Leaping Lindner
howthewestwaswon
C.K
Lee
Scrappy
14 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

SA Football the early years 1843-1899 - Page 5 Empty Re: SA Football the early years 1843-1899

Post by bayman Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm

unless it is a different Clem Hill, Clem Hill was also involved in racing in some form whether that was as a steward, clerk of the course or whatever i'm not sure but that name was definately involved in an official capacity
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

SA Football the early years 1843-1899 - Page 5 Empty Re: SA Football the early years 1843-1899

Post by robranisgod Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:14 pm

bayman wrote:unless it is a different Clem Hill, Clem Hill was also involved in racing in some form whether that was as a steward, clerk of the course or whatever i'm not sure but that name was definately involved in an official capacity

Clem Hill was handicapper for the SAJC and then moved to Melbourne to be handicapper for the VATC.

I have read that his father John Hill scored the first century on Adelaide Oval.

His nephew, Wyndham Hill Smith was a first class cricketer in WA and was the long time chairman of the Port Adelaide Racing Club. Sorry to go off topic, but Wyndham Hill Smith would be spinning in his grave if he knew what had happened to Cheltenham racecourse.

Last edited by robranisgod on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:07 pm

I just have to say, this is an amazing thread.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:31 pm

Ernie Jones

Represented the South Adelaide, North Adelaide and Port Adelaide football clubs in the SAFA association
Played for Australia, South Australia and Western Australia as a cricketer
A superb fast bowler, excellent footballer , a character , controversy followed him, and with the despair of his personal life , makes Jonah one of the most riveting sportsman Ive read, heard and learnt about
It might take me a week to post the great mans exploits, but will try and condense the subject matter

Test Career
Batting
126 runs
5.04 average
Bowling
64 wickets
29.01 average

First Class career
Batting
2390 runs
13.13 average
Bowling
641 wickets
22.83 average

Where do I start....

It just so happens I worked with one of Ernie Jones offspring
And Ive heard some yarns about Jonah as he was called
The offspring was a very capable Claxton Shield Baseballer , Jonah was also a Baseball player in his early life at Broken Hill

Season of 1893/94
There were 3 teams in the comp, South Australia, Victoria and New south Wales
The season was of 6 games
After 5 games
South Australia and New south Wales were on 2 wins each
South Australia needed a win to secure the Shield, otherwise ????
????Otherwise being that a tie breaker of the teams was needed if finishing on equal wins ????
The last game of the season was :

South Australia v Victoria
Adelaide Oval
I will mention the SAFA footballers who participated

316 South Australia
Giffen 29
Reedman 113
Darling 87
Jones B Trott 0

Victoria 222
Jones 1/51[16]
Giffen 4/76[27]
Reedman 0/13[5]

South Australia 276
Giffen 89
Reedman 27
Darling 24
Jones C + b Mcleod 0

South Australia had a lead of 370, after being a comfortable 3/244 at one stage but collapsed and the last 7 wkts for 32, so could have had a more significant lead
The Victorians got off to a great start 0/93 in the last dig needing only a further 278 for victory

Victoria got to 3/230 and the result still in the balance
Enter Jonah, who at this stage was having an awful game
A pair with the bat , 1/51, and about 0/50 + with the ball in the 2nd innings
But then ....
Jonah took 5 wickets through the middle order and early tail

Victoria all out 312
Jones 5/73 [23]
Giffen 2/101 [36.4]
Reedman 0/3 [5]

The last wicket was
RW Mcleod c Jones B Giffen 70
This is one of the most important dismissals off all time
It meant South Australia won the Sheffield Shield for the first time

And what a dismissal
George Giffen was the first player to score a goal for Norwood in 1878
And now takes the wicket that clinched the states first Sheffield Shield in 1894
Ernie Jones who made a habit of firsts in his sporting career takes the catch that won the Shield
Jonah was known as one of the greatest mid off or mid on fieldsman ever

This is what George Giffen had to say about Jonah
This is an extract from Giffens Book With Bat and Ball [a book released in 1898]

