Adelaide Hawk
Aristotle Ablett
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

One Club - Page 2 Empty Re: One Club

Post by Go Legs Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:29 pm

A bit of Logic:

Liam Jurrah is not required by any other AFL club, draft has already proved that.

Jurrah is also not required by any SANFL club otherwise he would have been recruited by now, subject to legally keeping him in the team (Salary Cap)

Port Adelaide Magpies are prepaired to make him an offer to play for them, o/k by me so long as it complies with the Salary Cap.

Port Power have not listed Jurrah, nor have they rookie listed him, if they are genuine about him as a player in 2014 they have to get him through the AFL draft next year.

If it is done any other way I would suggest we would have another AFL Investigation in rorting the Draft System and I doubt whether the club could pick up a $300K fine and would keep Keith Thomas in the event.
Go Legs
Go Legs

My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:31 pm

I am on the side of "raised eyebrows".

This line that shall not be crossed between the 2 Ports seems dangerously blurred at the moment.

This issue is not about Jurruh. If Mickey Mouse was at the heart of this, it would be the same. And Mickey is squeaky clean! Very Happy

What is ok and what is not seems not to have been defined finitely.
So I guess Port's temptation is push the bounds until someone says stop.

The stars do seem to be aligning in many respects with them acting like an AFL reserves side is "fait accompli".

If the other 8 clubs don't query the sanfl over what this overall football operations distinction between the 2 Ports actually means, then it will continue and probably even more noticeably.

I think it is time that a club or clubs officially ask the question.

I agree with R&B, it isn't about who can afford Jurruh.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:36 pm

it has to be stopped now, if you give them an inch they will take a mile (they have good form doing that) & to answer one of CK's point i'm sure every SANFL club would have a psychologist that at least barracks for each club & would be very happy to help their club & if not i'm sure the psychologist the SANFL employs for the umpires ( hi Emily) would be happy to help Liam with any problems he has

to my amazement i suggested on snouts a few weeks ago about talking to Liam & seeing if he was interested in playing & 99% of others thought it was a ridiculous idea, i don't have a problem with an SANFL player working in the office for an AFL club, but not training with them apart from the normal with blokes trying to impress to get on a list

but the bottom line is Port continues to pull the SANFL down & has been doing it for many many years as they think they are the only club that exists in Adelaide, always have & always will
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:56 pm

perhaps just let Port magpies die & invite Port Melbourne into the SANFL competition as they are a stand alone team, then we could still 'hate Port & to add spice to it by being a Victorian team' Very Happy
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:08 pm

"Power offer a SANFL spot but will not revive Liam Jurrah's AFL career"

This is the headline how the AFL web site has reported it.

Hmm....
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Legs Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:13 pm

I am a great lover of getting back to an 8 team comp not remaining a 9 team convoluted crap of a bye here and there, so please do not get me started on that separate issue.

I am also a great conspiracy theorist at the best of times, so again don't get me started.

Port Magpies are to recruit Liam so be it but lets look closely at the salary and its impact on the Port Magpies, If he is to be employed by the Port Power in an official capacity again that needs close scrutiny with regards to the Agreement signed off between the SANFL, it's clubs (inc Magpies) and the Port Power One Club admin.

If the combination of Salary at the Power and salary at the Magpies is anything like his last Melbourne total player payments then I think an SANFL investigation is on.

The same goes with the other AFL reject who has a work agreement with the Power and playing with the Magpies.

I don't believe that Port Power have any rights to claim either of these players outside the AFL Draft System even if they play in the Power Seconds side in 2014.

I stand to be corrected there as I do not understand how the seconds teams work within the AFL, I have always assumed that the AFL team has a squad of 40 with rookies, but that cannot possibly field a seconds side as well (Long term injuries, other injuries, suspensions and the like drain that squad numbers) there has to be invited players but not listed to the AFL team and they can be contracted elsewhere by other AFL clubs via the draft.

Go Legs
Go Legs

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:30 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:"Power offer a SANFL spot but will not revive Liam Jurrah's AFL career"

This is the headline how the AFL web site has reported it.

Hmm....

It is not good news for us other clubs in the SANFL.

Once this happens it will open a can of worms and Port will start dictating.

In a few years we will all be doomed!!! Mad

sorry , never agreed to the Power going into the AFL and now I can slowly see it kill the SANFL to a slow death!!
Southee
Southee

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:39 pm

When the SANFL sell the AFL licences, what new owner is going to want to keep the Magpies?

That's a bigger question.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:19 am

C.K wrote:
The Port Adelaide Football Club, whichever arm we look at, is offering him a support network at a very trying time. Can any other SANFL club confidently say they can offer him the full and complete support he needs at present? Certainly, some clubs can afford him financially, but can they afford to devote the sufficient resources he requires overall?

Noble sentiments CK, but the issue is that their license agreement prohibits this sort of arrangement. Port are chipping away at the integrity of the competition again.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:02 am

At the end of things, if anyone can convince me that:

- SANFL clubs that want to recruit him can afford him

- Any of those clubs can offer the necessary support - on a range of levels - to Liam Jurrah, that he requires at this stage of his situation

- That there are more appropriate environments for Liam Jurrah to be a part of at present, that will assist him to reach his short, medium and long term goals, within the nine SANFL clubs. That they have the necessary rehabilitation programs required, for example, if his pending legal proceedings are not a favourable outcome for him and he is unable to play football in this period and needs an active support network around him in Adelaide.

Then I will accept many of the reasoned arguments on this thread. At present, however, I'm yet to see anyone be able to categorically state their club can meet all of these criteria and others.

The statements from Port Adelaide Football Club as to the reasoning behind the move seem to have the player's best interests in mind.

I'm not yet convinced that every argument I'm reading follows the same principles.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Legs Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:13 am

CK, I have agreed with you in principle earlier on in this topic with regards to Liam's well-being going forward.

I have been around in the SANFL for close to 60 years now as an avid Norwood supporter and nothing to date has shown that Port Adelaide/Power has any sense of best interest for the SANFL.

That is the reasoning behind the natural distrust as a first reaction by all non Port supporters to any moves that even remotely look like abridging agreements in place.
Go Legs
Go Legs

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:48 am

CK the player's best interests isn't the only issue here though, as you seem to think.
And as for Port being the only club that can offer this 'solution', the Power are free to offer all their help to Jurrah. But because the Magpies are prohibited from getting a 'football' advantage from it, he would then have to play for another SANFL club. And as his wages would have to be paid by his SANFL club, you can't really be saying Port Magpies are the only SANFL club in a position to do this. They would be at the other end of the spectrum I'd think.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by TigerBoss Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:05 am

I agree with CK.

If anything, I think Port are doing a great thing by Jurrah. He’s overweight, unfit and has a lot going on off-field. He isn’t coming into the SANFL, if he does at all, at the peak of his ability. Port are also mindful and Rohde said so himself, that Port know they are a chance to do all this work on Jurrah to get him right off-field and give him all the support he needs, and then another club will swoop next year and claim him and Port get nothing in return.

As for the Power to Magpies stuff, I never thought that was something the SANFL would be able to police successfully.
TigerBoss
TigerBoss

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:12 am

I feel that Jurrah is free to work with the Power in an official capacity as a paid employee, however if he is to play with the Magpies, then it needs to be included in the Magpies salary cap.

IMO they are quite free to do this, and the only way I can think of it happening is if Jurrah accepts minimal match payments or no match payments in addition to his employee salary.

I think the fairness question comes into play as to whether he'd accept the same conditions at another SANFL club.

The reason the SANFL probably won't step in? I wouldn't think they'd want to do this everytime the Power signs a free agent. And a successful Port may mean more $$. We all saw when the Power won their bid to join the AFL, how scared the SANFL was about cutting the Magpies/Port brand loose form the competition. It hasn't worked for either side - one side losing their true identity within a decade and the other side being compromised by keeping them in.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:53 am

A lot of great points made and I think CK has a good general point, but there's not much doubt that Port appear to have breached their Licence conditions.

The worrying thing is that it must be either deliberate or unintentional. I doubt it's deliberate, which leaves open the point that perhaps they haven't even read their own Licence Agreement.

If that's so, no wonder they fall down in some other areas.

For the record, I've always hoped Port would be reasonably successful, as an ailing Port Power is a drain on the SANFL. If the licence holder changes, that opinion changes too Very Happy
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:17 am

Looks like the SANFL are not impressed....
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/sanfl-clubs-concerned-over-magpiespower-link/story-e6freckc-1226534789505?from=public_rss
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:18 am

Part of that article:

Under the One Club agreement, the Power and the Magpies are prevented from gaining any "direct football advantage" from their 2010 reunification.

Another part:

Thomas confirmed Slattery had been employed by the club.

"He's an outstanding young man and we have appointed him in a welfare position," Thomas said.

"In regards to where he plays footy, I think there are discussions going on between Port Adelaide and West Adelaide about that.

"Ideally he would play for the Magpies but ... I don't think that blurs the line at all. If he works at the Power in a welfare role it's a career choice. Playing for the Magpies... that's a completely separate process." Thomas added: "Port Adelaide (Magpies) hasn't been in the finals for years. We've been in the bottom three or four for the last five years. Why are we getting our knickers in a knot now?"

IMO, at best, disingenuous, at worst ..........?
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Legs Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:53 am

Hmmm, I am a KT fan but that comment smacks of:

a) Frustration that he is asked
b) Confirmation that they (Power) want him to play for Port Adelaide Magpies which
contravenes the agreement of player advantage
c) Anger that the Magpies have been at the bottom for too long, and we the
Power want to change that, again contravening the agreement by crossing
the boundaries of Magpies/Power outside of administration.

Last edited by Go Legs on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling adjustment)
Go Legs
Go Legs

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:53 pm

"A career choice"? I'll believe that if he doesn't start his Uni course half way through the year.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:04 pm

These issues mentioned were the very reason that the proposed merger of the Magpies and the Power was knocked on the head by the sanfl originally, before being granted 12 mths later.

I am hoping that the new incumbents,- coaches ,ceo,football management and President etc at the PAFC may initially have been unaware of the fine print in the license agreement with the SANFL. So perhaps they can be excused for that....?

I believe the SANFL should perhaps reinforce the message that there should be no murkiness in the relationship between the magpies and the Power, for the benefit of the magpies.

Im really hope this whole affair is a furfy and perhaps a misunderstanding...or on the other hand is it the PAFC showing the contempt they have held for the sanfl and its member clubs for so many years?
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Bundy Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:39 pm

Send the magpies back to Ethelton.
Bundy
Bundy

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:06 pm

So you dont want us to be a burden on the SANFL, but you dont want us to dig ourselves out of the hole we are in* on our own?

*One way of doing so is to once again become strong on the field, bringing in memberships, sponsors, crowds, money.

Hmmmpph.I'm at a loss.

Comments like yours, Bundy, simply add nothing.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2