Post by Lee Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:01 pm

Wednesday, 30 November 2016

SANFL Women’s Statewide Super League teams announced

The inaugural season of the SANFL Women’s League
competition, which kicks off early next year,
will be named the ‘Statewide Super Women’s League’
and will feature four teams following a month-long
selection process.

The four clubs selected to be part of the inaugural women’s league are; Glenelg, North Adelaide, Norwood and West Adelaide.

Late last month all eight SANFL clubs were invited to submit an expression of interest of which six committed to take part in the new elite competition that compliments the AFL Women’s League and provides South Australian women with a critical talent pathway.

SANFL General Manager of Football Adam Kelly said the uptake from clubs to be part of the new level of competition has been truly positive.

“We congratulate the four clubs on their selection as we push forward with preparations to kick off the competition early next year but also thank all eight SANFL clubs for their continued commitment in developing the State’s female talent,” Mr Kelly said.

Another new partnership which was formed earlier in the year has also advanced quickly with Statewide Super announced as the naming rights sponsor of the new women’s league.

Statewide Super CEO Richard Nunn congratulates SANFL and the four clubs selected for the
inaugural year of the SANFL women’s League.

“These are exciting times for women’s sport and we’re thrilled to play a role through the
Statewide Super Women’s League. The opportunities that are opening up for women in sport
are exciting and definitely not before time. We are committed to helping them to participate,
excel and hopefully, build a pathway to participate in their chosen sport at a professional level.”

“Thanks also to all of the clubs who nominated. The level of interest is a really positive
indication of the future possibilities for Aussie rules football for women in South Australia.

“Sport, in particular local footy, has always been one of the primary ways we connect as a community in South Australia. As a South Australian industry super fund we’re delighted to be able to support the growth of these connections. We’ve recently committed to a three-year relationship with SANFL across a range of footy platforms – including broadcast, community volunteers and the mini league - so we’re really pleased that now we can also offer our support to South Australian women.”

Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Women's League Empty Re: Women's League

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:35 am

What will the women's league do to the current women's comp that I think is run by the amateur league. Not 100% sure about that. I have recollection that there only about 4 teams in that comp.

But Morphettville Park seems like a strong club who provided a number of players to the AFL women's league.

I couldn't see that there is enough in the pool of women players to maintain both comps.

Anyone know more?

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:47 am

The SANFL comp only runs for 6 games between 4 teams in March and the 1st week of April, so it's separate from the SAWFL normal competition.

I'm not sure about the playing rosters for the SANFL comp; perhaps a 'draft', perhaps just on zones?

Morphettville Park are very strong in the SAWFL and have a number of State players .

Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down