testy
tumbleweeds
Flag No.10
the prowler
bayman
CB10
12 posters

Go down

Nathan Buckley suggests mid season draft Empty Nathan Buckley suggests mid season draft

Post by CB10 Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:01 pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-30/bucks-wants-midyear-draft

Buckley has suggested a mid season draft that is only open to players outside the AFL if those AFL clubs have long term injuries they need to cover.
Wow what a way to destroy a SANFL team on the rise. SANFL clubs work hard to recruit and promote players so that they can reap the rewards in Sept.
What Buckley is saying is that it would be fine to pluck the best contracted footballer in a team and upset and disrupt the balance of that SANFL team so their AFL team could benefit from his good form.
All the hard work and success a SANFL team has sometimes revolves around on one or two marquee players. To lose them mid season could devastate a clubs momentum.
I gather the player still stays with that feeder club if not required but it's just another example to me where AFL clubs think nothing of the impact their needs have on lower grades.
I'm quietly confident that if the player was taken by a Victorian club they would do their utmost to ensure that player was training with the club in Victoria.

Imagine the can of worms this idea would open up.

Last edited by CB10 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:14 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
CB10
CB10

Back to top Go down

Nathan Buckley suggests mid season draft Empty Re: Nathan Buckley suggests mid season draft

Post by bayman Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:28 pm

it has been 'tried' before, i'm sure our Central friends will remember Tony Lynn going to Carlton (iirc) in a mid season draft & who knows ? but that decision may've cost Central that years flag, to me it shows total disrespect to all the competitions that they would pluck players from, furthermore if the recruiters get it right in the first place they would have enough bases covered to ensure injuries long term or even short term are covered, if they can't they shouldn't be there doing that job & yes i could do a better job  Very Happy  Wink 

oh i should add if they decide on a mid season draft or should i say deals, i'd suggest players get ''loaned'' between AFL teams only for the period of that season
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Nathan Buckley suggests mid season draft Empty Re: Nathan Buckley suggests mid season draft

Post by the prowler Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:15 am

Sounds like an Eddy Everywhere idea to me through Buckleys lips.
the prowler
the prowler

Teams : South,Crows, Hectorville
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:00 am

They have a Pre Season Draft, a National Draft and a Rookie Draft. How many drafts do these people want?
And why stop at a mid-season draft? What if they lose a couple of players just before the finals? How about a Pre Finals Draft as well.
They have over 40 players on their lists. If that's not enough for them, increase the list size and draft the extra players at the start of the year.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by testy Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:14 pm

CB10 wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-30/bucks-wants-midyear-draft

Buckley has suggested a mid season draft that is only open to players outside the AFL if those AFL clubs have long term injuries they need to cover.
Wow what a way to destroy an SANFL team on the rise. SANFL clubs work hard to recruit and promote players so that they can reap the rewards in Sept.
What Buckley is saying is that it would be fine to pluck the best contracted footballer in a team and upset and disrupt the balance of that SANFL team so their AFL team could benefit from his good form.
All the hard work and success an SANFL team has sometimes revolves around on one or two marquee players. To lose them mid season could devastate a clubs momentum.
I gather the player still stays with that feeder club if not required but it's just another example to me where AFL clubs think nothing of the impact their needs have on lower grades.
I'm quietly confident that if the player was taken by a Victorian club they would do their utmost to insure that player was training with the club in Victoria.

Imagine the can of worms this idea would open up.

Funny how it is the losers who come up with these ideas, of course it has nothing to do with there list not being good enough, and figjam wouldn't dare whinge about there draw and how many times they go interstate every season.  Nathan Buckley suggests mid season draft 3021091443 
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:35 pm

In theory it's a reasonable idea....

....but in practice, with the way football is structured around Australia, it would be impossible to pull off without severely disadvantaging second tier and grassroots clubs and competitions.

The only way it might work is for players to declare at the start of the season or at the point of recruitment that they are still intent on playing AFL and will be nominating for the mid-season draft.

Even then, still think it would be too difficult to come up with a model that would be acceptable for all parties involved.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:51 pm

Sounds to me like he's just trying to take the focus off his own issues/football team/club  Nathan Buckley suggests mid season draft 4257781809 
A Mum
A Mum

Teams : Adelaide Crows - South Adelaide
My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:23 pm

This is what happens in the NFL and in the EPL, so rest assured it will come to the AFL also. Expect to see "Player Loaning" for $$$ come to both the AFL and its clubs and potentially to SANFL clubs by the AFL clubs.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:31 pm

Ben W wrote:This is what happens in the NFL and in the EPL, so rest assured it will come to the AFL also. Expect to see "Player Loaning" for $$$ come to both the AFL and its clubs and potentially to SANFL clubs by the AFL clubs.

Given the financial state of some SANFL clubs, if $$$ compensation was attached to it that might change things a little....
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek

Back to top Go down

Post by CB10 Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:44 pm

Gingernuts wrote:
Ben W wrote:This is what happens in the NFL and in the EPL, so rest assured it will come to the AFL also. Expect to see "Player Loaning" for $$$ come to both the AFL and its clubs and potentially to SANFL clubs by the AFL clubs.

Given the financial state of some SANFL clubs, if $$$ compensation was attached to it that might change things a little....

There are occasions when money just doesn't excuse the price the club would have to pay. Losing the player and the hopes and trust of their supporters.
Surely we've compromised our comp enough, this would be one of the final nails.
CB10
CB10

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:16 pm

The EPL don't have pre season drafts like the AFL does which is a pity, the same 4 or 5 teams win there competition year in year out, so IMO there is a lot more eveness over here.

Over there it is the rich versus the other 15 minnows.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:20 pm

A Mum wrote:Sounds to me like he's just trying to take the focus off his own issues/football team/club  Nathan Buckley suggests mid season draft 4257781809 
I think the technical term is "self preservation"  Laughing 
I'm sure he's not looking forward to his end of season review meeting with Eddy.
countrycousin
countrycousin

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:50 pm

So the AFL clubs need their own Reserves teams in State Leagues so they can all play together and learn the game plan, but they also need a mid-season draft to pluck a player from a State League team to play for them, without having played for that Reserves team, therefore playing together and learning that game plan doesn't matter?

It is hard enough now to ignore the compromised position the SANFL is in to follow your club with enthusiasm and this would be yet another wound inflicted.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mannyredleg Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:36 pm

Maybe the SANFL should consider becoming a summer comp played under lights.
Pros:
1.The AFL clubs would not be interested in fielding reserves in the off season and we would revert back to a pure SANFL comp.
2. Buckley's plan would not affect us as our players would not be match fit during the AFL season
3. SANFL gets exposure with no AFL competition. May get more coverage on radio and TV.
4. AFL supporters may actually return during summer and follow a SANFL team during their off season.
Cons:
1. Many people (I included) hate night games
2. All suburban grounds would have to get lights up to standard.
3. Too bloody hot but they play under these conditions in Darwin dont they?
Mannyredleg
Mannyredleg

Teams : Norwood
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down