Changing clubs and playing in a premiership side

+2
robranisgod
spell_check
6 posters

Go down

Changing clubs and playing in a premiership side Empty Changing clubs and playing in a premiership side

Post by spell_check Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:35 pm

It's better I do the full list of what I currently have in here:

Ernie Jones North 1900 South *
John Reedman North 1900 South *
John Reedman North 1902 South *
Anthony Daly North 1902 South* Torrens
John Reedman North 1905 South *
Anthony Daly North 1905 South* Torrens
Garsham Barnes Norwood 1901 South *
Garsham Barnes Norwood 1904 South *
Garsham Barnes Norwood 1907 South *
David Crawford North 1920 Norwood
Thomas Leahy North 1920 West *
Leslie Bryant Norwood 1922 West
Victor Cave Sturt 1926 Norwood
Sydney Ween Port 1928 Torrens
Glen Hale Glenelg 1934 West *
John Boyle South 1938 Glenelg
Bob McLean Port 1939 Norwood
Bob McLean P.A/W.T 1942 Norwood
Kevin Hardiman Norwood 1941 South *
William Allen Norwood 1941 Sturt
William Isaac Nor/N.A 1943 Torrens West South
William Isaac Nor/N.A 1944 Torrens West South
Foster Williams Port 1951 West*
Foster Williams Port 1954 West*
Foster Williams Port 1955 West*
Foster Williams Port 1956 West*
Foster Williams Port 1957 West*
Foster Williams Port 1958 West*
William Thomas North 1960 Port
Neil Kerley South 1964 West*
Robert Shearman Sturt 1966 Torrens
Robert Shearman Sturt 1967 Torrens
Robert Shearman Sturt 1968 Torrens
Robert Shearman Sturt 1969 Torrens
Robert Shearman Sturt 1970 Torrens
Peter Yeo Sturt 1970 Port
Peter Anderson Glenelg 1973 North*
Robert Oatey Sturt 1974 Norwood
Rodney Pope Norwood 1975 West
Greg Nicholson Norwood 1975 West
Nigel Wark Sturt 1976 Norwood
John Spry Port 1977 North*
Wayne Phillis Norwood 1978 Glenelg*
Terry Von Bertouch Norwood 1978 North*
Michael Nunan Norwood 1978 Sturt*
Greg Nicholson Norwood 1978 West
Milan Faletic Port 1979 Torrens
Mark Williams Port 1979 West
Milan Faletic Port 1980 Torrens
Mark Williams Port 1980 West
Bruce Winter Norwood 1982 Sturt*
Neville Roberts Norwood 1982 Torrens
Frank Stemper Norwood 1982 Woodville
Peter Meuret West 1983 Woodville
Bruce Winter Norwood 1984 Sturt*
Neville Roberts Norwood 1984 Torrens
Allan Stringer Glenelg 1985 North
Wayne Stringer Glenelg 1985 North
Allan Stringer Glenelg 1986 North
Wayne Stringer Glenelg 1986 North
Darel Hart North 1987 Central
Michael Armfield North 1987 Glenelg
Wayne Slattery North 1987 South
Kim Klomp North 1987 Sturt
Steven Sims North 1987 Torrens
John Roberts North 1987 Woodville Torrens
Phil Harrison Port 1988 North
Phil Harrison Port 1989 North
Mark Williams Port 1990 West
Darel Hart North 1991 Central
Kim Klomp North 1991 Sturt
Steven Sims North 1991 Torrens
Peter Krieg North 1991 Central
Steven Barratt North 1991 Torrens
Bradley Ryan North 1991 West
Mark Williams Port 1992 West
Simon Neave Eagles 1993 Norwood
Laurence Schache Eagles 1993 Sturt
Phil McGuinness Port 1996 Glenelg
Jim West Norwood 1997 Glenelg
Andrew Jarman Norwood 1997 North*
Aaron Keating Norwood 1997 South
Damian Obst Norwood 1997 Sturt
Phil McGuinness Port 1999 Glenelg
Mark Conway Sturt 2002 Central
Brodie Atkinson Sturt 2002 North*
Damian Squire Sturt 2002 North
Matthew Powell Sturt 2002 South
Adam Grocke Eagles 2006 North
Matthew Cooper Eagles 2006 Sturt*
Brad Dabrowski Eagles 2006 West
Charles Slattery Central 2007 West
Kyle Jenner Central 2010 Port
James Boyd Central 2010 South
Adam Grocke Eagles 2011 North
Aaron Day Eagles 2011 Glenelg
Craig Parry Eagles 2011 Port South
Ben Grieger Eagles 2011 West
Scott Lewis Eagles 2011 West Glenelg

*Had played in a premiership for that club
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Changing clubs and playing in a premiership side Empty Re: Changing clubs and playing in a premiership side

Post by spell_check Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:37 pm

The premiership sides with the most players to have played at another club prior are Norths 1987 and 1991 sides with six players.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Changing clubs and playing in a premiership side Empty Re: Changing clubs and playing in a premiership side

Post by robranisgod Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:32 am

Allan White who played in the South premmiership in 1964 had previously played for North
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:51 am

robranisgod wrote:Allan White who played in the South premmiership in 1964 had previously played for North

Good to see you here robranisgod.

Ian Day from West Adelaide to South Adelaide, 1964
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:58 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:
robranisgod wrote:Allan White who played in the South premmiership in 1964 had previously played for North

Good to see you here robranisgod.

Ian Day from West Adelaide to South Adelaide, 1964

Thanks for that Adelaide Hawk. It's refrreshing to find a board where you can discuss the wonderful history of the SANFL in a sensible way and have queries answered.

It had never occurred to me until now that South's last pair of premiership rovers were both from other clubs.

I guess the same can be said for North's last pair of premiership rovers, Hart and Sims.

And as a further aside Norwood's 1978 premiership rovers, Nunan and von Bertouch were from other clubs as well.

Also did the MacKenzie brothers, Tom who played in North's 1949 premiership and Hubert who played in 1952 orignally come from Torrens?
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:29 pm

Ernie Jones is an interesting name at the top of the list , he and Jack Reedman being the first players to switch clubs and win a Premiership in 1900. Ernie Jones was also a great fast bowler for Australia, and also , I believe, has another first, he was the first Australian fast bowler to have been called for chucking in a Test Match.
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:42 pm

Scrappy wrote:Ernie Jones is an interesting name at the top of the list , he and Jack Reedman being the first players to switch clubs and win a Premiership in 1900. Ernie Jones was also a great fast bowler for Australia, and also , I believe, has another first, he was the first Australian fast bowler to have been called for chucking in a Test Match.

That's quite correct. For anyone who saw the Bodyline miniseries in the 1980s, Ernie Jones was portrayed as being the aging man who rowed his boat out to greet the ship in which the English players had sailed to Australia and hurled abuse at them. Whether it happened or not is debatable, but he clearly was a very colourful character.

As another aside, Jack Reedman played a test match for Australia as well. There is a drinking fountain dedicated to Jack Reedman in the Creswell Gardens on the eastern side of Adelaide Oval.

Last edited by robranisgod on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:32 pm

Thanks for that info, RiG.

I think Reedman also coached West to its 1908 premiership.

Interesting character and it wuld be worth learning a bit more about him.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:01 pm

John Reedman
His nickname was Dinny or Dinnie
Captained South for 11 years
Captained 5 premierships with South 1892,1893,1895,1896,1898
Joined North in 1899
Captained North from 1901-1905, was captain in the 1902 Premiership

A description of John
A fine tactician, and powerful ruckman. His duels as a member of the North Adelaide team with his brother Sid, who continued with South Adelaide, were worth going a long way to witness. A fine athlete and sportsman, he represented his state in both Football and Cricket

Interesting to note that players were involved in a compulsory zoning clause in about 1899
That meant , if this is right, John Reedman had to leave South to play for North

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:27 pm

John Reedman played 1 Test match for Australia at the SCG against England
Ernie Jones played in this match as well
This match was an incredible game
Played in December 1894

586 Australia
Reedman 17
Jones 11 not out
Giffen 161

325 England
Jones 1/44
Reedman 1/12
Giffen 4/75

437 England , followed on
Jones 1/57
Reedman 0/12
Giffen 4/164

166 Australia
Reedman 4
Jones 1
Giffen 41

England won by 10 runs
On one of the rare occasions, a side following on ended up winning the match

George Giffen who also played in that Test, was a Norwood Footballer in that era
He had an outstanding match

Last edited by Scrappy on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:33 pm

They should have named a grandstand after him for that effort Wink
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:02 pm

redandblack wrote:They should have named a grandstand after him for that effort Wink

Yes it was a monumental effort by Giffen
Giffen, I believe , scored the first ever goal kicked for Norwood
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:07 pm

The Bodyline mini series in 1982 sensationalised Bodyline, but in their effort to make it exciting for television, bent to truth to the degree it was seriously flawed. Not a lot of attention to detail, and I laughed when I spotted a Yamaha piano (Australia didn't commence trading with Japan until 1957).

Ernie Jones was a character, Folklore has it he sent a sizzling bouncer through Dr.W.G.Grace's beard and said, "Sorry Doc, it slipped". When asked his opinion of how fast Harold Larwood was, he replied, "Him, fast? He wouldn't knock a dint in a pound of butter on a hot day".

However, the character portrayed in the mini series appears to be a combination of Ernie Jones and Stephen Harold Gascoigne, alias "Yabba".

Last edited by Adelaide Hawk on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:07 pm

Scrappy wrote:
redandblack wrote:They should have named a grandstand after him for that effort Wink

Yes it was a monumental effort by Giffen
Giffen, I believe , scored the first ever goal kicked for Norwood

Correct.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:09 pm

"Yabba".

"Leave our flies alone, Jardine, they're the only friends you've got" Smile
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:14 pm

redandblack wrote:"Yabba".

