brodlach
Gingernuts
Booney
10 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Go down

Round 3 Showdown - Sunday 14/4 Empty Round 3 Showdown - Sunday 14/4

Post by Booney Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:24 am

Both sides will go into this game with some confidence and expecting a win, but both will also go in knowing it is really a 50/50 game.

Adelaide have players in form who Port will find it difficult to match up on.

Dangerfield - Cornes does not have the pace to go with Dangerfield, so I expect Thompson will get the close tag and maybe go Boak head-to-head with Patty and try to hurt Adelaide going the other way. The other option is Ebert for mine. Pretty tough to stop Dangerfield and keep him out of the game altogther so better to try and use the man on him to win ball the other way.

Walker - I think Trengove and not Carlile will get first crack at Walker, Carlile will take Jenkins when he comes down, or Jacobs. Another option for Port is Jonas who plays tall and small and is surprisingly strong, he wont wrestle with Walker and win, but play off and run and jump at contests. As always, keep the supply down and under pressure and it makes the back halfs job easier.

Port also have players who Adelaide will struggle to match up on.

Westhoff - Has shown previously that Adelaide dont have a logical match up for him by being in Ports best in the last few lop sided Showdowns. Not having to go up as the second ruckman gives him the ability to run off his opponent all night, as he has in round one and two. A bloke 199cm running 15+km's per game makes him a tough match up. Perhaps Otten may go to Westhoff. Like I said, Im not sure who goes to him. Talia may get the job, but he likes to be the extra man up in defence so he might not want to be up on the wing chasing Westhoff around. Rutten cant do it, simple as that.

Boak - As noted, he may go to Dangerfield, but I expect van Berlo to go to Boak or Ebert. I then expect Boak or Ebert ( if van Berlo is on them ) to go to Dangerfield and free up the other. This will be an interesting duel and a bit of a merry-go-round early. Boak can be damaging in close with his hands and can also kick goals. He was good against Melbourne, better against GWS and I think he would be primed for a big game as skipper in his first Showdown.

One contest both sides will know is ultra important is in the centre square with Jacobs and Jenkins facing Redden and Lobbe. Whoever can get on top in that area will, as always, go along way to helping their side win. To be dangerous, Redden and Lobbe need to work Jacobs over by going forward as much as possible. I can see both Port big men playing 70-80% game time to try and stretch the Adelaides defence.

This is going to be a cracker and I think Adelaide should go in favourites, just.

Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Round 3 Showdown - Sunday 14/4 Empty R3 - The Showdown - Port V Adelaide

Post by Gingernuts Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:26 am

Morning all,

Well this weekend sees one of the most tantalising Showdown match ups for a few years. An Adelaide side still blowing out the last of the off season cobwebs, up against a resurgent Port Adelaide. Hopefully we will see a rip roaring contest.

I think the match will be a great indicator in just where Port Adelaide is at in their development. While they have started in fine form with two comprehensive wins, they have come against the 2 sides most likely to finish 17th & 18th.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Round 3 Showdown - Sunday 14/4 Empty Re: Round 3 Showdown - Sunday 14/4

Post by brodlach Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:26 am

I think Cassisi will be back for you Booney, guess that means Mitchell will miss out?
brodlach
brodlach

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:29 am

Betting market

Port Adelaide $2.15
Adelaide $1.64
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:34 am

If it was anything like yesterday's Coll v Carl match, it should be a ripper. I think Port can create an 'upset' here.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:07 am

Booney, what is your opinion about whether Gray, Cassisi and Mitchell will play?
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:25 am

redandblack wrote:Booney, what is your opinion about whether Gray, Cassisi and Mitchell will play?

I dont know if there will be any changes this week R&B.

I watched a bit of West v Eagles and I dont think Gray comes straight back in, I think he looked like he needed another run.

Mitchell has been sub two weeks in a row and only played the last 1/4 of each game and done nothing wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if they look at playing him this week in the mid field to add some extra run to our mid field.

Neade would be the most likely to miss out if Gray is picked this week, that will be tough luck for the young lad as his efforts off the ball in our forward line have been outstanding.

Cassisi would only come in if we need the extra run with player this week, perhaps being assigned Thompson so Cornes can go to Sloane of Dangerfield.

Cassisi was excellent Saturday, I think he comes back in. For Mitchell? Probably.

I dont think Gray is ready just yet.

Crikey, glad I'm not doing selection this week!!
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:32 am

Thanks, nice position to be in at last.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:47 am

Good write up Booney. I reckon Talia will definitely get the job on Westhoff.

Will be a cracking game I reckon, but I'm reasonably confident Adelaide can get over the line. It won't be in the one sided nature of the last couple though.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:13 pm

Not sure about that Ginge. I think Schulz will be too mobile for Rutten and Talia will need to be the third man up in those contests and may be required if we position Lobbe or Redden out of the square.

Talia would not want to be up on the wing running around after Westhoff if Port are going deep into the forward half.

Johncock for Callinan this week?
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:40 pm

I saw Cassisi on the Tv on Sat for the first half. Absolutely killed them with spot on passes and his decision making first rate.

Reckon he would be worth including. Gray probably not yet.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:56 pm

Booney wrote:Johncock for Callinan this week?

Yep. Porps to start on the field with Johncock as sub I reckon.

Otten is a third tall defender who could come into play, perhaps against Schulz. I would expect them to change things up to be honest - perhaps Otten to follow anyone past half back while Talia stays at home. Rarely does a match up last a whole game these days.

Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:57 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:I saw Cassisi on the Tv on Sat for the first half. Absolutely killed them with spot on passes and his decision making first rate.

No, he was terrible, Chambo.

Needs many more weeks at Westies Wink
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:10 pm

redandblack wrote:
Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:I saw Cassisi on the Tv on Sat for the first half. Absolutely killed them with spot on passes and his decision making first rate.

No, he was terrible, Chambo.

Needs many more weeks at Westies Wink

Yeah, sorry, he was rubbish. Must have been confusing him with another dark haired lad. Smile
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:56 am

Jonas on Walker worked a treat after Tex threw Trengove off his feet a couple of times early, Kane Cornes still one of if not the premier run with player in the comp by keeping Dangerfield to limited touches, Westhoff had nobodu who could run with him as for some reason Talia was lose behind the ball early, Monfries a very handy addition to our forward structure.

Now I'm going to have to admit to a small man crush here. Ollie Wines....what a bloody ripper he is. Very Happy
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:20 am

Congratulations on the win, Booney, well deserved.

There aren't many teams who get ahead of themselves as much as Adelaide, it happens often.

Boys, you're not good enough to start getting cute in games you think you've won.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:23 am

What changes, if any, do you think Port will make?

Cassisi is ready to play, IMO. Gray still a game or two short, I'd say.

If there are no changes, it's not silly to say West might have to find a spot for Tuck and Porplyzia!
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:32 pm

Well, it was a cracking game last night, and while I'm disappointed as a Crows man with the result I am happy that the Showdown seems to be back in it's rightful place as one of the biggest events on the SA football calendar.

The crowd sounded ridiculous on TV, was great to see.

From an Adelaide point of view, I don't have long term concerns about the season yet at this stage, but there are certainly a few short term headaches for Sanderson and his offsiders.

The main one being the midfield. The Adelaide midfield are getting smashed for large chunks of games at the moment, particularly at the centre bounce. It seems to be dead easy for opponents to smash through 3 or 4 goals in a blink of an eye, with an Adelaide player hardly touching the footy.

Sure there are problems in defence also, but if I was Sanderson it would be the midfield that would be copping most of my attention this week including Jacobs in the ruck.

I would be making a couple of changes also. Sorry Mr Vince, but I think it's time for a spell, forced or otherwise. I don't think he had a disposal that actually hit a target, he burnt every possession he had and then his ill discipline threw the game away when there was still a sniff of a chance.

Jaensch also rates himself far too highly - and by that I mean he calls for the ball when he is clearly not in the best position to receive it (see Wright's hand off last night). He is not the right option off half back, he just lacks the composure required.

Brodie Smith needs to come back in, and I think Kerridge should get another opportunity in defence.

Anyway, they will need to bounce back at home agains the Doggies this week, otherwise they will be in some Barney Rubble.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:36 pm

redandblack wrote:There aren't many teams who get ahead of themselves as much as Adelaide, it happens often.

Boys, you're not good enough to start getting cute in games you think you've won.

As an Adelaide fan I whole heartedly agree with your comments R&B.

They better sort it out soon too because the season will slip away before they know it.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by FOOTYfollower Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:51 pm

redandblack wrote:What changes, if any, do you think Port will make?

Cassisi is ready to play, IMO. Gray still a game or two short, I'd say.

If there are no changes, it's not silly to say West might have to find a spot for Tuck and Porplyzia!

I've heard that Kane Mitchell is going back to rookie list as Salter is apparently fit again (thats what I've heard, although it wouldn't be ideal for Port I'd imagine; perhaps if P Stewart has long term injury, Mitchell can take his spot for a bit).

Given that Mitchell goes to SANFL duties, perhaps Cassisi will come into the side.

Re Porplyzia, his fall from grace has been interesting. He's just lost that something special he had 3 or 4 years ago. Obviously injury, and perhaps age, are catching up with him.

FOOTYfollower
FOOTYfollower

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Dare I say it, I do think its time for Richard Tambling to be given another opportunity to prove himself.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by bayman Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:03 pm

bigclock wrote:
Ben W wrote:Dare I say it, I do think its time for Richard Tambling to be given another opportunity to prove himself.

We are in more trouble than I thought if that is the case

Johncock kicked 7 on him the other night but as silly as it sounds i thought Tambling held his own for most of the night, it was a great dual

Lyons deserves his chance he's been playing well not only this year but last year as well

bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down