* Adelaide crowds as a rule are very quiet and one does not hear one tithe of the barracking which is indulged in in Melbourne or Sydney, but the appearance of Jones with the bat was always a signal for a chorus of yells in which the one word distinguishable was 'Jonah'
When he lashed out and his wicket fell for 'nowt' as it did twice in this game, the good humoured commiseration he received was most amusing
No harm was intended by the crowd, as a matter of fact Jones was, and still is one of their idols.*

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:01 pm

This is another classic game that Jonah competed in 1894/95 season
The SAFA footballers contributions listed

Victoria v South Australia
MCG Timeless Match
348 Victoria
Jones 5/71[23.1]
Giffen 5/147[47]
South Australia 118
Reedman 3
Giffen 15
Darling 6
Clem Hill 33
Alby Green 11*
Jones 15

South Australia [ Following on]
9/245
Giffen 9
Darling 45
Reedman 8
Hill 1
Green 0
Jarvis 14 *
Jones 9*
South Australia lead by 15 runs , but cant win
And then ...

Jonah was having a very good allround game
And then this following extract

* F Jarvis had batted capitally for 14 not out and Jones had shaped well for nine
The latter had a rent in his shirt, and the ball got in there and stopped
Jones, forgetting the rule, touched the ball with his hand and [wicket keeper] Lewis straightaway appealed
The Umpire Fisher had, of course, to give the batsman out, but Harry Trott regretted that an appeal was made.*

Thus Ernie Jones becomes the 'first' Sheffield Shield batsman to be dismissed Handled the ball !!!
Classic !
In 1899 the rule was changed, and deemed in future as being a dead ball if lodging in a batters clothing

Jones wanted to hand the ball to Lewis
Giffen wrote that the spectators were amused

This game was also Norwoods Alby Greens debut Sheffield Shield game
Alby Green in 1898 became the first SANFL Magarey Medalist
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:47 pm

Scrappy wrote:Ernie Jones

Victoria got to 3/230 and the result still in the balance
Enter Jonah, who at this stage was having an awful game
A pair with the bat , 1/51, and about 0/50 + with the ball in the 2nd innings
But then ....
Jonah took 5 wickets through the middle order and early tail

Victoria all out 312
Jones 5/73 [23]
Giffen 2/101 [36.4]
Reedman 0/3 [5]

The last wicket was
RW Mcleod c Jones B Giffen 70
This is one of the most important dismissals off all time
It meant South Australia won the Sheffield Shield for the first time

And what a dismissal
George Giffen was the first player to score a goal for Norwood in 1878
And now takes the wicket that clinched the states first Sheffield Shield in 1894
Ernie Jones who made a habit of firsts in his sporting career takes the catch that won the Shield
Jonah was known as one of the greatest mid off or mid on fieldsman ever

And Ernie Jones was North Adelaide's first premiership captain in 1900

robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:49 pm

Scrappy wrote:

The Umpire Fisher had, of course, to give the batsman out, but Harry Trott regretted that an appeal was made.*

Harry Trott who captained Australia was the great grandfather of Stuart Trott, the long time St Kilda and Hawthorn wingman. I am sure Scrappy being a Saint and Adelaide Hawk would remember Stuart Trott well.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:25 am

Australia v England
January 1898
MCG 2nd Test

Australia
Darling 36
Hill 58
Jones 7*

England 315
Jones 2/54[22]

England 150 [follow on enforced]
Jones did not bowl

Another Jones 'first' in this match
Jones was the 'first' Test cricketer in history called for throwing[chucking these days]
Technology was mooted as a way to clear Jones of the throwing stigma
Jonah agreed to be filmed by cinematograph to prove his innocence
Despite all good intentions, a camera could not be found though
But a camera was available to film the 1896 Melbourne Cup !

