Your favourite - Best Ever Players at Glenelg?

+10
Booney
Chambo Off To Work We Go
lachlan
Flag No.10
UncleHuey
Scrunch
coza
Big Phil
Lee
Ben W
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Your favourite - Best Ever Players at Glenelg?  Empty Your favourite - Best Ever Players at Glenelg?

Post by Ben W Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:29 pm

I found this list somewhat harder to put together than what I did on the CDFC thread. My main memories of Glenelg are of the 1980's so my list with perhaps the exception of Peter Carey is largely that era.

So here goes,

Peter Carey - Club Game record holder in the SANFL for most games, stalwart servant of the club, three time Premiership player.

Stephen 'Sticks' Kernahan - An awesome full forward and perhaps one of the players that wore the SANFL guernsey in the State of Origin with real pride and determination. Perhaps I do remember him more for his State of Origin days, but just a great footballer all round.

Tony Hall, I remember there being so much publicity about his return to SA to play for the Cows, He had played in Glenelg's premierships and was swooped on by the Hawks where he won another GF in 1991.

Chris McDermott He was a great player, yet also a player that was loyal to Glenelg at a time when so many of his team mates were being picked off to play in the VFL. He was in retrospect a pretty good choice for captain of the original AFC side.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Your favourite - Best Ever Players at Glenelg?  Empty Re: Your favourite - Best Ever Players at Glenelg?

Post by Lee Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:33 pm

Going back well before that, I always thought Ray Button was really exciting to watch.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Your favourite - Best Ever Players at Glenelg?  Empty Re: Your favourite - Best Ever Players at Glenelg?

Post by Big Phil Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:31 pm

Shane Tipuamantamerri, David Mitchell, Simon Hele, Roury Kirkby, Ty Allen, Brett Backwell, just to name a few...
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:00 pm

Of all the Bays players I have seen since about 1970 onwards, for longevity of service, impact to his club, success and loyalty, I think I can't go past Carey.

Probably one of the more unlikely Champions from an athletic point of view, but he had such a huge impact on the game.

There are others I would rate highly like Marker and perhaps McDermott and a few others, even Cornes, but Super was top of the tree for me.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:06 pm

for a start the All Australian line up of Carey, Cornes & Hodgeman from memory the photo at the club says 1979 but if it isn't that it'd be a year or two back from there.....might be my club but i think everyone would admit that it is an outstanding achievement
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by coza Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:56 pm

Well for me it comes down to the players I disliked at glenelg as there the ones who would win the games for glenelg when we played them lol
Kym hodgeman Steve kernahan Paul Weston super carey copping McGuinness g.cornes marker Marshall Gibbs fidge McDermott t.hall j.west Maynard all good players and some gun players in that lot two. I liked to watch kernahan play with his strong marking and David Marshall on the wing he had so much time and super Carey just put his body in the right spots. Gibbs was a little **** but was a cool dude lol
coza
coza

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:00 am

In my time, Id consider Kernahan the finest player the Bay's have produced, although those other names were great players too.

Can't go past Scott Salisbury as my favourite Glenelg player. As tough as they come.

Another I liked albeit he didn't play a lot of senior footy there was Andrew Mackay.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:16 am

bayman wrote:for a start the All Australian line up of Carey, Cornes & Hodgeman from memory the photo at the club says 1979 but if it isn't that it'd be a year or two back from there.....might be my club but i think everyone would admit that it is an outstanding achievement

And from the (almost) pre VFL era too.
Although when did Hodgeman venture across?
Cornes went in 1979 (I think) but came back after his spat with Barassi.

This gets me to thinking another good thread would be "Best Ruck combinations".
This one would be up there.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by lachlan Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:51 am

Keith Kulhmann.
lachlan
lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:42 pm

I'm with Lee on Ray Button, very dangerous and exciting half forward.
Tony Symonds is one of the smartest players I've seen.
McGuiness always stitched us up.
Wayne Phillis was the ideal CHB in his era.
But Carey would be my vote for best. West never had a ruckman, in all his 400 and whatever games, who could beat him.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:10 pm

Showing my age here. In no particular order - Carey, Cornes, Marker, Sticks, McGuiness, Hodgey, Tony Hall, McDermott.
A couple of my favourites were
Fred Phillis - gun full forward, then won state representation as a full back.
John Seebohm - under appreciated backman, rarely beaten.

Hard to split Carey and Kernahan.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:47 pm

Agree on Seebohm, very good player
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:45 pm

Scrunch wrote:In my time, Id consider Kernahan the finest player the Bay's have produced, although those other names were great players too.

Can't go past Scott Salisbury as my favourite Glenelg player. As tough as they come.

Another I liked albeit he didn't play a lot of senior footy there was Andrew Mackay.

Scott Salisbury was anything but tough. Gutless sniper.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:47 pm

Kernahan and there is no argument against him being the best ever Glenelg player. Might not have done the bulk of his best work for Glenelg, but he is the best they have produced by a mile.

Honorable - Cornes x3,McDermott.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:04 pm

Booney wrote:
Scrunch wrote:In my time, Id consider Kernahan the finest player the Bay's have produced, although those other names were great players too.

Sure he could pick a bloke off, but he could also take it when on the receiving end. Like McIntosh, they could both cross the line of fairness (actually most did back in those days), but they were also unwavering in their courage and commitment.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by bayman Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:40 pm

Scrunch wrote:Agree on Seebohm, very good player

great bloke too
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:46 pm

i can't believe no one has mentioned Peter Marker......i can still hear the noise in my head when his ankle/achilles' or whatever it was snapped, was like a gun going off
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:36 am

I can remember on one of the Sunday footy shows, Marker being unable to explain why he was suffering an unusually high number of head knocks, and being stunned when Fos Williams pointed out that because he never kicked on his left foot, opposition players knew he was always going onto his right side which made it easier to get to him.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:05 am

A bit before my time, but Rexy Voight must have been a pretty useful player
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:37 am

bayman wrote:i can't believe no one has mentioned Peter Marker......i can still hear the noise in my head when his ankle/achilles' or whatever it was snapped, was like a gun going off

My post page 1 my friend.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:39 am

Flag No.10 wrote:I can remember on one of the Sunday footy shows, Marker being unable to explain why he was suffering an unusually high number of head knocks, and being stunned when Fos Williams pointed out that because he never kicked on his left foot, opposition players knew he was always going onto his right side which made it easier to get to him.

Is that why so many players get head knocks these days?
Almost nobody has a left foot these days.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:07 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:
bayman wrote:i can't believe no one has mentioned Peter Marker......i can still hear the noise in my head when his ankle/achilles' or whatever it was snapped, was like a gun going off

My post page 1 my friend.

thanks mate, sadly i double check and missed it
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:15 pm

Scrunch wrote:A bit before my time, but Rexy Voight must have been a pretty useful player

Yeah he was. One of several from that era who started off as rovers and went to the back pocket as they slowed up a bit.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:20 pm

Booney wrote:

He may have been indiscreet at times but he was very hard at it.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum