Aerie
UncleHuey
Big Phil
Lee
12 posters

Go down

Port SANFL Team Empty Port SANFL Team

Post by Lee Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:43 am

This looks a strong team, but I wonder if the Seconds team will last long.

After the Steve Summerton deal to get around the spirit of the agreement, we now have Marlon Motlop added to the squad.

No guarantee of getting a game and a maximum payment of $400 a game.

Marlon played State footy for WA last year and you really have to wonder what the enticements (if any) have been.

If Port are looking for a solid new image, perhaps having their word trusted might be a goal they could look at.

Cue Booney  Very Happy 
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Port SANFL Team Empty Re: Port SANFL Team

Post by Big Phil Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:33 pm

Krakour as well...
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:47 pm

Its a farce. Port are playing everyone else for fools and have no interest in integrity - it is only about winning and the ends justifying the means.
Given that the whole concept is up for review, I am astounded that they are showing such disregard for the rest of the SANFL.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:02 pm

UncleHuey wrote:Its a farce. Port are playing everyone else for fools and have no interest in integrity - it is only about winning and the ends justifying the means.
Given that the whole concept is up for review, I am astounded that they are showing such disregard for the rest of the SANFL.

Being only about winning is a good thing - provided they don't win (haha, does that make sense?). It is the other side of the coin (i.e. the Crows model) that will/is burning at the integrity of the SANFL.

It will all pan out and adjustments will be made. What will be a disaster is if one of these sides wins the premiership straight away or makes finals and fields a half-arsed team that makes a joke of the competition.

Must admit, it is very hard for me to get enthused about the SANFL (or Footy in general) at the moment. Reluctant to buy a season ticket given there will only be 14 genuine league games for the season. Hard to know how it will all work. I hope our SANFL sides are strong enough to make the AFL teams largely irrelevant, besides seeing how many stats future star Joe Bloggs gets.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:15 pm

Someone call?  Very Happy 

I think there are several points that differ from the Port model to that of Adelaides, we've been through them all before.....the main one being Port wanted to maintain our SANFL structure and play AFL listed players at the Magpies.

Adelaide simply need somewhere to send the left overs to.

Which one, as Aerie notes, is more of a slap in the face to the SANFL, R&B? Port did everything we could to remain connected at SANFL level through junior development and community zones. Why can't that be viewed as a good thing? We didn't want to just walk away from the SANFL and the pathways to that through metro and country clubs.

Now, to Motlop and Krakouer. Perhaps, as Keith Thomas noted, the prospect of being directly involved with an AFL club while playing in a state level competition is attractive to fringe AFL players who are draft hopefuls or mature age players looking for a path back into the AFL along with juniors. Port have kept two very promising juniors in Johansen and Young in the squad. That must say something for the system.

Keep in mind none of these players are hidden from AFL rivals, Port are prepared (if the players are prepared to $acrifice income ) to give them the best possible opportunity to re-enter AFL ranks, by training in an AFL environment, being coached by top level coaches and fitness staff. Perhaps Motlop and Krakouer see that as a better option than playing for Glenelg or Sturt, if that's the case is there anything wrong with that?

So if these guys see that as an opportunity that's too good to refuse while happily accepting the $400 per week, why isn't that good enough for you?

Oh, because we never keep to our word and can't be trusted......
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by lachlan Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:23 pm

Booney

Sorry mate I just cannot see how Krakouer, Motlop and Summerton would play for $400.00 a game. Summerton was being paid extremely well previously by your club and to think they would completely back end his contract is a joke. The guy has to live and his cash flow would be effected dramatically on a day to day basis and I wouldn't think Summerton would agree to being paid for $400.00 a game for the next couple of yrs

As for Motlop and Krakouer to think they would move back to Adelaide to play for $400.00 a game is a complete farce
Port are treating the SANFL with total dis stain and nothing will change my opinion on that
lachlan
lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:33 pm

Are Motlop and Krakouer draft hopefuls?
I thought the former walked away from afl.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:56 pm

BOONEY part posted this ''Now, to Motlop and Krakouer. Perhaps, as Keith Thomas noted, the prospect of being directly involved with an AFL club while playing in a state level competition is attractive to fringe AFL players who are draft hopefuls or mature age players looking for a path back into the AFL along with juniors. Port have kept two very promising juniors in Johansen and Young in the squad. That must say something for the system.''

