testy
13 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Trotting - Page 6 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by Scrappy Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:29 pm

Gloucester Park has now had the last 3 Inter Dominions run 2015-2017
Globe Derby last had the series in 2007
Will we ever see it run in Adelaide again ?

Last edited by Scrappy on Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:13 pm

It even made the news on tv last night, here is the official release to add to scrappy's post

http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=31814
Trots To Harness Whip-Free Racing

10 December 2016
Logo

Australian harness racing is banning the use of whips in training and racing from 1 September 2017 in a world-leading animal welfare initiative that improves the industry’s image and enhances its sustainability.
The decision sets the pace in animal welfare and for the long-term support and sustainability of the industry. It aligns with high expectations of the community, fans, and industry participants in harness racing.
The announcement which followed the jewel event on the Australasian harness racing calendar yesterday – the Inter Dominion in Perth – makes Australia the first country in the world to voluntarily ban the whip.
The whip ban broadens Harness Racing Australia’s (HRA) world leadership position in the industry, which is already established through a wide-ranging welfare agenda, including zero-tolerance to prohibited substances in racing.
The Chairman of HRA, Mr Geoff Want, said today: “The whip ban decision was not taken lightly, but was made on our own initiative because we believe it is the right decision at the right time.
We have been moving down this path for six years by limiting its use with a strong focus on health and welfare of horses.
“We see the ban as a vital way of demonstrating our responsibility as an industry, and to earning and maintaining the social acceptance and sustainability of harness racing”.
HRA Executive meeting yesterday unanimously agreed to the implementation details of the ban, following the proactive initiative of members at the Annual General Meeting of Harness Racing Australia last October.
The Executive also gave detailed consideration to the likely effect of the ban on harness racing audiences and the punting public.
“We are strongly of the belief that the improved image of our sport will add to the appeal of our racing product and be broadly welcomed by fans,” said Mr Want. “We are confident that wagering turnover will not be impacted and indeed a number of professional punters have indicated support for the ban”.
The implementation of the ban from 1 September 2017, will allow for a program of awareness, education, and research and monitoring to be undertaken across the industry.
The program will embrace the education of drivers and horses. It will also include a major research task to ensure safety is maintained when drivers do not have a whip to control unexpected horse movements.
Mr Want said many drivers were concerned that control over a horse would be curtailed without a whip, especially when horses shy (leap sideways) or back up. He said HRA Executive accepted the challenges the ban presented for ensuring safety was maintained for drivers, people, horses, trainers, stablehands, and people nearby.
“Between now and the implementation of the whip ban, we will consult widely in the industry, especially with drivers and trainers, and with animal welfare advocates, such as the RSPCA,” Mr Want said.
“Whatever tool evolves from this process it will only be allowed to avoid or guide a horse out of a dangerous situation to itself, other horses, drivers or anyone nearby.
“It will definitely be banned from use to urge a horse to better perform, and strict penalties will apply for any breaches of its use.
“Undoubtedly, some people may resist change, or feel the decision limits competitiveness in harness racing. We are confident they will be proved wrong and will eventually see the merit of banning the whip,” he said.
"We know some drivers are concerned about safety issues, but we feel the process of developing a tool to maintain safety will allay concerns.
“There is ample evidence the whip is not needed in our industry and that its use to enhance racing performance is questionable,” he said. “If no driver uses a whip then no driver has a perceived advantage – each race will be conducted on a level playing field, have a fair winner and horse welfare will be enhanced”.
Mr Want said animal welfare would continue to be addressed during the transition to banning the whip, and the industry would seek input from the RSPCA going forward.
CEO of the RSPCA Australia, Ms Heather Neil, commended the HRA’s leadership, and said: “This is a powerful sign that the harness racing industry is both listening to its stakeholders, and acknowledging the concerns of the wider community.
“As Harness Racing Australia has recognised, racing should celebrate quality horsemanship, breeding and training - whips shouldn’t come into it.”
Mr Want said: “Our members have a considerate and ethical equine welfare agenda and rules, and we do a great deal to enforce rigorous animal welfare protocols. The whip ban is part of continued improvements.
“For example, we have just appointed our inaugural Equine Health & Welfare Coordinator to benchmark states, review policy, manage disease and quarantine, and clear international horse movements”.
Australia’s leading driver – and 11-times winner of the national drivers’ championship – Chris Alford said he supported the ban.
“Drivers are very sensitive to their horses and appreciate and support moves to ensure high standards of animal welfare that are aligned with community expectations,” he said.
“We also know that a shying horse is a danger to itself, drivers, people and other horses nearby. I fully support the decision to ban the whip, plus maintain safety for all involved”.
For information or interviews contact:
Alex Messina – 0413 316 478
Robert Masters – 0413 147 080
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:53 pm

There is a down side to this, what happens to the horses that aren't genuine? You know the lazy ones that need a little persuasion, because they all won't end up as show horses & the like
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by fatty Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:39 pm

testy wrote:
fatty wrote:would like some trots talk fellas, i too went to wayville as a youngster and gdp as an adult but havent been since thorate won the interdom final back in 1990, backed it too at $16, trained by the great brian hancock and driven by howard james

Hey fatty, I backed Thorate that night also, what a run he got settled 4 or 5 back on the fence and never left it , everything in front of him left the fence and he just got a dream run into the straight, I got 16s as well, great memories.

i reckon he was 12/1 all the way thru betting so backed him at that and i only saw the 16s just before they jumped and got on again! Very Happy , we had some decent ones going around back then, the rattler and guvs pride come to mind.........ahhhh the good old days
fatty
fatty

Back to top Go down

Post by fatty Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:44 pm

why is there such a large discrepancy with prizemoney here compared to everywhere else?

how can vic and nsw continue with the prizemoney they offer when their metro tracks are miles from the cbd and hardly anyone goes anymore?

where does wa generate its revenue from to be able to pay what they are currently?

comparing apples for apples, wa pays about 300% more in prizemoney than we do???

fatty
fatty

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:48 am

fatty wrote:why is there such a large discrepancy with prizemoney here compared to everywhere else?

how can vic and nsw continue with the prizemoney they offer when their metro tracks are miles from the cbd and hardly anyone goes anymore?

where does wa generate its revenue from to be able to pay what they are currently?

comparing apples for apples, wa pays about 300% more in prizemoney than we do???

There are many many more trotting tracks in Vic. and NSW compared to here and so the betting turnover is enormous and given there population as well in those states it will always be that way. The NSW harness board made many millions of dollars with the sale of Harold Park paceway and surrounding land that they owned and this put them in a very comfortable place as far as finances were concerned.

WA is controlled by the state govt. as they never sold there TAB like we did (derr) and there betting turnover is all theres and doesn't have to be shared with another state like we do.

Here in deadsville you can count the number of tracks that conduct TAB meetings on one hand. Turnover is near rock bottom and so the distribution is much less. We are in a very sorry state of affairs as far as harness racing goes in this state with not much chance of survival long term.

testy
testy

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by fatty Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:41 pm

now i get it in regards to wa harness racing, that effwit john olsen sold our tab for a pittance to qld , reckon the figure was $45mil or something paltry like that
fatty
fatty

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:03 pm

fatty wrote:now i get it in regards to wa harness racing, that effwit john olsen sold our tab for a pittance to qld , reckon the figure was $45mil or something paltry like that

Yep, he not only sold the state down the drain, he's now helping sending the SANFULLOFSH1T down the drain
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by fatty Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:27 am

that happened in 2013 when our clubs let it happen
fatty
fatty

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:12 pm

ls the 'chair' of the stewards panel Barbara Scott leaving her position shortly ?

i believe this to be true

i suppose we'll know (for sure) if or should i say when they advertise the position as vacant
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:51 pm

Gonna be a warm night for the SA Pacing Cup this sat
The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:33 pm

The Emperor wrote:Gonna be a warm night for the SA Pacing Cup this sat

The forecast is 39 degrees, however I find whether its in the middle of winter or the middle of summer I never notice how hot or cold it is if I'm winning Wink
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Winning?? What is this term you speak of? Foreign language to me....
The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by fatty Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:22 pm

remember one night when gammalite won it was 43c during the day
fatty
fatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:56 pm

I think Smolda can win the cup Saturday night
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:54 am

Scrappy wrote:I think Smolda can win the cup Saturday night

So do the bookies as its $1.20 I give the ghostly grey Adam Cartwright a great place chance at big odds
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:41 am

before reading the article below i hope they do the same thing for tonights Port Pirie meeting

http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=32044

UBET SA Cup race meeting update

06 January 2017
by the Office of the Chief Executive Officer: John Lewis
Logo

MEDIA RELEASE
In relation to the UBET SA Cup race meeting tomorrow night, HRSA has been closely monitoring weather conditions. The revised forecast for Globe Derby Park tomorrow is 40 degrees, which will decrease to 35 degrees at 7.30pm with a further change expected throughout the night.
The safety and welfare of participants, officials, horses and patrons is of paramount concern. Therefore as part of our deliberations, we have considered a range of factors which are detailed in our ‘adverse heat policy’.
Taking these factors into account, the race meeting has been put back one hour with the first race now commencing at 6.42pm.
The following other actions have been implemented:
all horses will be checked upon arrival and after each race by veterinary surgeons;
additional swab attendants which will avoid delays with horses waiting to be swabbed;
air conditioners in the swab boxes have been serviced and are fully operational. These air conditioned swab boxes can also be used by any horses needing relief;
hoses in the wash bays will pass through chilled water to cool the water; and
the time required for horses to be in the parade ring will be shortened.

There will also be bottled iced water for all participants in the stalls area and drivers rooms.
Finally, we look forward to an outstanding night of harness racing for the 2017 UBET SA Cup race meeting.
More information:
John Lewis (Chief Executive)
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:04 am

Sensible decision by all those involved to put back the races
SA Pacing Cup race now on at 10:45pm not 9:45pm
Perhaps if the other runners started at 9:45pm , they might beat Smolda!
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by fatty Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:50 pm

$300,000 fremantle cup on tonight, why isnt smola in that i wonder
fatty
fatty

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:52 pm

fatty wrote:$300,000 fremantle cup on tonight, why isnt smola in that i wonder

Adelaide was in the plans for Smolda, staying on in Perth was not, he wanted to give him a freshen up, a run in Adelaide & then target the big Victorian races
Smolda heading for SA Cup.............here is an article from December 13th............

13 December 2016
by Paul Courts
Logo

NEXT month’s South Australia Cup has been given a huge boost with news Inter Dominion star Smolda is being aimed at the feature.
Co-trainer Mark Purdon confirmed the Group One – scheduled to be conducted at Globe Derby on January 7 – has been pencilled onto Smolda’s agenda.
Purdon, who prepares his team with Natalie Rasmussen, stated the time-honoured feature fits in “perfectly” for the son of Courage Under Fire.
“With the Summer races in Victoria a major target for him, the South Australia Cup is the ideal lead up race,” Purdon said.
“It works in perfectly with the plans we have for him and we will be working on having him in Adelaide for it.”
Smolda outclassed a stellar field in last Friday night’s Inter Dominion at Gloucester Park, with Purdon stating the Australian Pacing Gold graduate has made his way through the gruelling series “in great condition”.
“Obviously the Inter Dominion takes a bit out of them, but that’s the point of the series, test for man and equine,” Purdon said.
“We couldn’t be happier with the way he has pulled up. He’s having a nice easy week now, then we’ll start building him up again before heading over to South Australia.”

bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:27 pm

I can see Fattys point of view
$300,000 prizemoney for the Fremantle Cup
$100,000 prizemoney for the SA Pacing Cup
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:34 am

The pacing cup is at 9-45
The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:36 am

Jackpot r1 trify
Box up 3,6,10 and collect.....That's what the paper odds tell me
The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:37 pm

The Emperor wrote:Jackpot r1 trify
Box up 3,6,10 and collect.....That's what the paper odds tell me

NOT IF 3 GALLOPS ON THE FIRST TURN, i'd suggest doing this

6,10/6,10/3,7

and for less units

6,10/6,10/1,8,9

actually don't take it as it will shorten the dividend
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:43 pm

Scrappy wrote:I can see Fattys point of view
$300,000 prizemoney for the Fremantle Cup
$100,000 prizemoney for the SA Pacing Cup

the plan for the horse is Melbourne, so they stay in Perth a month or so & then travel over the nullarbor & straight to Melbourne in likely high temperatures, yeah that'd be great for the horses welfare & preparation Embarassed Embarassed given our heatwave i was surprised he didn't scratch......they are animals not machines
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum