Carman Interview

3 posters

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Carman Interview Empty Re: Carman Interview

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:45 pm

There was no mention of his time at Norwood (except a brief comment from Phil) which needed to be highlighted to paint the entire picture. The treatment he received having to stand out of football for 2 years, and the way Collingwood stuffed him around, would have certainly added to his frustration. I have never understood why Carman elected to play for Collingwood, maybe he needed to be cleared back to them first.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Yes, he was comparing a Wally Miller run Norwood with a Collingwood which was a bit of a basket case in the mid 70s. My comments were to understand Carman better, it would have been handy to inform viewers of the roller coaster ride he took in the 5 years period before joining the VFL.

It's interesting that the only coaches to have any control over Carman was his school teacher Robert Oatey, and Bob Hammond for one season. It's mind blowing to think coaches like Tom Hafey couldn't do anything with him.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:59 am

In case some aren't familiar with the Phil Carman at Norwood story, here it is:

Phil Carman was recruited by the Norwood Football Club from Edenhope in 1969. He and his family were educated at Kings College (now Pembroke) all paid for by the Norwood FC, and his mother was offered employment by the Norwood FC as house mother at Carmel Court, a house owned by Norwood and occupied by young country recruits.

Norwood applied through the NFC for a clearance from Collingwood (he was residentially bound) and as Collingwood never responded within the given time frame, Carman was granted a clearance to Norwood. His first game was a best on ground performance at CHB where he beat no less than 7 different opponents including Russell Ebert. In his third game he lined up on Barrie Robran and equitted himself so well he was selected in the state squad.

After 10 sensational games, even Collingwood sat up and began to take notice. They decided Carman was their player and his clearance was revoked. He stood out of football for 2 years as he owed a great debt to the Norwood FC.

Collingwood were rather silly because, had they allowed him to play for a couple of seasons with Norwood, they may have had him as a player as early as 1972 or 1973, rather than 1975. In his time out he attempted to play soccer as a goalkeeper and injured a knee that needed a reconstruction. Upon hearing the news, Collingwood, out of the goodness of their heart, decided to clear him back to Norwood to save them the medical expenses.

When he came back mid-1972, it was as though he'd never been out of the game with some brilliant performances, except there was a difference. Carman was suddenly getting involved in incidents, an indication he was a frustrated footballer.

The moment he started playing well, Collingwood again became interested. Why he ever returned to Collingwood after all they put him through is a mystery. I would have liked Sheehan to ask that precise question but he didn't know enough about his subject to pose the question.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:38 am

Thanks, AH, that's really interesting.

Those who watched him knew immediately he was something different and a super talent.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down