FULL TIME @ NOARLUNGA

Final Scores:

West - 12.9 = 81

South - 5.13 = 43

Bloods win by 38 points

GOAL KICKERS:

West - A.Fielke 4, B.Fisher 3, M.Still, F.Caruso 2, J.Beech 1

South - P.Rolfe, A.Ainger, N.Daniel, N.Liddle, L.Carey 1

STATS: (courtesy of Champion Data) - http://sanfl.championdata.com/matches/17170102/kmh_summary.html
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

South v West review Empty Re: South v West review

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:01 pm

Did West Adelaide kicked the last 11 goals for the match?
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:07 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:Did West Adelaide kicked the last 11 goals for the match?

The Bloods did indeed kick the last 11 goals of the game AH, it was 11.5 to 0.7 and after half time Westies kicked 10.5 to the Panthers 0.2
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by ca Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:11 pm

Is be interested to hear if West stepped it up in the second half or if South took the foot of the pedal.
ca
ca

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:46 pm

ca wrote:Is be interested to hear if West stepped it up in the second half or if South took the foot of the pedal.

why would you 'take the foot off the pedal' in a REAL GAME ?

i didn't go as i was winning at globe derby (got the quaddie Laughing Laughing ) but well done to Westies

Glenelg v West next week looms as a great match
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:00 pm

Just got in.

One of the most pitiful and pathetic performance by south that I have seen in a long time.

If they play like that again its going to be a bloody long year!!

Well done westies ... When the chips were down you guys never gave in.

Still shellshocked ATM !!!

Need to take a breath and come back to the thread ...I'm not a happy man!!
Southee
Southee

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Bundy Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:56 am

This report is from what i put together From listening to 5RPH

I found it fascinating that the club would trial coaches as early as round 1.The coach in the first half seem to have NFI.He had no game plan players first thoughts were to look sideways handpass so someone under pressure who in turn fumbled and gave away undisciplined free kicks.This coach should not be allowed to remain in the race for such an important position at Westies and should be sent packing ASAP.The coach of the second half seem to have done a hell of a lot better,told his players to kick straight down the guts to a one on one play and it worked.The game plan was simple and it's not so hard to implement this coach should be given praise as he had to undo all the bad work the other coach had done.To the people in charge at the club PLEASE let the first coach go and employ the second i beg you on behalf of all Bloods Members and Supporters.

Last edited by Bundy on Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Bundy
Bundy

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:20 am

Sounds like you had Bassett in charge in the first half, then someone booted him out Smile
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:30 am

The phrase "a game of two halves" is one of the more overused ones in football but little else describes what transpired at Noarlunga last night.

South Adelaide's first half was fluent, exciting and utilised most of their strengths to their best. Their pace was far too much for the Bloods, as they ran in waves to create space and move forward to Andrew Ainger (the main forward in the absence of late withdrawal Michael Wundke), who took an early mark of the year contender with a towering grab in the first quarter. Toby Stribling, Joel Cross and Nick Liddle carried straight on from their 2011 form with their ability to win the ball at stoppages and bring the clearance, and West look shell shocked and unable to get even close before the long break. Missing inspirational skipper Ryan Ferguson, a late absence due to the birth of his first child, the defence seemed to lack structure and too often, West were forced into turnovers.

Their penchant for handball under little pressure, coupled with missing targets constantly by foot in space, gifted the Panthers plenty of scoring opportunities. Too often, West would move forward and inexplicably, handball sideways to teammates under pressure and the turnover would immediately result with South players in space on the counterattack. Many fans were expecting a roast from coach Andrew Collins at quarter time, but his calm and measured message about keeping the focus and holding firm to the game plan still did not seem to hold sway with his charges.

The teams that emerged in the second half - to borrow another hackneyed phrase - seemed to have swapped jumpers. West's ball movement was a lot more fluent, hitting targets, using their run and carry to break down a South defence that suddenly appeared hesitant and fumbly under pressure. Former Essendon forward Michael Still, benefitting from a late call up due to the Ferguson withdrawal, brought the ground to its feet with one of the best marks seen at Noarlunga for some years, and the conversion was part of a spark that had West running in waves. Ryan Willits was climbing all over Keegan Brooksby and fellow Panther Daniel Bass in ruck and the on-ball division were reaping the rewards. Nat Caruso, missing for a large portion of 2011 with a shocking leg injury, came into the game along with brother Fortunato, while Shane Birss and Daniel Caire also starting winning possession at will to move it quickly to the dangerous Aaron Fielke, who finished with four goals.

Booting the last 11 goals of the game, the Bloods were completely over a very disappointing South in the second half. Too many Panthers looked to be coasting on the first half and could not apply the accelerator when necessary. Ainger was well held in attack in the second half and no South crumbers seemed able to step up where necessary. A couple of emerging talents at Noarlunga also went right back into their shells and looked unwilling to get their hands dirty at the stoppages, gifting West uncontested possession.

One notable thing about the match throughout, however, was the great spirit among both groups of fans. An enthusiastic crowd were right into the game throughout, especially at the huddles where both coaches brought their players right to the edge of the square, where the security staff were kept on alert - as nobody had brought the usual rope to restrict access to the centre square.

One of the most amazing turnarounds I've seen in a minor round game for some years at SANFL, and one where the umpires would have a nightmare with the Magarey Medal votes, such was the difference between the teams after half time. Quite what happened in both rooms at that break will be the subject of conjecture for some time, but it was encouraging to see West finally throw off the shackles that seem to have dogged them for some years and play attacking, direct football in the second half. That said, they still overuse handball terribly. A penchant for running forward, and then handballing to a stationary target on the 50 facing them, is very costly. The receiver then has to turn around and was often met with South defenders last night.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by lachlan Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:48 am

A Great win by the bloods. Very rarely have they comne from behind to win a game in the past 4 years.

The pleasing thing was the players went much more direct in the second half & played on at all costs.
They took risks & were prepared to kick to a contest where new recruit Michael Still was very powerful with a strong pair of hands.
He had shown very little in the practise matches however it shows if you move the ball and kick long you give your forwards a 50/50 chance to win the contest.
Daniel Caire was great in defence & I thought Willits was good in the ruck
lachlan
lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:15 am

Great write-up, CK, sums it up beautifully.

So what made the game change? South were just so good in the first half, lightning quick at times, looking so much more passionate and with much cleaner skills. West looked like a parklands team, kicking blindly under pressure more often than not. South's runners, Liddle, Cross, Stribling, Daniels, etc were destroying the Bloods and the only thing that kept West in the game was that South's kicking for goal wasn't efficient.

The last ten minutes before half-time saw West get a bit more possession, under a bit less pressure and they managed the last goal before half-time. Most at the game were surprised that there was less than 4 goals in it at at the break.

Obviously Andrew Collins made some key changes at half-time. It wasn't so much positional change, but tactical changes which had the effect of giving West plenty of ball at the clearances, an area in which they'd been dominated up to half-time. With Willits' ruck domination now being translated into possession for West's runners and the fresh zest of South's runners now confronting a tougher contest, South had nothing new to offer and West sensed the change of momentum.

An inside-50 count of 9 to 29 in the first half was reversed and the ball stayed in West's forward area constantly, with a few abortive forays into the other end of the ground. They were repulsed and normal proceedings were resumed in West's forward 50.

Michael Still, first-game recruit off Essendon's list, was a revelation, with 10 marks on a difficult night for forwards. He kicked 2 goals, including one of the best marks ever seen at Noarlunga and gave the Bloods a reliable target. This allowed Brad Fisher to show his class with three goals and the under-rated Aaron Fielke added 4.

If we're talking under-rated players, then Daniel Caire must be near the top of that list. B & F winner in 2010, runner-up in 2011 and B.O.G last night, he stood up all night, including the first half.

Some notes on South, from a West man who wasn't able to take a lot of notice of them. Liddle is a gun, their on-ballers are excellent, but they will need their best team on the park. Wundke and Thewliss were missed. After watching some of the Reserves trial, I don't think it will be long before a couple of taller standouts in that team will be playing league.

I'm not that keen on the ground announcer's contribution, but I understand why he's there, but I have to say the idea of fireworks after a South goal was worth trying.

From a West point of view, it went from despair to elation, of course. The record at Noarlunga now stands at 7 in a row and there's some momentum going into next Saturday night's first game under lights at Glenelg.

Can't wait. Footy's back.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by mypaspectiv Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:48 pm

After some indifferent pre-season trial form, the BLOODS turned it on when the chips were down to end up emphatic winners at Noarlunga Saturday night.

A few observations: 1: I hate Saturday night games (Friday nights are much better for the supporters and surely the players) 2: West have shown that their best is outstanding but will have to be more consistent against the top sides 3: You can't read too much into trials (as the coach said they are ony practise games) 4: The absolute surprise packet for me was the game Michael Still played. He marked strongly (10 marks), kicked important goals when needed (one beaut checkside from the impossible SW pocket after an absolute hanger of a mark and the other a long distance bomb from 50M out) both rippers. 5: Joel Tippett was great, in particular in the first half when West were under seige. He showed some real poise and class together with Daniel Caire to keep us in the game. Although some people are saying that South should have put us away in the first half it was the pressure by these two in particular that caused some of South's missed chances. 6: The game actually started to turn 10 minutes before half time, it is not easy to kick 11 goals straight without reply against any side, in particular on their paddock.

GO THE BLOODS!!! Four games straight under lights, we love it.
mypaspectiv
mypaspectiv

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:15 pm

Not getting overly excited by a good result to start the year as IMO we must prove that we can:
1. Win a game during the day time with a red football. Night footy seems to be our thing at the moment. Well, what is the difference other than the colour of the ball? Nothing should be the answer.
2. Win all of our home games and make Richmond Oval a tough place to play indeed.
3. With a bit of luck, stay injury free.

Always pleased with a good win away from home.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:32 pm

YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU BLOOOOOOOOOODSSSSSSSSS.
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by mr o Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:27 pm

direct attacking football after half time, instead of going sideways and backwards was what i herd after listering to 5rph last night. go you bloods
mr o
mr o

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:29 pm

Surely Still for Mark of the Year
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:51 pm

Thiele wrote:Surely Still for Mark of the Year

Still 20 odd rounds to go and the likes of Michael Newton from Norwood will give it a shake, no doubt.
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:04 pm

Our trial game form has been almost exactly replicated in our first game. We played 6 quarters of rubbish and 6 of good footy in the trials, we played 2 of each against South. Most pundits looking at West's prospects for this year asked which West would we get, and we got both in the first game. So I'm no closer to knowing how we're going to go this year, but I think it's going to be tight, so every win is to be celebrated.
But lachlan makes a good point, we've rarely come from behind to win over the last few years, so that's a good sign.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:09 am

Big Phil wrote:

Still 20 odd rounds to go and the likes of Michael Newton from Norwood will give it a shake, no doubt.

Very true, BP, but those who were there think it will be very, very hard to beat
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:16 am

redandblack wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

Very true, BP, but those who were there think it will be very, very hard to beat

Absolutely agreed, this one will be very hard to top - and bear in mind, Ainger's in the first term was also one out of the box.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:57 pm

Michael Still's mark.

Pause it once or twice for best appreciation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO9QzgdEVpA&feature=youtu.be

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:48 pm

I like the awareness to flick it up with his boot into his hands
oldfella
oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by mypaspectiv Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:16 pm

For some reason I can't seem to be able to open the link re Still's mark. Can u help.
mypaspectiv
mypaspectiv

Back to top Go down

Post by mypaspectiv Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:21 pm

Sorry, forget it, it opened this time
mypaspectiv
mypaspectiv

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content