BloodnTars
Mongrel Punter
bayman
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SANFL Grand Final Umpires 2012 Empty SANFL Grand Final Umpires 2012

Post by bayman Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:24 pm

my mail is that Tony Dey, Michael Avon & Curtis Deboy will be the umpires in charge of the game...good luck to all 3 & please let the game go & don't play soft or tiggy touchwood free kicks
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

SANFL Grand Final Umpires 2012 Empty Re: SANFL Grand Final Umpires 2012

Post by Mongrel Punter Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:39 pm

bayman wrote:my mail is that Tony Dey, Michael Avon & Curtis Deboy will be the umpires in charge of the game...good luck to all 3 & please let the game go & don't play soft or tiggy touchwood free kicks

bayman - surely your mail was from someone with a red nose and he was carrying a book entitled "1001 Jokes"? If this is true, then the final act of the Greek Tragedy/French Farce (depending on where you are looking from) that is the SANFL for 2012 will be played out.

From the beginning of the year, where the umpires' supervisor admits that a team got 3 frees and goals from bad decisions and wins by 15 points, through to to IRP and Tribunal with their mysteriously inconsistent decisions, along to a game where no team scores in a quarter for the first time in 80 years, combined with more than one player reported for umpire abuse, to a decision to play finals at the open cut mine of AAMI stadium, to a final where the alleged second best team scores 2-5, and another final where 75 frees are paid.

He messed up Sunday's game with soft frees, and was involved in the "free spree" the week before, which some might say was slightly over-umpired.

I may just go to the GF - I could do with a good laugh to end the year.
Mongrel Punter
Mongrel Punter

My club : north

Back to top Go down

Post by BloodnTars Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:58 pm

bayman wrote:my mail is that Tony Dey, Michael Avon & Curtis Deboy will be the umpires in charge of the game...good luck to all 3 & please let the game go & don't play soft or tiggy touchwood free kicks

I have heard Leigh Haussen instead of Tony Dey will be umpiring Sunday. Really hope that is the case as I'm sick of Tony Dey ruining games.
BloodnTars
BloodnTars

Teams : West Adelaide, Adelaide Crows, Gepps Cross
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Mongrel Punter Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:06 pm

Haussen wasn't too flash on Sunday either. I can't find anyone but Dey, Avon and Bowen capable or competent enough. There is NO ONE else!
Mongrel Punter
Mongrel Punter

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:50 pm

Mongrel Punter wrote:

bayman - surely your mail was from someone with a red nose and he was carrying a book entitled "1001 Jokes"? If this is true, then the final act of the Greek Tragedy/French Farce (depending on where you are looking from) that is the SANFL for 2012 will be played out.

From the beginning of the year, where the umpires' supervisor admits that a team got 3 frees and goals from bad decisions and wins by 15 points, through to to IRP and Tribunal with their mysteriously inconsistent decisions, along to a game where no team scores in a quarter for the first time in 80 years, combined with more than one player reported for umpire abuse, to a decision to play finals at the open cut mine of AAMI stadium, to a final where the alleged second best team scores 2-5, and another final where 75 frees are paid.

He messed up Sunday's game with soft frees, and was involved in the "free spree" the week before, which some might say was slightly over-umpired.

I may just go to the GF - I could do with a good laugh to end the year.

i'll have an iced coffee with you that Curtis Deboy is one of the three, his name was the one i heard clearly as my ears pricked up in shock......i'll give him credit though as he is improving with experience
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:25 am

The umpires have been announced...

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/1893/

SANFL wrote:
2012 GRAND FINAL UMPIRES ANNOUNCED

The SANFL wishes to congratulate the umpires selected for this Sunday’s SANFL ‘be active’ Grand Final.

Of the group, field umpire Curtis Deboy, goal umpire Rory Smith and boundary umpires Stephen Jelfs and Matthew Fallon will each make their League Grand Final debut.

All umpires are critiqued throughout the year, with the top in their field participating in finals and the best performers from the Finals Series selected to umpire the Grand Final.

