Scrunch
howthewestwaswon
blueandwhite
waddayamean
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Ben W
11 posters

Go down

SANFL players in country leagues.  Empty SANFL players in country leagues.

Post by Ben W Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:51 pm

This weeks blog from Ron Fuller addresses the for and against of SANFL players in the country leagues,

Big money in country.

Wednesday 27th February 2013 - By Ronny's Blog

I had to laugh on Sunday when I read that some players found it easy to quit SANFL football to go to the country and earn big money because they didn’t have to train up to 5 nights a week.
These players have played a season or two of SANFL but the country clubs are prepared to pay them exorbitant amounts to play in their leagues.
I just found it a slur on the vast majority of players in the SANFL who are prepared to train hard to be the best they can be, whether it is to still get in the AFL, get back in the AFL or just to play as high a competition as possible.
As I say these players want to be the best they can be but society is increasingly rewarding mediocrity or those that want to take the easy way out.
We then question where some people’s work ethic has gone or why young people aren’t encouraged to be the best they can be.
I was also disappointed to see where the likes of Jade Sheedy and Jeremy Clayton were named as some who have left the SANFL to cash in on this exercise.
I actually think these amounts of money ought to go to players like Sheedy and Clayton who have paid their dues after a decade of trying to be the best they can.
They have given great service to their clubs and league.
They will give these country clubs there all and do deserve to be rewarded without having to train as they have done for the past 10 or so years.
Meanwhile we do need to be endeavoring to teach as well as have young people want to be the best they can be, in whatever they choose to do.
I may have a possible solution to this dilemma in the SANFL, but that can wait for another blog.

Ron Fuller.

Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

SANFL players in country leagues.  Empty Re: SANFL players in country leagues.

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:18 pm

Hard to argue with that.

But in Sheedy and Clayton's case, I doubt they have left solely for the money. Both would still command a reasonable cop in the sanfl.

They have both given spectacular service to their clubs and I can't imagine any Sturt or Port supporter thinking that they are copping out by "taking it easy" with the less demands of country footy or any footy for that matter. They both have young families that they miss out on spending time with. That would play on their minds. Ron does acknowledge this.

Where the system goes horribly wrong, is when you have a kid after 5 reserves games, plays in a winning reserves GF and is named best afield and for the last 2 years has played in the River Murray. Apparently his sanfl side didn't want him. Yeah that is a bit too easy methinks. Perhaps he wanted big bucks now, and wasn't prepared to wait until he had at least cemented a spot in the league side. Which by now I am sure he would have done.

I am sure this will not be palatable to younger people, but the "reward before acheivement" mantra is something that is so commonplace in Gen Y.
As I read in the paper on the weekend, employers consciously refusing to take on teenage apprentices due to the unreliability and unearned expectations that they face.

I await part 2 of Ronnie's wisdom with baited breath.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by blueandwhite Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:39 am

[quote="waddayamean"]Ron might want to focus on lifting his club up the ladder for more than 1 year and actually write something that is coherent . Not much sense in that , Ron might want broaden his mindset and understand motivation a bit before he makes embarassing comments. He may need his reigns pulled in , South have this issue culturally. Head coach is always right mentatlity.

Personally I look forward to "Ronnies Blog"... I might not agree with everything that Ron says, but at least he obviously has a passion for the sanfl and like many of us is concerned about its future. Ron is a 200+ sanfl player and has been a coach for 10+ years as well; I think he has the credentials and experience to at make a comment on the sanfl. Smile
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:55 am

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:I am sure this will not be palatable to younger people, but the "reward before acheivement" mantra is something that is so commonplace in Gen Y.
As I read in the paper on the weekend, employers consciously refusing to take on teenage apprentices due to the unreliability and unearned expectations that they face.

Even worse in the generations to follow! Shocked

I'm of Gen Y breed, but even I know I need to work very hard for any reward, although sometimes impatience does get the better of me! The key is PERSISTENCE! SANFL players in country leagues.  169538438
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:11 am

For the younger folk, there's a difference between delusions of grandeur and actually being offered a wage. I can't blame any of them if they potentially sacrifice a 200 game career for $1,000 a game in the country if they feel it better suit's their pocket and/or lifestyle. Yes such a player would be quickly forgotten in SANFL lore, but that is his choice and good luck to him. I think the fault lies in the system that allows it to happen.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:23 am

I always find Ronnie's Blog a good read and I think he's on the mark here.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:17 am

Higglytown Hero wrote:I actually think he is wrong.

Commitment to playing sanfl football can cost jobs, lifestyle and financial opportunity with the training requirements.

And then they can cut you off the list when they feel the need.

Or expect the local clubs to play players if they drop them from the reserves.

It goes both ways.

Another example if the sanfl thinking they are more important than they actually are.

A mate of mine was invited to do pre-season with West a few years back, but with his job at the time, it often meant he was finishing at 6pm or later. The club told him that if he can't make the commitment, then don't bother, so he left. Very disappointed I might add. But I suppose it's the nature of the beast.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:09 am

Higglytown Hero wrote:I actually think he is wrong.

Commitment to playing sanfl football can cost jobs, lifestyle and financial opportunity with the training requirements.

And then they can cut you off the list when they feel the need.

Or expect the local clubs to play players if they drop them from the reserves.

It goes both ways.

Another example if the sanfl thinking they are more important than they actually are.

I assume you mean the clubs, rather than the SANFL. Commitment to anything can cost you opportunities to do other things. It can also, as does involvement with SANFL clubs, lead to employment and other opportunities.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:37 am

I think West have only one player from local leagues training this year. We've lost a 100 game player because of salary cap restrictions and the lure of country league payments.

Fringe players also don't persist long before returning to their local club.

It's still not easy getting a league game. What happens is that you finish with two types of players in such cases: those who go back to their local teams and wonder for the rest of their lives if they would have made it and those who persist and might wonder later whether they wasted their time.

No easy answer
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:42 pm

Using Clayton and Sheedy as examples of players who have gone to the country and being paid big money is a bad example IMO. These two players have payed there dues at SANFL level and I say good on them.

I guess it is a personal decision by any player to do whatever he thinks is best for himself.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:09 pm

testy wrote:

Using Clayton and Sheedy as examples of players who have gone to the country and being paid big money is a bad example IMO. These two players have payed there dues at SANFL level and I say good on them.

That is exactly what Ron said in the article Testy?
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

Post by lachlan Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:58 pm

Fillers blog is always a good read. In this case I agree with him
lachlan
lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down