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

see this is where it is all wrong, in KT's words playing for Port (or Adelaide for that matter) is an advantage...surely every team in any given competition should have the same advantages & disadvantages ?

a strictly SANFL player will have to go to work/uni on Monday morning the AFL listed players can go & get extensive treatments if needed

like life in general the playing field of the SANFL is now not level for each & every team
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:59 pm

To expect us to believe they are getting $400.00 a game is an insult, Summerton is a gun SANFL player who would have been on much more per game of recent times and to expect us to think he would have taken a massive pay cut is folly.
But the SANFL have been led down the garden path before, so why is this any different ?
testy
testy

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Wongdo Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:24 pm

I'm completely confused here Bayman. Are you suggesting that Summerton, Butcher, Motlop etc. are training with the Power? I would be extremely surprised if this is the case. Reckon Essendon would be interested too as they were fined a lot of money for allowing uncontracted kids to train with them pre draft. I looked on the Port Mafpies website and it states that Port Adelaide Power listed players "must" play in the Port Adelaide Magpies SANFL League team if not selected for their AFL side. That would mean that barring injury there will be few available positions in the SANFL league side. Sounds an expensive exercise paying $400 per game to players in the SANFL reserves.
Wongdo
Wongdo

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:45 pm

Steve Summerton announced as the Captain of the Port Magpies / Power Reserves side for 2014...

Will continue the club tradition and stop wearing his number 33 jumper to don the number 1, instead...

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-02-26/sanfl-captain
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:49 pm

Wongdo, that wasn't what i meant but seeing you asked the question, well if it is the power reserves team with top up players i would presume they would be training altogether including the ''top up players'', if not why bother doing all this in the first place ? wasn't this put in so all the players could train & play together...actually i haven't got a problem with that, the problem i have is with the weekly recovery some players will have better resources than the majority of players thus making it an uneven playing field
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Post by Wongdo Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:18 pm

bayman wrote:Wongdo, that wasn't what i meant but seeing you asked the question, well if it is the power reserves team with top up players i would presume they would be training altogether including the ''top up players'', if not why bother doing all this in the first place ? wasn't this put in so all the players could train & play together...actually i haven't got a problem with that, the problem i have is with the weekly recovery some players will have better resources than the majority of players thus making it an uneven playing field
Now your question is the right one. Why bother doing all this in the first place? No I don't believe the Port Magpie Players such as Summerton etc can train with the Power. As I said earlier I believe this would contravene AFL Rules. As to better access to their facilities etc. yes you are right. This is a possibility but I wonder what will happen in practice. Where will an injured Port Magpie player sit in the queue when injuries start to mount as the season rolls on? Really interesting when you have the AFL sprucing their equalization policy but turning a blind eye to it at state level isn't it.
Wongdo
Wongdo

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:50 pm

My biggest fear is that what happened to the WAFL will happen here.

The Eagles gave all their players to one club, East Perth, so they could "train together". East Perth dominated for three years until the agreement changed. During that time WAFL attendences halved and have never recovered as a lot of fans left in disgust. Even now a 1500 attendance is regarded as good.

If Port wins the premiership, as is very possible given the influx of talent while giving up not much, will we have a competition in 2 or 3 years time? How many clubs can survive on an average attendance of 1000- 1200 people a match if every other clubs fans stop attending due to a rigged competition?
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:56 pm

UncleHuey wrote:My biggest fear is that what happened to the WAFL will happen here.

The Eagles gave all their players to one club, East Perth, so they could "train together". East Perth dominated for three years until the agreement changed. During that time WAFL attendences halved and have never recovered as a lot of fans left in disgust. Even now a 1500 attendance is regarded as good.

If Port wins the premiership, as is very possible given the influx of talent while giving up not much, will we have a competition in 2 or 3 years time? How many clubs can survive on an average attendance of 1000- 1200 people a match if every other clubs fans stop attending due to a rigged competition?

I've been to games with that amount of people well perhaps up to 1500 no offence to any teams I name
Bays when they are crap
Sturt when they are crap
West when they are crap or were
South when they are crap
Eagles get around 2000
So its already going on Uncle depends on the fairweather fans bandwagoners etc if they come along
mickyj
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by StrayDog Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:01 pm

mickyj wrote:
UncleHuey wrote:My biggest fear is that what happened to the WAFL will happen here.

I've been to games with that amount of people well perhaps up to 1500 no offence to any teams I name
Bays when they are crap
Sturt when they are crap
West when they are crap or were
South when they are crap
Eagles get around 2000
So its already going on Uncle depends on the fairweather fans bandwagoners etc if they come along
All quite subjective, no disrespect intended.  Thankfully the full year figures are still available from the West, as they are here.

The only way to truly tell is to study the trends over ten to twenty years starting back from before Collingwood's most recent flags and the subsequent moves (to use a euphemism) for AFL representation in the WAFL and SANFL hit the ground running.

By then it will all be academic anyway.
StrayDog

My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down