StrayDog
lachlan
Chambo Off To Work We Go
bayman
firstblood
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

So what do we think about this?  - Page 2 Empty Re: So what do we think about this?

Post by bayman Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:43 pm

06 Feb 2014
SANFL STATEMENT – AFC GUERNSEY

The South Australian National Football League has rescinded permission for the Adelaide Football Club to wear its special commemorative guernsey during the Round Two match against the Port Adelaide Football Club.

The Crows had received all relevant approvals to wear a State team style guernsey in the first Showdown at Adelaide Oval. However, due to considerable debate at different levels within the footy community, the SANFL feels this is the
best course of action to ensure the return to Adelaide Oval is not overshadowed.

SANFL Executive Commissioner Leigh Whicker said: “We understood the Adelaide Football Club’s desire to wear the guernsey in support of their heritage and birth from all SANFL clubs.

“The League has since had a change of heart and doesn’t want any public discussion to detract from football’s return to Adelaide Oval.”

The SANFL has made this decision in conjunction with the AFL and will make no further comment.

bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

So what do we think about this?  - Page 2 Empty Re: So what do we think about this?

Post by the prowler Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:18 pm

If we are the smartest State, we sure have some dumb bunnies running it.
the prowler
the prowler

Teams : South,Crows, Hectorville
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:10 am

Still no admission that they have no right to that jumper! Full Stop.

A football jumper is the single most item that points to the identity of a team / club that uses it. It is the starting point to your brand in my opinion. The jumper and team go hand in hand and are not severable.

Well in this instance the sanfl & Crows severed it and cannot see that - at least not publically. They got it horribly wrong due to their own arrogance and feeling of self-importance.

And nothing in the statement nor what has been said would indicate that they learnt from this mistake. Certainly not enough that it won't happen again.

One for the Shame File.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:59 am

As pointed out, the “heritage” of the Adelaide Crows is from 1990, it is about the heritage of the club, not the SANFL, if the AFC went ahead and wore the origin jumper, then the SANFL would have to let Port Adelaide wear it also by the same reasoning and more so considering their own players as a club wore that jumper and distinguished themselves on a number of occasions in it.

If the AFC want a Heritage jumper, then do what Fremantle did when they wore the old Fremantle FC jumper. In this case the Adelaide Football Club existed in the SANFL at the founding of the competition and wore red and black. When the AFC was dissolved, West Adelaide took on those colours. If the AFC want to run out in a jumper that commemorates the history of the original Adelaide Football Club I do not have a problem with that, I am pretty sure West Adelaide won’t have a problem if the Crows want to wear a red and black jumper either. Running it past them first probably would not be a bad thing though simply out of respect.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:54 am

If the State jumper is supposed to signify the celebration of football in SA, then organise a tribute match like the AFL did in 2008. Don't just hand it to a club and say they can wear it. The Crows should have come up with their own design (they already stole a heritage State guernsey a few years back). What if Collingwood wanted to wear the Big V? Or if South Sydney wanted to wear the NSW Jersey in a league game? The Adelaide Crows are a CLUB that represent SOME South Australians in the AFL. To come out and say they were going to don a State jumper in a club match and not care was foolish and stupid in my opinion. For those that say it's just a jumper, they are typical couch people who would have no idea of how hard some players worked to earn a State guernsey.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:56 am

I also guess the muppets at HQ of the AFL, SANFL and AFC truly think State football is dead, buried and cremated.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:36 pm

Sorry to be boring (I know I am - at least sometimes  Embarassed ) But I still think the whole episode was a tacky publicity stunt, that didn't quite turn out the way they expected. It was clearly intended to annoy the Port supporters, as well as heat up interest in the game. That it ended up creating widespread anger, obviously made them pull out of it sooner, rather than later. But as the old saying goes. Any publicity is better than none at all. At least it should get a crowd to the game, which is all they care about these days. $$$$$$$. Integrity died the day the AFL was created.
countrycousin
countrycousin

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:48 pm

A publicity stunt Just because they were pissed off at not being the home team for the game?
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:32 pm

Since 1998 there have been 12 interstate matches and the writer of an article in todays paper on page 13 says the state jumper has been gathering dust in a cupboard somewhere  Question  

Some great research done by the writer and also goes to show the lack of knowledge towards the SANFL and it wonderful history.

How arrogant to then suggest that when the crows arrived that was when footy in this state "got truly awesome"
How sad this person missed many great years of SANFL footy.

Finally, sanity has prevailed and they are not allowed to wear our great STATE GEURNSEY

testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:12 pm

if anyone can get me a ticket to this game i will wear a lace up state jumper which was given to me by a mate many years ago.............it wont be tied up though  Embarassed 

bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:29 pm

I'll see what I can do, Bayman.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:37 pm

testy wrote:
Since 1998 there have been 12 interstate matches and the writer of an article in todays paper on page 13 says the state jumper has been gathering dust in a cupboard somewhere  Question  

Some great research done by the writer and also goes to show the lack of knowledge towards the SANFL and it wonderful history.

How arrogant to then suggest that when the crows arrived that was when footy in this state "got truly awesome"

Finally, sanity has prevailed and they are not allowed to wear our great STATE GEURNSEY

None other than former Sunday Mail editor David Penberthy. For a former editor, it was quite a poorly worded and poorly researched article.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:06 pm

I feel I am with country cousin on this one .....

Big PR stunt to get people talking.

But hey , I am a conspiracist on most things that the media dish out to us  !!!

Anyway .... It was one of the most self indulgent things I have ever seen by a sporting club !
Southee
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:17 pm

redandblack wrote:I'll see what I can do, Bayman.

ok thanks r&b
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by StrayDog Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:59 am

Message deleted by poster due to inadvertent duplication.

Last edited by StrayDog on Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:45 am; edited 1 time in total
StrayDog

Back to top Go down

Post by StrayDog Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:03 am

Brucetiki wrote:
testy wrote:

None other than former Sunday Mail editor David Penberthy.  For a former editor, it was quite a poorly worded and poorly researched article.
Isn't he on an AFL-centric commercial station these days?

"Penbo" is no bunny, and knows how to survive at the top even if it means walking away from a scrap.  He's not averse to a bit of mischief, and so I'm sure he's well aware the guernsey has been well (and proudly) worn over the last decade or so.

Last edited by StrayDog on Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Format correction.)
StrayDog

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:19 pm

i thought he was a 'dyed in the wool' Sturt man...if that is indeed correct he would have known for sure
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:56 pm

bayman wrote:i thought he was a 'dyed in the wool' Sturt man...if that is indeed correct he would have known for sure

Yeah , to my knowledge he is a Sturt man .
Southee
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum