Your favourite - Best Ever Players at Glenelg?

+10
Booney
Chambo Off To Work We Go
lachlan
Flag No.10
UncleHuey
Scrunch
coza
Big Phil
Lee
Ben W
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Your favourite - Best Ever Players at Glenelg?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Your favourite - Best Ever Players at Glenelg?

Post by UncleHuey Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:53 pm

Booney wrote:
Scrunch wrote:In my time, Id consider Kernahan the finest player the Bay's have produced, although those other names were great players too.

Can't go past Scott Salisbury as my favourite Glenelg player. As tough as they come.

Another I liked albeit he didn't play a lot of senior footy there was Andrew Mackay.

Scott Salisbury was anything but tough. Gutless sniper.

If we are talking gutless snipers then David Granger owns that category. Salisbury would never win an award with "and fairest" as one of the conditions but he was hard at the ball and the player with it. Much like McIntosh
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Your favourite - Best Ever Players at Glenelg?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Your favourite - Best Ever Players at Glenelg?

Post by Booney Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:07 pm

UncleHuey wrote:
Booney wrote:
Scrunch wrote:In my time, Id consider Kernahan the finest player the Bay's have produced, although those other names were great players too.

Can't go past Scott Salisbury as my favourite Glenelg player. As tough as they come.

Another I liked albeit he didn't play a lot of senior footy there was Andrew Mackay.

Scott Salisbury was anything but tough. Gutless sniper.

If we are talking gutless snipers then David Granger owns that category. Salisbury would never win an award with "and fairest" as one of the conditions but he was hard at the ball and the player with it. Much like McIntosh

We're not discussing Port Adelaide, nor David Granger, we're discussing Glenelg footballers.

It's quite laughable how any opinion I or others have on a topic very quickly gets turned against the club that person supports, even when completely irrelevant.

Salisbury was a sniper, nothing more, nothing less.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:33 pm

Booney wrote:

Salisbury was a sniper, nothing more, nothing less.

I think being an All-Australian makes you a bit more than a sniper.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:00 pm

i think it funny when Salisburys' name along with the Stringer brothers come up, because we as Glenelg supporters were told we couldn't win finals because our players weren't hard, weren't prepared to cross the line & were happy to be pretty footballers playing pretty football, then these guys come in & Glenelg (in general) were called animals, thugs etc so how can you win ? i'll admit i've seen Glenelg players do stupid things by going too far, but i've seen that from players from every club, some clubs more than others but every club............i'm sure if these same players played today they'd adapt to what is required & what is not acceptable...............

a footnote regarding football (1970's-1980's), in my opinion a thug is better than a sniper, at least the thug will eyeball you
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Post by lachlan Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:46 pm

Scott Salsbury was as hard and tough as they come.
He was NOT a sniper.
lachlan
lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by lachlan Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:53 pm

I don't think we need to post anything about David Granger.
The less said about him the better.
lachlan
lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:45 pm

bayman wrote:
Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:
bayman wrote:i can't believe no one has mentioned Peter Marker......i can still hear the noise in my head when his ankle/achilles' or whatever it was snapped, was like a gun going off

My post page 1 my friend.

thanks mate, sadly i double check and missed it

Can't say I heard it (the achilles), but I do recall it happening.

Just an aside, he gave up a burgeoning media career at 7 to return to his law practice.
I have a recollection that he even did the main news and not just sport. Anybody recall whether this is so?
And we haven't heard from him since. Although was on 5AA in a "where are they now interview" about 5 years ago.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:23 am

saw him at the family court a few years ago when i was going through the turmoil that is the family court
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:25 am

bayman wrote:i think it funny when Salisburys' name along with the Stringer brothers come up, because we as Glenelg supporters were told we couldn't win finals because our players weren't hard, weren't prepared to cross the line & were happy to be pretty footballers playing pretty football, then these guys come in & Glenelg (in general) were called animals, thugs etc so how can you win ? i'll admit i've seen Glenelg players do stupid things by going too far, but i've seen that from players from every club, some clubs more than others but every club............i'm sure if these same players played today they'd adapt to what is required & what is not acceptable...............

a footnote regarding football (1970's-1980's), in my opinion a thug is better than a sniper, at least the thug will eyeball you

There's a big difference between being hard and being a thug/sniper.

That was the Bays problem there for a while, you have blokes like Symonds and Gibbs running away from shadows and Salisbury and Allan Stringer ( Wayne wasn't the same mould as Allan ) belting blokes.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:43 pm

Booney wrote:
bayman wrote:i think it funny when Salisburys' name along with the Stringer brothers come up, because we as Glenelg supporters were told we couldn't win finals because our players weren't hard, weren't prepared to cross the line & were happy to be pretty footballers playing pretty football, then these guys come in & Glenelg (in general) were called animals, thugs etc so how can you win ? i'll admit i've seen Glenelg players do stupid things by going too far, but i've seen that from players from every club, some clubs more than others but every club............i'm sure if these same players played today they'd adapt to what is required & what is not acceptable...............

There's a big difference between being hard and being a thug/sniper.

That was the Bays problem there for a while, you have blokes like Symonds and Gibbs running away from shadows and Salisbury and Allan Stringer ( Wayne wasn't the same mould as Allan ) belting blokes.

agreed, absolutely nothing wrong with being hard

the only difference between Alan & Wayne was Alan would do stupid things like step on Darel Harts' leg in a grand final, or punch well before or after the ball, Wayne would hit blokes but hit them in play

oh this will give you Mr Booney & probably others a laugh, a friend of mine from that era played for Glenelg & a day or so later after a Glenelg Port match at footy park, i asked him about the blew on the half forward right on the fence & he told me that he had Russel Johnston in a head lock & wasn't frightened of any player blindsiding him from from behind but there was this old lady waving her umbrella at the players abusing him & a few other bay players & he said he was a bit frightened not so much getting hit by her but getting poked in the eye & losing it
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:32 pm

Mark Hewett
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:13 pm

John Schneebichler , Gary Christie..
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2