real tennis ?

2 posters

Go down

real tennis ? Empty real tennis ?

Post by bayman Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:18 pm

i heard the end of a segment on the radio about real tennis................does anyone know what it is or is about ?
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

real tennis ? Empty Re: real tennis ?

Post by robranisgod Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:17 pm

bayman wrote:i heard the end of a segment on the radio about real tennis................does anyone know what it is or is about ?
It is an ancient game still played by the aristocacy in England primarily. There are Real, or Royal, tennis courts in Melbourne. It's played indoors and it is the forerunner of raraque sports like tennis and squash. The racquet is strung but it is only the size of a beach bat but the ball is like a corkie with a tennis ball cover.
Colin Cowdrey played real tennis.
The above is about the extent of my knowledge although I think that the scoring is based on the quadrants of the clock as indeed is modern tennis.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:56 pm

robranisgod wrote:
bayman wrote:i heard the end of a segment on the radio about real tennis................does anyone know what it is or is about ?
It is an ancient game still played by the aristocacy in England primarily. There are Real, or Royal, tennis courts in Melbourne. It's played indoors and it is the forerunner of raraque sports like tennis and squash. The racquet is strung but it is only the size of a beach bat but the ball is like a corkie with a tennis ball cover.
Colin Cowdrey played real tennis.
The above is about the extent of my knowledge although I think that the scoring is based on the quadrants of the clock as indeed is modern tennis.

thanks rig,
after reading your answer i googled (should have done that first) & came up with several links from wiki, i'll put the actual wiki up & the Melbourne one up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_tennis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Melbourne_Tennis_Club

had never ever heard of it before yesterday
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:06 pm

In 1974-75 the ABC had a weekly sports show and one episode featured Colin Cowdrey and Royal Tennis. The only other thing I remember is that the host may have been a fellow called Frank Mills.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:45 pm

you are amazing, i can't remember what happened last week let alone 1974-75 apart from my team running the inevitable second place
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:11 pm

bayman wrote:you are amazing, i can't remember what happened last week let alone 1974-75 apart from my team running the inevitable second place

I have been thinking a bit more about the show. It may have been called Sportsnight. I have a feeling Drew Morphett was involved in it. It was almost a documentary type of show. The only two segments I remember is the Royal (or real) tennis segment with Colin Cowdrey and another show featuring Frank Pyke, who was credited with the rehabilitation of Dennis Lillee after his chronic back injury. Pyke was the father of Don and James.

At least your side was very competitive, whereas after seeing my team generally being competitive from 1960 to 1973 and having won three flags in that period, I was just starting to experience the first of many barren years following my mob. Thus I was able to concentrate on less important things like Ashes cricket and Real Tennis.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down