Big Phil
Southee
Lee
Flag No.10
12 posters

Go down

Godden's comments Empty Godden's comments

Post by Flag No.10 Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:38 am

What do people make of Godden's comments in the Tiser, to the effect that he's going to train his players every day up until the Anzac Day game, and that if they're tired and sore on the day of the game, so be it? He says his focus is not on this game but further down the track. Is he to be believed? At first glance it reads like he's writing the game off. But can he afford to write any game off at the moment? Is he really trying to create some over-confidence at Centrals?
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Godden's comments Empty Re: Godden's comments

Post by Lee Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:43 am

One of the strangest interviews I've read. Perhaps desperate times call for desperate methods.

I'm inclined to think he means it and is going to try to 'toughen them up' with the extra training regime, whatever the consequences.

Micky Godden is straight up and I doubt it was a ploy.

He's probably just being realistic about Wednesday's game.

At least it's refreshing to read such comments, even if they are bizarre, compared with the often usual cliches.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:16 pm

redandblack wrote:One of the strangest interviews I've read. Perhaps desperate times call for desperate methods.

I'm inclined to think he means it and is going to try to 'toughen them up' with the extra training regime, whatever the consequences.

Micky Godden is straight up and I doubt it was a ploy.

He's probably just being realistic about Wednesday's game.

At least it's refreshing to read such comments, even if they are bizarre, compared with the often usual cliches.

I would have to agree. When I read it I found it very bizarre!!

With that, I must say I loved his honesty without the "whiteboard" book of phases.

I really like Godden. He would be so frustrated to know what the hell is going on with his team....... Embarassed
Southee
Southee

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Reverse Pyschology perhaps?
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by lachlan Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:57 pm

When I first read the comments I thought boy he has to kidding however I think Godden is a realist and be believes
they are no chance tomorrow & from here on in its about getting back to basics
lachlan
lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:01 pm

if Mick Godden is correct the 1/4 ($1.25) on the tab is a great bet then, i think Central will win but i also expect a wounded Eagle outfit to respond after saturdays debacle
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by StrayDog Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:33 am

Big Phil wrote:Reverse Pyschology perhaps?
Before the season started I'd picked the Eagles for a grand final spot. I stand by it.
StrayDog

My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:38 am

Wasn't there a season in the 70s when Torrens lost the first 11 (or so) games of the year and still made the finals?
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:46 am

Flag No.9 wrote:Wasn't there a season in the 70s when Torrens lost the first 11 (or so) games of the year and still made the finals?

I think you may be thinking of the time Wayne Jackson took over from Bill Barrot as coach in 1974 and took them to the finals. They sneaked into the 5 in the last minor round match. In following season (1975), everyone expected them to make the finals when Noel Teasdale took over as coach but they lost the first 13 matches.

Norwood played in the 1960 GF, lost the first 4 matches of 1961, went on to make the Grand Final, and there were only 19 minor rounds that season.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:09 am

Adelaide Hawk wrote:
Norwood played in the 1960 GF, lost the first 4 matches of 1961, went on to make the Grand Final, and there were only 19 minor rounds that season.

Norwood making Grand Finals from 0-4 starts - bit of a habit there

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Hatchmanss76 Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:49 pm

Telling it exactly as he sees it. Refreshing cheers Godden's comments 169538438 Godden's comments 1707509332

Hatchmanss76
Hatchmanss76

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:53 pm

As Hatchman says he is only being blunt about what he sees as what is happening. Maybe its not the done thing, yet Premiership Coaches also should be able to be unconventional if they wish to be, the cup earns them that right IMO.

I admit that I was quite surprised by his comments, what I wonder if not unlike Ron Fuller at South, Godden is turning his attention towards some of the long term problems that have been at WWT for many years which have been papered over by success on the field and allowed to be in a situation of not being dealt with by the board of the club? By that I mean low attendances at games, low membership, the club being landlocked in an area with less young people and families than their competitors and not gaining an appropriate share of participation rates in its zone from the SANFL, along with financial restrictions cancelling the various improvements to the ground proposed and promised by the board to bring the traininig facilities in line with what is on offer at CDFC?

If that is the case I would quite openly support Godden in the message that he is trying to get across. Both Woodville and West Torrens went through much pain and grief with similar problems in the 1980s and it began to very much impact West Torrens on the field and kept Woodville largely unsuccessful. Far better for the club to take it on board and look at strategies to deal with the problems of the whole club rather than end up in a rut again.

Like StrayDog suggests, I too think WWT will bounce back accordingly this season and will hardly be writing them off just yet, especially with thier home ground advantage at "the house of pain!"
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down