Umpire Jim Phillips was the umpire that called Jonah
Phillips, a former Victorian cricketer, had a reputation for calling several bowlers in his time , and traveled between Australia and England to umpire in Test matches, making him probably the first ever International Umpire in cricket

The other umpire officiating in this Test Match was Charles Bannerman
Bet you cant get it better than Bannerman as a 'first'
Bannerman played in the first Test played between Australia and England at the MCG in 1877
Australia 245 +104 beat England 196 + 108 by 45 runs
Bannerman faced the first ball in Test cricket
Alfred Shaw bowled the first ball [As mentioned previously Shaw was the joint manager of the English Rugby team that toured Australia and played football games in Adelaide]
Not only did Bannerman face the first nut, but he made an incredible 165 and thus becoming the first centurion in Test matches

Jonah was also called previously for throwing by Jim Phillips in a tour game South Australia V England in 1897/1898

Jonah also created another first in South Australian Football
The first North Adelaide premiership captain [1900] to play for another club the year after , playing for Port Adelaide in 1901 ...
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:46 am

Scrappy wrote:Jonah also created another first in South Australian Football
The first North Adelaide premiership captain [1900] to play for another club the year after , playing for Port Adelaide in 1901 ...

But tell me Scrappy why did Jonah only spend the one year at North. Very strange especially when you consider that he captained the team to the flag.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:45 am

robranisgod wrote:
Scrappy wrote:

Harry Trott who captained Australia was the great grandfather of Stuart Trott, the long time St Kilda and Hawthorn wingman. I am sure Scrappy being a Saint and Adelaide Hawk would remember Stuart Trott well.

Stuart Trott had a 'verse'atile Great Uncle Albert
Albert Trott is Harry Trotts brother
Uncle Albert Trott was a globe'trott'er
Great Uncle Albert played for both England and Australia in Test cricket

Australia
5 innings
205 runs
102.50 average

England
4 innings
16 runs
5.75 average

As we can see Albert Trott did the right thing when batting !!!
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:01 pm

robranisgod wrote:

But tell me Scrappy why did Jonah only spend the one year at North. Very strange especially when you consider that he captained the team to the flag.

North to Port
This is not known exactly why
I do know that during the cricket season of 1900-1901 Ernie was injured , and his wife was having health problems
At about this time Jonah shifted to a seaside residence for weeks or months, possibly to assist the recuperation of his wife ?
This is purely speculative, but maybe , just maybe, with the Electorate zone rules that was implemented fully by 1899, that Jonah may have been residentially bound to the seaside club of the time ?
The seaside zone at the time might have been Port Adelaide ?

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:10 pm

Scrappy wrote:
robranisgod wrote:
Scrappy wrote:

Stuart Trott had a 'verse'atile Great Uncle Albert
Albert Trott is Harry Trotts brother
Uncle Albert Trott was a globe'trott'er
Great Uncle Albert played for both England and Australia in Test cricket

Australia
5 innings
205 runs
102.50 average

England
4 innings
16 runs
5.75 average

As we can see Albert Trott did the right thing when batting !!!

And Albert Trott remains the only batsman to ever hit a ball over the Lords pavilion.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:28 pm

Charles Poole 1877

There was a fair bit of angst against violence in this new game of football
Some members of the press, the public , had voiced or written their concerns over rough play
Some spectators were unruly , and in general not everyone enjoyed the game , some wanted the game to be sanctioned

Charles Poole was a player who played in the opening season of 1877
Poole played for the Bankers Football, Club
Poole was injured in a game of football , and weeks later died

For the promoters of SAFA football this was a blow, and no doubt there was a certain amount of bad publicity about Charles Pooles death

The SAFA/SANFL has been a competition now for 135 years
Charles Pooles death was not instantaneous , but is a death from a direct result of an injury sustained playing the game
So it can be construed that Charles Poole died playing Football

Has there been any other players in the SAFA, SANFL who have died on a football field, or as a result of a football injury sustained whilst playing ?

