R12 - Adelaide v Hawthorn & Port v Carlton

5 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

R12 - Adelaide v Hawthorn & Port v Carlton Empty R12 - Adelaide v Hawthorn & Port v Carlton

Post by Gingernuts Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:15 pm

Better get this thread going considering the game is on Thursday night!

Some massive signings for Adelaide in the last 2 days (will their be a 3rd??) in what is their 25th anniversary celebration 'week'.

The game should be an absolute belter and it will be packed to the rafters.

Post away....

Last edited by Gingernuts on Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

R12 - Adelaide v Hawthorn & Port v Carlton Empty Re: R12 - Adelaide v Hawthorn & Port v Carlton

Post by Booney Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:36 pm

Port play Carlton on Saturday mate.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

R12 - Adelaide v Hawthorn & Port v Carlton Empty Re: R12 - Adelaide v Hawthorn & Port v Carlton

Post by UncleHuey Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:55 pm

Booney wrote:Port play Carlton on Saturday mate.

So it is not quite as "bye-ish" as would be if Malthouse was still coaching. Very Happy

Port should win big and Adelaide will lose a close one.
A loss to Carlton would end Port's top 4 ambitions and even make finals a bit shaky without a form turnaround.
A win against the Hawks should indicate that Adelaide was finals bound.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:38 pm

Booney wrote:Port play Carlton on Saturday mate.

Oops! Sorry!

I don't know what made me think Port have the bye. I think they probably need the bye!
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:27 am

Feeling pretty pumped up for tonight's game - today is going to be a very long day at work!

I reckon it's going to be an absolute cracker. The 25th anniversary celebrations, the signings of Sloane & Douglas, and some fresh legs after the bye all have me really feeling like we can win this one.

With Douglas back in our side is looking pretty close to full strength again also. He will be a massive in this week and just adds to the depth of the midfield.

5 o'clock can damn well hurry up and get here!
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:58 pm

Kicks off tonight, Thursday night under lights with Adelaide v Hawthorn.

Promises to be a ripping contest this one, the question on the lips of all Adelaide fans, no, nothing to do with Patrick and his autograph, it’s about ball usage and again, nothing to do with gaining Patricks signature.

Can Adelaide get enough of the ball to break even with the Hawks and while they have it can they use it well enough to create score board pressure? The answer to part 1, for mine, is yes. They can get enough of the ball with Danger, Douglas, Sloane, Thompson etc feeding off big Sauce Jacobs. The second part of the question is really anyones guess. Walker, Jenkins and Betts sure would like some decent delivery to make the most of the entries Adelaide creates.

At the other end of the ground the young Adelaide back line that has held up well and shows promise faces its biggest challenge for some weeks, the Hawks forward line and midfield delivery. Gunston * he’d be handy at Adelaide ), Breust, Roili and the Uglymug pose any teams defence a challenge. At the other end the likes of Gibson, Frawley and Lake sure up the big men department for the Hawks that has suffered in recent times with injuries to all of the above mentioned.

Big crowd, big stage, big game. The Hawks haven’t strung two wins back to back often this season and Adelaide are coming off the break. Adelaide have been slow starters all year, can they fix that tonight? It might just be the difference. Cracking game ahead, Hawks by 9 points.

Urrgghhh. Carlton and Port. Cripes. What should happen is different to what will happen and actually anything might happen. Us Port folk are not sure what to think. We’re holding out for the worm to turn, we’re thinking it should have happened weeks ago, it hasn’t, will it be this week?

Forget the bullshit being thrown out by some “Carlton have nothing to lose”, bollocks. Anyone who crosses the white line has plenty to lose and it’s not just that match. Carlton have been hit hard with champion Chris Judd having played his last game and dud import Daisy Thomas going in to have his busted wing clipped. One is a loss, the other is a waste of coin.....but, Carlton have shown they are prepared to run and play direct to Kruezer, a handy mid season inclusion. With Murphy getting plenty of it, Simpson capable, Curnow and Cripps coming on and Casboult and Kruezer to aim at they’ve got something going forward. Touhy and Buckley offer something in defence while Bell looks to be a ring a ding dead set half back flanker. ( Not wanker )

Port, where do I start? They simply must front up on Saturday at the G ( Nanna Boon is on the train tomorrow to go watch, I hope she’s not left with a cold cuppa tea as her highlight of the weekend ) and it’s time to put some heat and a few blokes. Lobbe needs to have an impact at ground level this week, he’s been competing in the air but offering little to nothing around the ground ( 52 hitouts last week, 5 touches ) and with Ryder set to return after the bye the big Ginger needs a big game against journeyman Cameron Wood, who, is about as hard as Kevin Rudd in a one-on-one with Gillard. Schulz needs to keep his positioning and offer a target for the mids who look up to see Wingard and 4 defenders in recent weeks. Sarge needs to nail a few this weekend. In the mids Hartlett needs to knuckle down and make the most of his ample frame and skills by impacting upon the contest.

Urrgghh. Port by 21 points. Please.

Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:59 pm

Hawthorn by 16 but a good feeling we can win this one, Hawthorn not travelling that greatly

Port by 88
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:06 pm

I think Adelaides biggest hurdle is the Hawthorn back half being settled for the first time in weeks.

Lake, Frawley and Gibson are about as good a key trio as any side has and throw in Burgoyne and Mitchell / Hodge running from half back and it's going to be tough to score against that line up.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:38 pm

Booney wrote:I think Adelaides biggest hurdle is the Hawthorn back half being settled for the first time in weeks.

Lake, Frawley and Gibson are about as good a key trio as any side has and throw in Burgoyne and Mitchell / Hodge running from half back and it's going to be tough to score against that line up.

Yes, my confidence did take a bit of a dent when you identified that in your preview!
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:03 am

Pretty good contest and much like the Fremantle game a small gap in the amount of polish when finishing saw the Hawks win in the end.

Again Adelaide had a sluggish start, allowing 6 first quarter goals through against any opposition will hurt in the long run.

Roughead and Gunston almost have no effect and they still kick 17 goals. Hawthorn, still the team to beat.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:16 am

Hawthorn were impressive to watch last night. Many of their goals were just patiently set up. They worked the contests a lot better as well - they really know how to keep the ball moving in tight. Even as far as tackling just to force a spill.

They are most certainly still the team to beat.

Adelaide - well it's a good indicator of where we're at I suppose. About 5 goals of the reigning premier is about right I'd say.

Still very frustrating to see misses at key moments. Charlie Cameron early in the last - a massive moment that would have seen us only a goal down. Misses the shot and 5 minutes later Hawthorn have banged on 3 more goals and it's game over.

It was a great contest up until that point, and I was really disappointed about that last quarter as it reduced the game to a bit of a fizzer in the end.

You can see that the intent is there and I feel like we are improving and heading in the right direction still though.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:25 am

Just one for Lee and the Westies crew on here - your man Rory Laird continues to make a name for himself on the biggest stage.

He was fantastic again last night. I think most people have expected him to develop into that small rebounding defender post - but at the moment you would have to say that he's putting his hand up for a regular midfield gig.

I remember Lee calling it when Adelaide drafted him - I think he might end up being quite the steal.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:32 am

Gingernuts wrote:Hawthorn were impressive to watch last night. Many of their goals were just patiently set up. They worked the contests a lot better as well - they really know how to keep the ball moving in tight. Even as far as tackling just to force a spill.

They are most certainly still the team to beat.

Adelaide - well it's a good indicator of where we're at I suppose. About 5 goals of the reigning premier is about right I'd say.

Still very frustrating to see misses at key moments. Charlie Cameron early in the last - a massive moment that would have seen us only a goal down. Misses the shot and 5 minutes later Hawthorn have banged on 3 more goals and it's game over.

It was a great contest up until that point, and I was really disappointed about that last quarter as it reduced the game to a bit of a fizzer in the end.

You can see that the intent is there and I feel like we are improving and heading in the right direction still though.

Too busy getting his post goal celebration ready?

Focus on the key parts of the game Charlie, throwing in after goal celebrations after getting a cheap one out the back isn't a good look when you mess up a fundamental of the game. Was very costly.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:46 am

Sometimes you just know when it's 'that moment'.

Sitting there last night with Cameron lining up - it was clearly 'that moment' - and yet I knew he would miss. Very disappointing.

They've still got a long way to go when it comes to maintaining composure under pressure. Ultimately that's what the poor disposal and goal kicking comes down to.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:49 am

Gingernuts wrote:Sometimes you just know when it's 'that moment'.

Sitting there last night with Cameron lining up - it was clearly 'that moment' - and yet I knew he would miss. Very disappointing.

They've still got a long way to go when it comes to maintaining composure under pressure. Ultimately that's what the poor disposal and goal kicking comes down to.

Yep, I can't recall, did any senior players go to him before he took the kick?
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:34 am

I don't know if they did actually, you make a very good point.

I know he instantly looked nervous about taking the shot as soon as the ball was in his hands.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:49 am

Gingernuts wrote:I don't know if they did actually, you make a very good point.

I know he instantly looked nervous about taking the shot as soon as the ball was in his hands.

If there was ever a moment for an old head to step in and say take a moment, take a deep breathe, that was it.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:23 am

In direct comparison, only seconds later a Hawks player (can't remember who) had a similar shot and just went back and slotted it without a second thought. Never looked like he was going to miss.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:55 pm

We give up quick multiple goals too easily. It hurts us in every game when the opposition gets a run on and bags 3 in 5 minutes or thereabouts. We then burn juice catching up and then let it happen again.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:10 pm

UncleHuey wrote:We give up quick multiple goals too easily. It hurts us in every game when the opposition gets a run on and bags 3 in 5 minutes or thereabouts. We then burn juice catching up and then let it happen again.

2013 and 2014 all over?
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:58 pm

Booney wrote:
UncleHuey wrote:We give up quick multiple goals too easily. It hurts us in every game when the opposition gets a run on and bags 3 in 5 minutes or thereabouts. We then burn juice catching up and then let it happen again.

2013 and 2014 all over?

Yes and No - the problem is still there, but it's nowhere near as bad as it has been the last couple of years.

While we're still turning the ball over a bit with poor disposal as well, again I think the team and our defence in particular has got a lot better at reacting to turnovers quickly and ensuring that these don't result in scoring opportunities.

I can see definite improvement still personally.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:01 pm

No doubt there is improvement across the board with plenty of players taking a decent stride in their development.

How can anyone possibly change the way Adelaide start games? It has to be a mental thing, but what buttons does Walsh and Co. need to push to get them starting right?

On a side note, I like the sound of Fagan....but, next interview you hear from him listen how many times he says "mate", it's oddly high for a bloke in the position he is in. Not knocking him, but it isn't normal CEO speak.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:22 pm

Ha! Now you've pointed it out that's all I'll probably hear! Laughing

I don't know what Walsh can do to avert the slow starts. I think there's still an experience issue with the side TBH - there is still that mental fragility there that can only be shaken off with experience.

Our major playmakers are getting to the point where they are around that 100 - 150 game mark, but the majority of the 22 that line up each week are still sub 100 and until that reverses I think erratic form and the odd poor decision will still be common.

What I like is that Walsh is encouraging them to play risky football and encouraging them to basically make mistakes in an effort to win the game. While frustrating to watch, this is important in fast tracking the required development.

The best sides ooze confidence and clearly don't fear failure, as anyone who watched Hawthorn last night will attest to.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:49 pm

Someone just posted a stat on another forum - we had 10 player under 50 games playing last night, the Hawks had only 3.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Gingernuts wrote:and yet I knew he would miss. Very disappointing.

Has he ever actually got a goal from a set shot?
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next