robranisgod
Scrappy
FOOTYfollower
Mannyredleg
Scrunch
bayman
13 posters

Go down

is the SANFL dying a slow death ? Empty is the SANFL dying a slow death ?

Post by bayman Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:34 pm

with the disrespectful way the Power are changing players to ''ONE CLUB'' i feel it is only a matter of time before this great competition we all love will perish into nothing more than a ''feeder'' with winning not the main agenda, UNLESS A STOP IS PUT TO THIS DICTATORSHIP OUR LEAGUE IS DOOMED

so in your opinion is the SANFL dying a slow death ?
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

is the SANFL dying a slow death ? Empty Re: is the SANFL dying a slow death ?

Post by Scrunch Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:48 pm

The SANFL has already moved a long way down the path of being a feeder competition as it is. I refer back to a previous topic http://www.talkingfootysa.com/t1322-the-state-of-football . I would like to know exactly what the SANFLs "ensuring the future of football in South Australia" means exactly? Once the AFL clubs own their licenses then wouldn't the 9 SANFL clubs form the sole level of the SANFL governing bodys responsibility?
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Mannyredleg Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:50 pm

I take a different view on this. By the end of the year the SANFL should have made a decision on where AFL players will be playing in the SANFL if at all. I cant see them allowing the AFL reserves to play in the league comp as the SANFL will lose legitimacy and alienate many SANFL supporters a lot of who will walk and be lost to Aussie Rules forever. If they decide to allow them to play in the reserve comp or decide no AFL players at any level in the SANFL then the Magpies unfortunately will no longer be a league side and we will go to an 8 team competition. I cant see Port maintaining a league and a reserve side any more. As far as I'm concerned Port can stack the Magpies this year with AFL players (they are after all their players) but it will be a moot point next season.
Mannyredleg
Mannyredleg

Teams : Norwood
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by FOOTYfollower Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:54 pm

The SANFL has resembled a feeder competition since 1991.
FOOTYfollower
FOOTYfollower

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:22 pm

Mannyredleg wrote:If they decide to allow them to play in the reserve comp

I dont understand why the SANFL would have an obligation to facilitate either of the local AFL clubs in any of their competitions or grades? If Port and Crows own their own licenses then wouldnt the responsibility to aid them fall to their parent body which would then be the AFL?
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:24 pm

SANFL
1877 BC
1990 BC

B...efore
C...rows

Footy Follower is spot on
Unfortunately the competition as a product has progressively got worse ever since 1990
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:48 pm

Scrappy wrote:SANFL
1877 BC
1990 BC

B...efore
C...rows

Footy Follower is spot on
Unfortunately the competition as a product has progressively got worse ever since 1990

On what I have read there is actually 4 distinct eras of SA footy

1877-1897 - Pre Electorate SAFA
1897-1990 - Electorate SAFA and then from 1907 SANFL
1991-1996 - Adelaide Crows and SANFL
1997-current day Adelade Crows, Port Adelaide (the Power) and SANFL

Last edited by robranisgod on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:05 pm

I wonder what the landscape would look like if Port gained entry to the AFL in 1990.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:07 pm

Scrunch wrote:
Mannyredleg wrote:If they decide to allow them to play in the reserve comp

I dont understand why the SANFL would have an obligation to facilitate either of the local AFL clubs in any of their competitions or grades? If Port and Crows own their own licenses then wouldnt the responsibility to aid them fall to their parent body which would then be the AFL?

I agree with this also, we owe them nothing. From next season let them take all of there players and go play elsewhere and not in the SANFL, end of problem.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:39 pm

This is an issue I consider and grappple with almost daily and my answer lies in two parts.

- A slow decline (it won't die) is is the most likely occurance if you look at the growing nationalisation / & globilisation of sports coverage and the condition of other state sporting leagues. This before you even get into SA specific issues.

- It doesn't have to be that way. Adapt, Improvise & Overcome. The world is full of niche players that thrive in the same market as the big boys because they offer something different that people want.

As an example ie the global decline in newspapers which translated to major structure changes at News Ltd which in turn has meant less SANFL coverage in The Advertiser in recent years (loss of Monday Morning Centreman and game by game previews being prime examples). However this year the league (Zac Milbank) and clubs are much more proactive with their own content and communications and are filling that content hole.

I alway suggest that the SANFL should look at College Sports and Minor League Baseball in the US to see plentiful examples of how a lower level of sport can still attract great community support if the package is right.

PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by bayman Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:55 pm

waddayamean wrote:
PhilH wrote:This is an issue I consider and grappple with almost daily and my answer lies in two parts.

- A slow decline (it won't die) is is the most likely occurance if you look at the growing nationalisation / & globilisation of sports coverage and the condition of other state sporting leagues. This before you even get into SA specific issues.

- It doesn't have to be that way. Adapt, Improvise & Overcome. The world is full of niche players that thrive in the same market as the big boys because they offer something different that people want.

As an example ie the global decline in newspapers which translated to major structure changes at News Ltd which in turn has meant less SANFL coverage in The Advertiser in recent years (loss of Monday Morning Centreman and game by game previews being prime examples). However this year the league (Zac Milbank) and clubs are much more proactive with their own content and communications and are filling that content hole.

I alway suggest that the SANFL should look at College Sports and Minor League Baseball in the US to see plentiful examples of how a lower level of sport can still attract great community support if the package is right.

Some interesting points here and some valid ones. However I am not sure the SANFL are plugging holes. They could do it a lot better .

The other issue I see is the person currently running the AFL seems content with destroying the game at levels below the AFL. Very very foolish.

When there are problems in organisations you look at the top. I think the same for sport.

every time i've heard Andrew Demetriou on Adelaide radio & he's been asked he's said we need a strong SANFL, WAFL & VFL for the future of football both at AFL level & those levels below

i never know whether to believe him or not, sometimes i feel like writing a letter & ask questions but think the secretary would read & then bin it so i don't bother
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:25 am

PhilH wrote:This is an issue I consider and grappple with almost daily and my answer lies in two parts.

A. The SANFL could better protect their league and their members. Although perhaps the license issue could be sorted prior to that happening.
B. the clubs being more media proactive with its members is great but how does that target new audiences?
c. Are the College sports affiliated in some respect with the highest level?

I don't believe those of us who care about the SANFL have delusions of grandeur that it could rival the AFL. But what we need to find and fight for is an acceptable slice of the pie.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:22 am

The 3 levels of footy (and probably all similar codes) need to work together toward a shared vision and model. What we have at the moment is probably the best of a bad lot of options.

There are good points in all of these posts above and many of us are singing (generally) from the same song sheet I think.

It is annoying that people like our esteemed AFL CEO offer platitudes and an arrogant attitude that we are all numbats unable to understand the mechanisms of it all.

If the AFL had wanted to truly bringing the levels of footy together in aiming toward a common objective, I am sure they could have facilitated that long before now.

But the AFL management have been too focussed on their expansionist empire aspirations to pay proper attention to the dominions already within the empire. A bit akin to Richard I (aka Lionheart) maybe?
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:38 am

bayman wrote:with the disrespectful way the Power are changing players to ''ONE CLUB'' i feel it is only a matter of time before this great competition we all love will perish into nothing more than a ''feeder'' with winning not the main agenda, UNLESS A STOP IS PUT TO THIS DICTATORSHIP OUR LEAGUE IS DOOMED

Dictatorship? Bloody hell bayman, ring the SANFL and ask why this is happening. Your endless grizzles on here are just pointless.

Dictatorship :

A dictatorship is defined as an autocratic form of government in which the government is ruled by an individual: a dictator. It has three possible meanings:

A Roman dictator was the incumbent of a political office of legislate of the Roman Republic. Roman dictators were allocated absolute power during times of emergency. Their power was originally neither arbitrary nor unaccountable, being subject to law and requiring retrospective justification. There were no such dictatorships after the beginning of the 2nd century BC, and later dictators such as Sulla and the Roman Emperors exercised power much more personally and arbitrarily.
A government controlled by one person, or a small group of people. In this form of government the power rests entirely on the person or group of people, and can be obtained by force or by inheritance. The dictator(s) may also take away much of its peoples' freedom.
In contemporary usage, dictatorship refers to an autocratic form of absolute rule by leadership unrestricted by law, constitutions, or other social and political factors within the state.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:26 pm

Booney wrote:
bayman wrote:with the disrespectful way the Power are changing players to ''ONE CLUB'' i feel it is only a matter of time before this great competition we all love will perish into nothing more than a ''feeder'' with winning not the main agenda, UNLESS A STOP IS PUT TO THIS DICTATORSHIP OUR LEAGUE IS DOOMED

Dictatorship? Bloody hell bayman, ring the SANFL and ask why this is happening. Your endless grizzles on here are just pointless.

Dictatorship :

A dictatorship is defined as an autocratic form of government in which the government is ruled by an individual: a dictator. It has three possible meanings:

A Roman dictator was the incumbent of a political office of legislate of the Roman Republic. Roman dictators were allocated absolute power during times of emergency. Their power was originally neither arbitrary nor unaccountable, being subject to law and requiring retrospective justification. There were no such dictatorships after the beginning of the 2nd century BC, and later dictators such as Sulla and the Roman Emperors exercised power much more personally and arbitrarily.
A government controlled by one person, or a small group of people. In this form of government the power rests entirely on the person or group of people, and can be obtained by force or by inheritance. The dictator(s) may also take away much of its peoples' freedom.
In contemporary usage, dictatorship refers to an autocratic form of absolute rule by leadership unrestricted by law, constitutions, or other social and political factors within the state.

as they say ''the truth hurts'' not grizzling just saying it as i see it

have you done your 1990 homework yet ? i bet no you haven't
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:37 am

I'm fully aware of what unfolded in 1990. To call what is happening now a "dictatorship" is just completely unfounded.

SANFL - 8268 2088

( I trust you wont be supporting McKernan tomorrow? )
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:28 am

Booney, I'd be really interested if you ever wrote something about what it's like to be a passionate Magpies supporter ATM and what effect and doubts, if any, the current changes are having.

Would be a good read, I'd say.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:47 am

I'll "pen" something over the weekend mate.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:17 am

Thanks, I'll look forward to it.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down