"Leave our flies alone, Jardine, they're the only friends you've got" Smile

Apparently Jardine told his family that was the rare time he was amused by Australian crowds.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:00 pm

Scrappy wrote:John Reedman
His nickname was Dinny or Dinnie
Captained South for 11 years
Captained 5 premierships with South 1892,1893,1895,1896,1898
Joined North in 1899
Captained North from 1901-1905, was captain in the 1902 Premiership

A description of John
A fine tactician, and powerful ruckman. His duels as a member of the North Adelaide team with his brother Sid, who continued with South Adelaide, were worth going a long way to witness. A fine athlete and sportsman, he represented his state in both Football and Cricket

Interesting to note that players were involved in a compulsory zoning clause in about 1899
That meant , if this is right, John Reedman had to leave South to play for North

Wikipedia had this about John Reedman
Captain of North Adelaide 1901-1905 , 1907-1909
Coached West Adelaide 1908

Does not make sense on where Jack was in 1908 ?

This might be a sequence of Jacks career from what I gather ?
1906 played at West Adelaide
1907 back to North Adelaide
1908 coached West Adelaide
1909 played at North Adelaide

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:12 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:Ernie Jones was a character, Folklore has it he sent a sizzling bouncer through Dr.W.G.Grace's beard and said, "Sorry Doc, it slipped". When asked his opinion of how fast Harold Larwood was, he replied, "Him, fast? He wouldn't knock a dint in a pound of butter on a hot day".

Another story, maybe apocryphal about Ernie is that when asked by the Prince of Wales whether he went to St Peter's College, he replied yes I still go there regularly. I drive the night cart there.

In his only year at North Adelaide, 1900, he captained North to its first premiership. I have been intrigued by two things from those days that alas I don't think we will ever find out and that is why was Jones made captain given that Dinny Reedman had previously captained South to five premierships and secondly why did he leave North and move to Port immediately after captaining North to the premiership? I reckon he will remain the only person to captain a premiership in his only season with the club.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Leaping Lindner Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:18 pm

robranisgod wrote:
Adelaide Hawk wrote:Ernie Jones was a character, Folklore has it he sent a sizzling bouncer through Dr.W.G.Grace's beard and said, "Sorry Doc, it slipped". When asked his opinion of how fast Harold Larwood was, he replied, "Him, fast? He wouldn't knock a dint in a pound of butter on a hot day".

Another story, maybe apocryphal about Ernie is that when asked by the Prince of Wales whether he went to St Peter's College, he replied yes I still go there regularly. I drive the night cart there.

In his only year at North Adelaide, 1900, he captained North to its first premiership. I have been intrigued by two things from those days that alas I don't think we will ever find out and that is why was Jones made captain given that Dinny Reedman had previously captained South to five premierships and secondly why did he leave North and move to Port immediately after captaining North to the premiership? I reckon he will remain the only person to captain a premiership in his only season with the club.

Pretty sure that was a zoning issue, but IIRC he was "vague" about his place of residence and it caused some fighting between the two clubs. Also from memory he only played a handful of games with Port.

What's weirder about the Reedman captaincy is he was announced as Captain in the pre season of 1900 then when it was announced that Jones was joining the club Jones was made captain. It may have been a condition of him joining the club but that's just speculation.
Leaping Lindner
Leaping Lindner

My club : north

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:52 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:
robranisgod wrote:

Pretty sure that was a zoning issue, but IIRC he was "vague" about his place of residence and it caused some fighting between the two clubs. Also from memory he only played a handful of games with Port.

What's weirder about the Reedman captaincy is he was announced as Captain in the pre season of 1900 then when it was announced that Jones was joining the club Jones was made captain. It may have been a condition of him joining the club but that's just speculation.

Thanks for that LL, I thought that if anyone could shed any light on the Reedman, Jones situation it would be you.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Leaping Lindner Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:12 pm

Tom Mackenzie North 1905 (from Torrens)
Leaping Lindner
Leaping Lindner

My club : north

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:32 pm

South Adelaide was the powerhouse team of the 1890s winning 6 flags in that decade
The Electorate System that started in 1899 certainly played a part in Souths poor performances in the 20th century
It took South 36 seasons before their next flag in 1935
That South did win the 1899 flag was an achievement after losing out to the new zoning Electorate
I dont know about the other clubs, but South appeared to be hardest hit with the zoning

In 1899 South Adelaide lost a plethora of players
7 players lost to North [but how many South to North I dont know at this stage]
An astonishing 5 South players ended up captaining other clubs
Ernie Jones [North]
Jack Reedman [North]
C Barnes [Norwood]
E Mckenzie [West Torrens]
P Kekwick [Sturt]

This is a startling correlation to the 1990s decade
Port Adelaide won 7 Premierships in this decade, a 'power'full force
The Afl entity born in 1997 coincided with Port Adelaides demise into the next century,

So 2 great teams of the 1890s+ 1990s , through somewhat external factors, had been greatly affected
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down