Eagles sign Godden to the end of 2017.

+3
Scrunch
IAmTheWarrior
Lee
7 posters

Go down

Eagles sign Godden to the end of 2017. Empty Eagles sign Godden to the end of 2017.

Post by Lee Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:57 pm

Michael Godden's contract with the Eagles has been extended to the end of 2017.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Eagles sign Godden to the end of 2017. Empty Re: Eagles sign Godden to the end of 2017.

Post by bayman Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:26 pm

about half way through last season, i doubt this would have happened, good to see time heels all wounds, well done to both parties etc
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Eagles sign Godden to the end of 2017. Empty Re: Eagles sign Godden to the end of 2017.

Post by IAmTheWarrior Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:04 am

Is this a good thing? Were the Eags under any pressure to re-sign him because other clubs were circling? Genuine questions because although he's our coach I don't have a strong opinion either way on his performance with us. I thought there were problems last year as you mentioned Bayman and this year hasn't started quite the way we would have liked so it seems a very early call.
IAmTheWarrior
IAmTheWarrior

Teams : Woodville (now WWT), Crows, Strathfieldsaye Storm and Sunshine Kangaroos
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:21 am

Timing does seem a bit odd, any chance they were fearful of the Bays coming after him? Either way, Im sure the club had their reasons.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:52 am

I wonder whether clubs are facing a new dynamic with coaches now. (This isn't specifically about Godden).

In recent times, some clubs have paid very big amounts for full-time coaches, sometimes with results, sometimes not. Many of these clubs are facing financial difficulties at the same time.

I doubt there will be the money available to appoint as many higher profile coaches from now on, especially from interstate. So clubs are facing appointing less experienced, local coaches, which will narrow the pool of local, experienced people available.

It may just be that the Eagles know they have an experienced coach who is well regarded at the club and are happy to back him in.

I think this will happen more with coaches who are relatively successful.

Of course we've all read some Eagles supporters who have never seen a move by any Eagles coach that they've ever approved of Wink

Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:04 pm

I see no problems with this appointment.

While many Eagles fans lament their recent form, they probably haven't had the depth to cover the seemingly constant stream of 3-4 week injuries ( and supensions! ) they get, mind you, they also had an ageing playing group that lost several keys in the last 2-3 years that have been difficult to replace.

Godden is a very good coach and clearly the Eagles have decided they either won't get anyone better or they would be taking too big a risk finding out.

Savvy move for mine.

Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:13 pm

If i were a rival SANFL club in need of a new coach, someone that had taken a side to the premiership in recent years would likely be on my short list to speak with. No suprises if Glenelg are / were keen to speak with him accordingly.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:27 pm

Booney wrote:I see no problems with this appointment.

While many Eagles fans lament their recent form, they probably haven't had the depth to cover the seemingly constant stream of 3-4 week injuries ( and supensions! ) they get, mind you, they also had an ageing playing group that lost several keys in the last 2-3 years that have been difficult to replace.

Godden is a very good coach and clearly the Eagles have decided they either won't get anyone better or they would be taking too big a risk finding out.

Savvy move for mine.

Not doubting Godden is a good coach, duds dont win premierships. But the difference between Norwood and the Eagles in recent seasons has been Norwoods willingness to expose their best juniors to league football. The Eagles have had fantastic juniors in that time too, but seem content to let them win underage flags, imho,to the detriment of their league chances.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:18 pm

just playing devils advocate here
I wonder if they signed Gods as others around him moved at very odd times of a the football year !!
Wright walked to South
Hentschel to port
Grimm to Sturt
I wonder what happened .
And Eagles seconds are doing very well without Wright at this stage .
Do agree with the juniors comments interesting that Ainger is in the bench this week . Wonder if thats a message for him and the team .
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:37 am

mickyj wrote:just playing devils advocate here
I wonder if they signed Gods as others around him moved at very odd times of a the football year !!
Wright walked to South
Hentschel to port
Grimm to Sturt
I wonder what happened .
And Eagles seconds are doing very well without Wright at this stage .
Do agree with the juniors comments interesting that Ainger is in the bench this week . Wonder if thats a message for him and the team .

Stand to be corrected, but didn't think the timing of Boofs departure was odd.
Hentschel to Port is probably irrelevant because losing any personnel to an AFL club and the bigger $$ is unlikely to be blocked by a SANFL club, contract or not (if applicable).
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:51 am

Even though Hentschell will be a forward coach for the magpies in the SANFL .
It was brought to my attention by an Eagles fan at one of the trial games why was it done at the start of the season and not at the end !

And what was the trouble bayman was talking about . Cause it must be a well kept secret
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:30 pm

mickyj wrote:

And what was the trouble bayman was talking about . Cause it must be a well kept secret

just because a person (any person) doesn't know something doesn't mean it is a secret Wink

i could post what happened but there isn't any point as obviously mature people have sorted it out with each other
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:56 pm

bayman wrote:
mickyj wrote:

just because a person (any person) doesn't know something doesn't mean it is a secret Wink

i could post what happened but there isn't any point as obviously mature people have sorted it out with each other

Fair enough
did it have anything to do with hentschel and co leaving
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:48 pm

mickyj wrote:
bayman wrote:
mickyj wrote:

Fair enough
did it have anything to do with hentschel and co leaving

NO none whatsoever
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down