FIELD:
Michael Avon
Curtis Deboy
Leigh Haussen
Corey Bowen (emergency)

BOUNDARY:
Sean Burton
Tim Bryant
Stephen Jelfs
Matthew Fallon

GOAL:
Rory Smith
Matthew Cummins
Peter Challen (emergency)

Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by BloodnTars Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:18 am

I think they have got it right. They have been the best 3 all year. Deboy really struggled when he first came into the league a few years ago but he seems to have improved out of sight and deserves the grand final.
BloodnTars
BloodnTars

Teams : West Adelaide, Adelaide Crows, Gepps Cross

Back to top Go down

Post by Mongrel Punter Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:38 pm

I hope you are right BnT, but my hobby horse all year has been the sub-standard umpiring we have had to endure, where decisions both made and not made have had an impact on results. Too many scores have been the result of soft frees in front of goal, or conversely obvious ones ignored. I have watched several games on TV as a neutral, including one at Alberton between Port & South, where I viewed some poor decisions and ludicrous reports, and wrote a post on here at length. In my view, a good proportion of the poor umpiring was attributed to two of the GF umpires. However, I trust that the supporters of both teams, and the coaches, come away from the game on Sunday satisfied that the outcome was not decided by some poor decision making by the umpires.
Mongrel Punter
Mongrel Punter

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:02 pm

Doesn't bother me, I wouldn't know one upmire from the next. Hope they have a good game.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:04 pm

oh well as meatloaf once sang '2 out of 3 ain't bad'

mp, you owe me an iced coffee Very Happy

as i said my ears pricked up when i heard Curtis' name, the only way to get experience is to give them games (same with players)

good luck to all of them & to the players from both teams
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by bayman Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:07 pm

waddayamean wrote:Who cares who the umpires are as long as they are not noticed.

that is a most intelligent comment, because as you say if they're not noticed that means they've umpired well

i reckon their families & friends would care & be proud though Wink
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:15 pm

I agree Mongrel, the standard of umpiring is appalling. Your heart is in your mouth every time a defender tackles someone or spoils someone within range of the goals. It affects the standard of the game and I don't understand why it doesn't seem to be an issue in the corridors of power.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:29 pm

was a very good & entertaining interview on 5AN this morning with Curtis Deboy (the name Deboy is of German descendant)....if anyone knows how to put a podcast link on please do as i think you'll find it interesting & entertaining, he spoke very well, came through the Central Districts competitions & onto the Ammo's etc
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mongrel Punter Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:11 pm

As did many umpires who come through ranks at junior football at league clubs - may be the nicest person in the world - can't umpire - has no feel for the game
Mongrel Punter
Mongrel Punter

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:16 pm

Disagree, MP, I think he is a talented umpire on the up...

Wouldn't have got the GF if he wasn't...
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:22 am

waddayamean wrote:Is there a footy game on this week ? The game is not about the umpires. Yes we need umpires we get that. I don't go to watch umpires . Good for them but seriously who gives a toss.

Football is the game,not umpires. Quite laughable those who "rate" umpires.
Rolling Eyes
Heaven forbid we should give some recognition to the people that play an important part of the game...
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Harpo Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:44 am

Big Phil wrote:
waddayamean wrote:Is there a footy game on this week ? The game is not about the umpires. Yes we need umpires we get that. I don't go to watch umpires . Good for them but seriously who gives a toss.

Football is the game,not umpires. Quite laughable those who "rate" umpires.
Rolling Eyes
Heaven forbid we should give some recognition to the people that play an important part of the game...

In some games umpires can and will make a differance in others they make no differance
Harpo
Harpo

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:38 pm

I understood your post fine.

What I don't understand is that if you don't give a toss about the umpires, why bother posting in here in the first place.

Rightfully so, the umpires who will officiate in the Grand Final have been given due recognition in a thread that you see as an opportunity to post rubbish about them.

Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:52 pm

As entertaining as it is between W and BP, let's all keep in mind the site's requirement that we stick to the issues, not the poster.

No-ones at fault, just a friendly reminder Smile
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eartotheground Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:36 pm

A few people around the SANFL watching with interest that a media identity is getting involved in this sort of thing.
eartotheground
eartotheground

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum