Sledging

5 posters

Go down

Sledging Empty Sledging

Post by Lee Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:59 pm

I have to say I agree with Jonathan Agnew totally.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jan/13/jonathan-agnew-disappointed-australia-have-not-stopped-aggressive-sledging

Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Sledging Empty Re: Sledging

Post by Gingernuts Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Urgh, I actually think Agnew has crossed the line a bit there.

I don't think it's particularly fair of him to use the death of Philip Hughes as a weapon against Australia.

I also think Australia get a bad rub when it comes to accusations of sledging because of past reputation.

They always have the finger pointed at them, but I think all sides do it and some probably worse than Australia does.

Accusing Australia of sledging has been 'easy runs' for commentators for a long time now, and this is just the latest incarnation of that.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:23 pm

I can't agree, nor in fact disagree.

Top line sports people push the physical limits daily, mentally this must take its toll.

Practice, practice, media, practice, practice, travel, media, travel etc and there is one release. On the field.

Sledging is one thing, it has and always will be a colourful aspect of the game. Flat out aggression and histrionics isn't and that could and should be eradicated.

This comes down to the team management, captains and ultimately players.

So, for Australia, Darren Lehmann is one of the leaders, Boof is old school. Michael Clarke is a brilliant skipper who would have, IMO, kept things in check more so than Smith did IF he was fit, physically and mentally after the Hughes tragedy. The Adelaide Test had Clarke thinking about more than some theatrics by his players.

On the other side, Kohli, whilst having a fair bit of wanker about him, was brilliant. He batted like a local lad in local conditions, but I think he and Ishant Sharma, as team leaders, let their side down.

So, while I don't agree with it...when you're 2-0 down in Australia and get on the lip, don't expect the boys in baggy greens to back down.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:42 pm

With the amount of $$$$ International cricketers make , is sledging a tactic rather than an emotion at times ?
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:52 pm

I reckon it is not so much about the amount of sledging, which I think hasn't changed a lot.

It is more about it getting off the wicket. With cameras, microphones, photographers and a zillion media people all at the ready to hone in on the slightest incident, perhaps the saturation coverage provides a slant on it that changes our perceptions and expectations over time.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down