Chris Davies Interview Part 2 - with Chris Kendall from "Sportsbeat"

3 posters

Go down

Chris Davies Interview Part 2 - with Chris Kendall from "Sportsbeat" Empty Chris Davies Interview Part 2 - with Chris Kendall from "Sportsbeat"

Post by Admin Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:32 am

The second part of the exclusive Sportsbeat Interview with SANFL General Manager, Chris Davies:

DRIVING THE SANFL FORWARD – PART TWO

SANFL General Manager Chris Davies has faced the discussion about whether the two local AFL clubs should have reserves teams in the SANFL, but rightly points out there are other issues that need to be sorted out before any other decisions are made.

“The position on what is done with both club’s AFL licences must be formalised, before we can consider any proposal for any further club entries into any level of our league. Until this is done, anything out there is purely speculation. There is considerable discussion in the media and among fans about this issue, which is an emotive one, but there is still a long way to go before any decisions can be reached”

What, however, if the SANFL received an expression of interest from a club completely external to the system about joining the league as a tenth club? “First things first – we need all existing clubs to be fully viable first before we even consider bringing in another club. All clubs need to look at their current business models, and whether they are sustainable in being able to take them through to the future, and give them the best opportunity to continue to stand alone. As a league, we are aware of the financial positions of our clubs and the league is committed to assisting the clubs as much as possible, but ultimately, they need to adapt and move also.”

As we move toward new technological eras and changes in coverage options for sport, the SANFL also faces many challenges in ensuring the current levels of publicity are maintained and continually improved. The television contract with ABC-TV to telecast one game per week was renegotiated at the start of 2013, on a yearly basis, and as Davies notes, “we are committed to negotiating with ABC for the coverage to continue beyond 2013, provided mutually agreeable outcomes can be reached. As a league, we need to ensure, however, that the game is as accessible to as many fans as possible, particularly those based remotely. We are trialling new technology all the time, including live streaming of games over the internet, to ensure that, if the SANFL and ABC were not able to reach an agreement for future years, we were able to present the product to as wide an audience as possible”

One area of concern that has arisen in the AFL recently is that of gambling on matches. The cases of match day officials and players, among others, highlight the possibility of insider information being used for profit, with a level of advantage not accessible to the general public. The SANFL has now adopted a very similar anti-gambling policy now to that of the AFL, with coaches, players, match day officials and umpires banned from placing bets on SANFL matches. With all of the publicity recently with drug issues in the AFL, Davies remains confident the SANFL is covering all bases at this level. “All clubs are regularly educated, through Anti Doping Codes seminars and have full access to all policies, regarding their responsibilities to fully adhere to the Anti Doping Code. Additionally, random testing occurs at SANFL matches of players to further minimise any ongoing risk in this area”.

With three clubs fined in the last six months for breaching salary cap regulations, there has been speculation as to whether the regulations are too complex for clubs to understand and whether there needs to be any rewriting of the rules to minimise the chance of further breaches. “We maintain ongoing dialogue with the clubs about the salary cap, in terms of an expectation they will report any issues as soon as they arise, as well as having ongoing education sessions with the responsible parties for the cap at each club. There are ample opportunities for clubs to clarify any issues long before they arise, and that should minimise the likelihood of further breaches”.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Chris Davies Interview Part 2 - with Chris Kendall from "Sportsbeat" Empty Re: Chris Davies Interview Part 2 - with Chris Kendall from "Sportsbeat"

Post by bayman Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:03 pm

One area of concern that has arisen in the AFL recently is that of gambling on matches. The cases of match day officials and players, among others, highlight the possibility of insider information being used for profit, with a level of advantage not accessible to the general public. The SANFL has now adopted a very similar anti-gambling policy now to that of the AFL, with coaches, players, match day officials and umpires banned from placing bets on SANFL matches. With all of the publicity recently with drug issues in the AFL, Davies remains confident the SANFL is covering all bases at this level. “All clubs are regularly educated, through Anti Doping Codes seminars and have full access to all policies, regarding their responsibilities to fully adhere to the Anti Doping Code. Additionally, random testing occurs at SANFL matches of players to further minimise any ongoing risk in this area”.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i find as with the AFL about this gambling with rules & regulations etc, yet AFL & AFL clubs have them as sponsors & the SANFL umpires have them as sponsors as well, yet it is perceived by some as 'dirty money' i wonder how many SANFL players know this because i know a few of them bet on footy, the ones i know don't bet on their own matches but do bet on others & with that in mind will the SANFL do a 'deal' with all corporate bookies to ascertain whether players are betting now.................................................................mind you if a family member, partner etc put a bet on no one would know whose bet it is

ps,after reading both parts of the interview i don't like what i read between the lines
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Chris Davies Interview Part 2 - with Chris Kendall from "Sportsbeat" Empty Re: Chris Davies Interview Part 2 - with Chris Kendall from "Sportsbeat"

Post by The Emperor Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:28 pm

i love how they want to ban people involved in the sport from betting, it wont happen
The Emperor
The Emperor

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down