12/5/1877
I found an article in the Trove press on a Adelaide V Bankers game of 12/5/1877
This is a part description of playing performances, Adelaide players listed first
* J Acraman, Twopenny, Butterworth, Canaway, D Scott, Bleechmore, and the three Youngs doing Trojan service for them, while Colton, Colville, Cossins, Poole and Fox, who is a plucky and very promising young player, worked hard for the Bankers.*

Charles Poole is mentioned as playing well on 12/5
From what I understand this is the game prior to the fateful game he played one week later
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:17 pm

Scrappy wrote:So it can be construed that Charles Poole died playing Football

A North Adelaide player of the early 1920s went over to Western Australia and died I think as a result of an injury in a game. My knowledge of the facts are very vague, but I think he had the nickname of "Boy"
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:53 pm

Also Scrappy, Ron Doig, who was captain coach of South Fremantle died in the early 1930s of injuries sustained in a first semi final against East Perth. As well as being a first cousin of the famous George Doig, Ron Doig had also played 3 first class cricket games for Western Australia.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Leaping Lindner Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:35 am

Scrappy wrote:Charles Poole 1877

There was a fair bit of angst against violence in this new game of football
Some members of the press, the public , had voiced or written their concerns over rough play
Some spectators were unruly , and in general not everyone enjoyed the game , some wanted the game to be sanctioned

Charles Poole was a player who played in the opening season of 1877
Poole played for the Bankers Football, Club
Poole was injured in a game of football , and weeks later died

For the promoters of SAFA football this was a blow, and no doubt there was a certain amount of bad publicity about Charles Pooles death

The SAFA/SANFL has been a competition now for 135 years
Charles Pooles death was not instantaneous , but is a death from a direct result of an injury sustained playing the game
So it can be construed that Charles Poole died playing Football

Has there been any other players in the SAFA, SANFL who have died on a football field, or as a result of a football injury sustained whilst playing ?

12/5/1877
I found an article in the Trove press on a Adelaide V Bankers game of 12/5/1877
This is a part description of playing performances, Adelaide players listed first
* J Acraman, Twopenny, Butterworth, Canaway, D Scott, Bleechmore, and the three Youngs doing Trojan service for them, while Colton, Colville, Cossins, Poole and Fox, who is a plucky and very promising young player, worked hard for the Bankers.*

Charles Poole is mentioned as playing well on 12/5
From what I understand this is the game prior to the fateful game he played one week later

Can't quite remember the exact details but a West player (I think early last century) sustained an injured elbow in a game and died later from blood poisoning as a direct result of the injury.
Leaping Lindner
Leaping Lindner

My club : north

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:38 pm

robranisgod wrote:

Its a bit far fetched, but heres a story that might have semblance to Jones transferring to Port Adelaide

As discussed by season 1900, players had to play for the team that they were residentially zoned in
So by 1900 a lot of players ended up at other clubs , not always by desire, but by regulation
This zoning regulation also applied to Cricketers as well ?
So Jonah who was playing for Australia and South Australia would end up playing for North Adelaide in the form of District cricket of the times

There was a game that Jonah was involved in between North Adelaide and Port Adelaide in March 1901
Alberton Oval
Day 1
Port batted first and made 9/160
Jones 1 wicket

Day 2
Port 163
North 9/128

Port won the game
This is a report in the press about Jones

* North Adelaide can thank Jones for spoiling their chance of the Premiership this year.
Owing to the absence of the fast bowler, the Ports were able to convert into a victory that would have otherwise been a draw, seeing that only two and a half minutes remained before call of time when the ninth wicket fell.
Had Jones only been at the Alberton Oval, the North Adelaides would have been tieing for top place, but he apparently preferred to watch the bicycle sports.
His club mates are justly annoyed.*

Jones was subsequently dropped for the last game of the year
Could this cricket fiasco be a reason or a motivation to transfer to Port Adelaide ?
Its a long shot hunch
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:28 pm

Electorate System
This zoning regulation on the brink of the 20th century , ends up being a major upheaval in South Australian Football

Here is an article written about it

22/4/1899
* The compulsory electorate system of football was to have come into force this year, but South Adelaide and Port Adelaide clubs intimated that unless present players were exempted they will not go on, and the 3 weaker teams asked at the last meeting for time to consult their clubs in regard to it
North Adelaide, West Torrens and West Adelaide delegates stated that they would not give way, but the matter now seems to be plainly that if Electorate football is compulsory the two big twenties will drop out, and the other clubs will have to go off the Adelaide Oval.
The position is serious.
The junior teams-I use the term for the sake of distinction-say their only chance of success is to have the compulsory plan, but it would be of no use to introduce it if it reduces the other clubs to their level, instead of building the weaker ones up to the equality with the others.
The Souths are willing to agree to it if the Association takes over their debt, but they do object to having all their best men taken away and an old liability cast upon what will be practically a new twenty.
The Blue and Whites under the new arrangement will be left with six of their old players and a gain of two new ones*

This article shows that the Electorate System could have major ramifications upon the South Adelaide Football Club
South did win the 1899 Premiership to make it 8 flags in the 23 years of the nineteenth century
History shows that South from 1900 has struggled and only won three titles in the next 111 seasons
South Adelaide won 6 Premierships in the 1890s, and were obviously a great team
Can they partially blame this Electorate System for their woes of the next century ?

The teams in the comp in 1899 were
North Adelaide
Norwood
Port Adelaide
South Adelaide
West Adelaide
West Torrens
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:22 am

What have the following 5 players got in common ?

C Barnes
E Jones
P Keckwick
E Mckenzie
J Reedman

I can think of at least 3
But there is one specific answer Im looking for
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:03 am

robranisgod wrote:
Scrappy wrote:So it can be construed that Charles Poole died playing Football

A North Adelaide player of the early 1920s went over to Western Australia and died I think as a result of an injury in a game. My knowledge of the facts are very vague, but I think he had the nickname of "Boy"

The ex North player who died as a result of injuries sustained in a WA League Match was Edward "Boy" Morris. He played 97 games for North in the 1920s before venturing West where he died on 20th August 1932 at the age of 28
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:01 pm

Scrappy wrote:What have the following 5 players got in common ?

C Barnes
E Jones
P Keckwick
E Mckenzie
J Reedman

All 5 players were playing for South Adelaide
All 5 players transferred to other clubs due to the Electorate Football clause

The answer I was looking for was this :
They all captained another club after leaving South Adelaide
Jones and Reedman captained North Adelaide
Barnes Norwood
Mckenzie West Torrens
Keckwick Sturt

South Adelaide lost a staggering 7 players to North Adelaide , but still won the 1899 Premiership

That North Adelaide won the 1900 Premiership , beating South Adelaide, does not surprise me
North 4-3 beat South 1-8
Jonah was the North Captain
Reedman the Vice Captain

Its been reported that the Electorate System evened up the Comp
The big 3 of the time was Norwood, South Adelaide and to a lesser extent Port Adelaide
It appears they were drawing upon the cream of the available talent
Something needed to be done to entice new teams into the comp
West Torrens and West Adelaide joined in the late 19th century
Sturt in the very early 20th century

When North Adelaide supporters look back they should acknowledge the efforts of Charles Nitschke
Nitschke, a North Adelaide secretary, was an instigator of the electorate system mooted in 1897, and fully operational by 1899
His efforts were rewarded with North Adelaide winning the 1900 Premiership
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:42 pm

Scrappy wrote:

C Barnes
E Jones
P Keckwick
E Mckenzie
J Reedman

Barnes Norwood
Mckenzie West Torrens
Keckwick Sturt

South Adelaide lost a staggering 7 players to North Adelaide , but still won the 1899 Premiership

That North Adelaide won the 1900 Premiership , beating South Adelaide, does not surprise me
North 4-3 beat South 1-8
Reedman the Vice Captain

The big 3 of the time was Norwood, South Adelaide and to a lesser extent Port Adelaide

When North Adelaide supporters look back they should acknowledge the efforts of Charles Nitschke
Nitschke, a North Adelaide secretary, was an instigator of the electorate system mooted in 1897, and fully operational by 1899

I wish you were on the SANFL Hall of Fame, Scrappy. North tried for years to have Charles Nitschke elected to the Hall of Fame, but to no avail. As another aside, his son HC (Slinger) Nitschke played two test matches for Australia and was a very prominent race horse owner. His most famous horse would have been Dayana winner of four derbies in 1972-73. He also owned an Adelaide Cup winner, Far Away Places which won the Adelaide Cup in the early 1960s.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:08 pm

Grounds used in the 1800s

North Adelaide
1883-1884 Kensington
1895-1898 Adelaide
1899-1899 Jubilee

Norwood
1878-1881 East Parklands
1882-1897 Kensington
1898-1899 Jubilee

Port Adelaide
1877-1879 Glanville Park
1880-1899 Alberton

South Adelaide
1887-1881 South Parklands
1882-1899 Adelaide Oval

West Adelaide
1887-1887 Kensington[ this was the first team named West Adelaide]
1897-1897 Kensington [this is the second team named West Adelaide]
1898-1899 Jubilee

West Torrens
1897-1899 Jubilee

A few clubs used the Jubilee oval
Jubilee Oval was up and about in the mid 1890s ?

It was used for some Finals Football in 1904
Norwood won the Grand Final played in 1904
At 3/4 time Port led
8-10 Port
3-5 Norwood
Norwood made a great comeback to win this game
8-10 Port
9-8 Norwood
That cricketer Phil Newland was the Norwood skipper that day and was adjudged Best on Ground on a match report of that game

It was used prior to 1925 for some of the Adelaide Royal Shows
Jubilee was a small oval, this being a possible reason why it ceased to be used as a Football venue
The Oval was near the Adelaide Zoo

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:52 pm

robranisgod wrote:
Scrappy wrote:

C Barnes
E Jones
P Keckwick
E Mckenzie
J Reedman

Barnes Norwood
Mckenzie West Torrens
Keckwick Sturt

North 4-3 beat South 1-8
Reedman the Vice Captain

I wish you were on the SANFL Hall of Fame, Scrappy. North tried for years to have Charles Nitschke elected to the Hall of Fame, but to no avail. As another aside, his son HC (Slinger) Nitschke played two test matches for Australia and was a very prominent race horse owner. His most famous horse would have been Dayana winner of four derbies in 1972-73. He also owned an Adelaide Cup winner, Far Away Places which won the Adelaide Cup in the early 1960s.

Yes I remember Dayana being a magnificent stayer in the 1970s , was a favorite horse of mine
And I learn something everyday, that Slinger is in fact Charles Nitschkes son

Slinger played in 2 Test Matches against South Africa
Made 6 on debut when , he came in at number 6 , with the score 4/292
He was involved in a 24 run partnership before being dismissed, the guy he batted with could bat !
So Slinger batted his whole debut innings with that superstar Sir Donald Bradman
Slinger made 47 in the second test
They were the only 2 times he batted in Test matches
Made over 3,000 runs for South Australia at a creditable average of 42.02

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:42 pm

Sturt Football Club

First season in the SAFA was 1901
They were propped up by players from other clubs [ I assume the Electorate System the reason]
This was the run down of players from other clubs that played for Sturt in 1901
6 South Adelaide
4 Norwood
1 West Torrens
1 Port Adelaide

Peter Kekwick from South Adelaide was the first Captain of Sturt

One again it appears the South Adelaide Football Club was raped

Just for the record
Sturt lost its first game against Norwood
In its second match it beat Jonahs new mob , Port Adelaide at Alberton
Heres a brief description arising from that game
* After Sturt defeated Port at Alberton, in the next match, small boys pelted Sturt Players with mud on the way to the Alberton Station.*

Heres an interesting press report
23/3/1893
Unley Football Club
* The above newly formed club held a meeting on Tuesday , March 23, 1893
The attendance was large and the club promises to be a great success
The club will play home matches on the Unley Oval, which is about 200 yards from the tramline
Several well known athletes will be in the team.
The following gentlemen were elected to the committee : Messrs G Clayton, A Bath, A Ball, and J Coombes
The captain and vice captain are yet to be elected
The club hopes to join the Adelaide and Suburban Association, in colors of red yellow and black.*

The article suggested a possible link of the Unley Football Club with the Sturt Football Club
I can not confirm or denounce this possible link

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next