bayman
Scrunch
UncleHuey
Gingernuts
13 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

R5 - West Coast vs Port Adelaide & Adelaide vs GWS - Page 3 Empty Re: R5 - West Coast vs Port Adelaide & Adelaide vs GWS

Post by Gingernuts Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:31 pm

Booney wrote:Bringing Pickett's record up is relevant, if you show me where he picked someone off out of the play.....in 2014. Wink 

Is he still playing at Mallee Park?  Laughing 

2004 or 2014, the nature of the incident hasn't changed IMO - most of Pickett's work was off the ball and unnecessary.

Byron was the king of the cheap shot and dealt out many an unnecessary concussion. Absolutely no difference, other than Pickett did it regularly and actually made it a halmark of his game.

So as a prime example of the hypocracy of some Port fans I think it serves a very good purpose, and I stick by that.  Wink 
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

R5 - West Coast vs Port Adelaide & Adelaide vs GWS - Page 3 Empty Re: R5 - West Coast vs Port Adelaide & Adelaide vs GWS

Post by Gingernuts Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:34 pm

sapaul wrote:Fantasia could be back next year too.

I don't think that would be a good thing personally. His early work was good, but his strike rate seriously tailed off towards the end of his last stint with us. That may have been the Ayres influence so not entirely his fault - but regardless I would prefer new ideas coming into the club rather than recycled 'old boys'. We've got enough of that going on in the administration already.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:44 pm

Gingernuts wrote:
Booney wrote:Bringing Pickett's record up is relevant, if you show me where he picked someone off out of the play.....in 2014. Wink 

Is he still playing at Mallee Park?  Laughing 

2004 or 2014, the nature of the incident hasn't changed IMO - most of Pickett's work was off the ball and unnecessary.

Byron was the king of the cheap shot and dealt out many an unnecessary concussion. Absolutely no difference, other than Pickett did it regularly and actually made it a halmark of his game.

So as a prime example of the hypocracy of some Port fans I think it serves a very good purpose, and I stick by that.  Wink 

I'd say, having been a very close watcher of Pickett and his efforts, the vast majority of his were in play and simply a case of one player being harder than another.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:54 pm

Righto. The tribunal didn't think so on several occasions - imagine what they would do to him now.

Anyway, one thing we can agree on is that Douglas is in trouble and I reckon it will be 4-5 weeks reduced to 2 - 3 for his good record.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:03 pm

Ahh, I said in play, I didn't say they were all fair and above board. Choppy had a tendency to leave the ground and turn his back. Usually inflicting more damage in the process.

The tribunal enjoyed getting him up in front of them, I don't doubt that. They may have been one of his victims over the years.  Very Happy 

4 for Douglas.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:25 pm

Yes I think the AFL & Tribunal will want a statement made here and it will result in 3 or 4 for Douglas. In my world it's not a report, same as Hartlett v GC last year, but Douglas can have no excuses. It was thoroughly avoidable hence any defence he might have will be immediately discarded, and the players should know better.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:26 pm

Douglas gets 4 down graded to 2
Thiele
Thiele

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:12 pm

When all is said and done Adelaide and Douglas have done well to limit the damage with this one.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:26 pm

Lyons to possibly come in? Otten should be in the mix too and Ellis-Yolmen.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IAmTheWarrior Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:16 pm

I understand the Douglas decision because of the concussion and the fact that it was away from the ball (although I think it was more stupid than deliberate). But the Glass decision(s) concern me. I think the Schulz incident should have at least been looked at and I think the Wingard incident was deliberate and could have resulted in worse injury than it did. I think 2 weeks minimum for that one would have been a better reflection of its seriousness.
IAmTheWarrior
IAmTheWarrior

Teams : Woodville (now WWT), Crows, Strathfieldsaye Storm and Sunshine Kangaroos
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:24 pm

spot on, the charging hit in Perth made Douglas' look like an alter boy, it seems to me with these decisions (MRP) the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:13 am

sapaul wrote:Lyons to possibly come in? Otten should be in the mix too and Ellis-Yolmen.

Yes, interesting times at the selection table this week.

For Douglas you have Grigg, Lyons and Ellis-Yolmen all in great SANFL form and pushing hard for a call up.

As for Otten, well he did everything right in his come back game last week in the SANFL - but so did his defensive counterparts against GWS on Sunday. My gut feeling is they deserve another crack (Shaw & Hartigan in particular), and Otten may have to bide his time. Same goes for Rutten if he's fit.

I reckon Rutten might actually find it quite difficult to get back into the side. Only half a dozen teams have a match up for him these days, and while still solid in a one on one marking contest, once it hits the deck his lack of pace lets him down severly. The way the game is played these days you have to be able to turn and sprint back to your defensive half in the event of a turnover, as Shaw and Hartigan did on several occasions last week. Poor old Truck just doesn't have that kind of pace in him anymore.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:54 am

Otten is a better player than Shaw and although not "like for like" Otten can play the Shaw role, along with others. That said, I tend to agree with you Gingernuts, to send the right message to players it's probably worth retaining Shaw. I don't think Rutten will struggle to return to the team yet. For his lack of pace and turning circle he still structures up pretty well and delivers a lot more than many realise.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:18 am

Rutten is the most interesting on Adelaide's list ( along with Porplyzia ).

Talia, Hartigan and Shaw are Adelaides future defence cornerstones and none of them deserved to be dropped. Throw in Otten who can go forward or back ( Walker, Jenkins and Otten looks better IMO than Walker, Jenkins and Pods ) and I think Adelaide should pick those guys ahead of Rutten for the betterment of the club.

Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:17 am

I hate to admit it, because Rutten has been such a fantastic servant of the Club, but I tend to agree with you Booney.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:52 pm

Wouldn't think Rutten would be dropped whilst finals are a realistic chance. Once that gets knocked on the head then I agree, utilise the future options.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3