
therealROSSCO
Scrunch
Aerie
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Ben W
bayman
lachlan
Lee
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Time for the SANFL to stand up to the Power. Empty Time for the SANFL to stand up to the Power.

Post by Lee Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:42 am

IMO, it's well past time for the 8 clubs to make a stand against a club that is thumbing its nose at the SANFL.  We need strong leadership at the SANFL to draw the line at what Port is doing with this new arrangement.

We now find that Steven Summerton is to be paid about $100,000 in 2 more years, as a way around the agreement that players only get $400 a game.  This is nearly a third of the SANFL clubs salary cap, so how can they compete against that?

We now have to believe that several good SANFL players, such as Raikiwasa, Johannsen, etc are happy to play for $400 a game.  Sure. Plus a few little incentives and a 'promise' that they'll be looked at fir a rookie spot next year?

Now we have Port recruiting an interstate player for $400 a game.  Same incentives?

The SANFL clubs have to insist that all listed players are selected in the Magpies side before any top-up player is picked.  That was supposed to be the whole rationale for this exercise and the clubs would have voted on that basis.

The Crows have kept their word and having top up players who are younger dilutes the AFL standard team somewhat and makes it competitive and a development side also.

If the Port supporters come on here and start talking 'community', I think I'll throw up.

If their top up players are chosen before listed players and rookies, then the SANFL clubs will be competing with a professional team whose weaker players are playing in their Reserves and their senior team being AFL players topped up with the better SANFL players.  No salary cap and no acknowledgement that the whole reason they are in the competition was to have all their listed players playing in the same team.

I hope my suspicions are wrong.  They should be, but as a strong supporter of the SANFL administration, it's time they stood up and made it clear they won't stand for any crap.

One thing I do know and that is that Port are only ever out for themselves.  Not the 'community', not the good of the league and certainly not to keep their word.

There.   Very Happy

Last edited by redandblack on Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Time for the SANFL to stand up to the Power. Empty Re: Time for the SANFL to stand up to the Power.

Post by lachlan Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:50 am

R&B

Beautifully written. I couldn't agree more with what you have written. The Summerton situation is an absolute joke.
The recruit from Geelong area coming to Adelaide for $400.00 a game makes me laugh
lachlan
lachlan

Back to top Go down

Time for the SANFL to stand up to the Power. Empty Re: Time for the SANFL to stand up to the Power.

Post by bayman Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:46 pm

r&b writes

''but as a strong supporter of the SANFL administration, it's time they stood up and made it clear they won't stand for any crap.''

i have absolutely no faith in the SANFL administration these days

---------------------------------------------------------------

at the ''why are we voting yes seminar'' at Glenelg some well known Glenelg people voiced their opinion that if Port (AFL) come in the Magpies should be completely written off & defunct from the competition, i'll be honest i was against this as i thought they had a right to play being an equally important fabric of the competition just like the other 8 sovereign clubs, however this is getting beyond a joke & as per usual they seem to be dictating as to what will happen, as for the ''community statement'' well if they really believed that they wouldn't have wanted to go into the VFL whoops AFL in the first place
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:33 pm

One way the SANFL clubs might deal with the situation is if that is what turns out to be the case, is simply to forfeit their Reserves match against the Port Adelaide Academy Squad, leaving them no option but to play their required players in their first string team.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:06 pm

Well all I can add, is "absolutely".

Booney called me on the Port to come clean issue.

But I think what everything everyone else has written, including this thread, is calling for them to be upfront with their intentions on these issues.

For mine, they are not the Magpies, they msy just look like them.
This community development rubbish is just a way to have your cake and eat it too.

I am afraid any sympathy I had for Port has now evaporated as they just continue to look after themselves with four fifths of stuff all consideration of what they might be doing to the league.

So as far as I am concerned the gloves are off and if the sanfl cannot keep them in line and enforce the rules that their concessions were conceived for, then I am afraid I am done and league level football in this state will have little to no meaning for me.

I am fed up with this cr@p.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:46 pm

What do you want r&b. A team to look like Port that you can beat? Isn't this about 6 months too late?

If a top up player is better performed than an AFL listed player, then by all means they should be picked ahead. Being on an AFL list shouldn't give you automatic right to be an SANFL league player.

The problem lies in how Port have been able to choose their top up players.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:38 am

When are the AFL licenses due for sale again?
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by therealROSSCO Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:42 am

The time for standing up to the whole situation has passed. The clubs have made their own bed - they must now lie in it. The SANFL clubs, with the exception of South and Central have no grounds to demand anything IMO.
therealROSSCO
therealROSSCO

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:26 am

Aerie wrote:What do you want r&b. A team to look like Port that you can beat? Isn't this about 6 months too late?

If a top up player is better performed than an AFL listed player, then by all means they should be picked ahead. Being on an AFL list shouldn't give you automatic right to be an SANFL league player.

The problem lies in how Port have been able to choose their top up players.

The cries of "integrity" when this was the thinking, AFL listed players gifted a game, now it seems they wont be gifted a game and there's more tears?

Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:33 am

Oh, it's the Port Adelaide Football Club, thanks.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:23 am

We're just forlornly expecting Port to keep to the spirit of their agreement.

I've been consistent about this all along.

I also see that henry Slattery will be their 28yo player. There's another story of breaking their word that the arrangement then between the Power and the Magpies would be 'administrative' only.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:59 am

redandblack wrote:We're just forlornly expecting Port to keep to the spirit of their agreement.

I've been consistent about this all along.

I also see that henry Slattery will be their 28yo player.  There's another story of breaking their word that the arrangement then between the Power and the Magpies would be 'administrative' only.
Slattery is only 27, isn't he?
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by BloodnTars Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:46 am

Will be 28 in January.
BloodnTars
BloodnTars

Teams : West Adelaide, Adelaide Crows, Gepps Cross

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:54 am

Oh BloodnTars you just ruined my best shot! I was going to say that if he was a racehorse, they'd say he was "rising 28". Up 'till August 1st next year, when they all have their birthdays.  Laughing 
countrycousin
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:25 pm

therealROSSCO wrote:The time for standing up to the whole situation has passed. The clubs have made their own bed - they must now lie in it. The SANFL clubs, with the exception of South and Central have no grounds to demand anything IMO.

My thoughts exactly, I didn't want these two AFL clubs to participate in the SANFL at all but the vote was in favour of it and now we have it, so all the bleating and moaning is just falling on deaf ears-carry on all you want we have it for one season.

The only thing South and Centrals will take is the $50,000 each year for voting no or maybe donate it to charity.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Yes but do you remember the bit that Port had to have the same model as the Crows? And this was the sanfl that decreed that. IE No SANFL Reserves, U18s etc.

Now that hasn't happened and they get to keep them, at least for 2014.

So you have the Crows on one model, Port on another and 8 other clubs on another. Add various salary cap penalty concessions for a couple of other clubs in order to secure their vote and we have a lovely blend of evenness and fairness to our competition.

This whole debate only arises because Port have something nobody else has. Make them conform to what was supposed to happen for them to get an alf reserves side and we wouldn't have this debate.

So I guess we just suck it up and follow our sanfl leaders like lemmings into whatever abyss this competition will become.

You have to hand it to Port, they just wear everybody down, financially and with incessant demands based on their own self importance.

And now it seems people are willing to just let them be and get on with it.

Staggering.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Centrals dominate for 10 years and we don't ask any questions but we are already crying about Port Adelaide Power before they have played a game.

How typical of us.
jelly
jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:01 pm

jelly wrote:Centrals dominate for 10 years and we don't ask any questions but we are already crying about Port Adelaide Power before they have played a game.

How typical of us.

What the F@%k are you talking about ?
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:52 pm

testy wrote:What the F@%k are you talking about ?

It is quite simple.

Those complaining about the integrity of the competition being lost are at least fifteen years too late, and are pointing the finger at the wrong organization.

If one team wins the premiership every year for ten years, it is not much of a competition.

As far as I can tell PP are playing within the rules agreed to with the SANFL. PP should be trying to best list possible just like any other team. If they end up being overpowered we can only blame the SANFL for agreeing to the terms.

but ofcourse nothing gets the blood boiling like Port Power. So we will blame them for all our problems.
jelly
jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:13 pm

hey jelly, do think guys like Summerton & co will be on $400.00 per game ?........i think they'll be on $400.00 per game & about $500.00 per car to wash during the week, or some other similar scenario  Wink 

btw jelly, welcome aboard
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:38 pm

They might but I think under the table deals are something that happens at all clubs.

At the end of the day any sort of reserves side in the SANFL competition is going to compromise the comp, if the SANFL was better run and not so reliant on the AFL clubs we could have cut them loose. They would have then gone to the SAAFL or VFL and eventually pushed for an AFL reserves competition.

But instead the SANFL bent over.

Mind you this setup will still be better than the previous one, where Adelaide aand PP players are playing for random SANFL teams and moving clubs midseason when things are not working out.
jelly
jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:03 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:Yes but do you remember the bit that Port had to have the same model as the Crows? And this was the sanfl that decreed that. IE No SANFL Reserves, U18s etc.

Now that hasn't happened and they get to keep them, at least for 2014.

So you have the Crows on one model, Port on another and 8 other clubs on another. Add various salary cap penalty concessions for a couple of other clubs in order to secure their vote and we have a lovely blend of evenness and fairness to our competition.

This whole debate only arises because Port have something nobody else has. Make them conform to what was supposed to happen for them to get an alf reserves side and we wouldn't have this debate.

So I guess we just suck it up and follow our sanfl leaders like lemmings into whatever abyss this competition will become.

You have to hand it to Port, they just wear everybody down, financially and with  incessant demands based on their own self importance.

And now it seems people are willing to just let them be and get on with it.

Staggering.

I don't remember that at all
What I do know is that this has been agreed to by the SANFL (majority vote) for season 2014 but not beyond, we just have to suck it up for one season.

testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:18 pm

Well I do.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:52 pm

Booney wrote:Oh, it's the Port Adelaide Football Club, thanks.

I've called them many things but never Port Adelaide Football Club. Not gonna start now.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:22 pm

i've posted this on another thread but i'll post it here as well........

Mr Booney & other Port people,
i have (what too me) is an interesting question & i'm very interested in hearing what your answers are & infact what the official confirmation is

when Port the SANFL team wins a match next year which song will we hear playing, will it be

''Cheer Cheer'' ?
or
''Never Stop Stop Stop'' ?
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next