Booney
Footy Lover
Admin
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Port Magpies 2014 Empty Port Magpies 2014

Post by Admin Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:01 am

It's a reality now that the Port Magpies of 2014 will be a completely different outfit and concept.

We welcome new supporters of this team to the forum.

For all supporters, what are your thoughts on their prospects and where will they finish.

What effect will this have on the Magpies 'brand'?  Will Magpies supporters continue to follow this team?

Last edited by Admin on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Port Magpies 2014 Empty Re: Port Magpies 2014

Post by Footy Lover Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:18 am

Think they'll be stronger than the Crows.
Footy Lover
Footy Lover

Teams : Sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:30 am

The side is the Port Adelaide Magpies, they will not be called the PAFC reserves - the only "reserves" is the Port Adelaide Magpies team playing in the SANFL reserves.

All AFL listed PAFC players will now play in the one team, the Port Adelaide Magpies in the SANFL.

This debate, the tone of this thread, continues to tire.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:51 am

I agree it is a bit tiresome, but in reality there are Port Adelaide supporters who don't see it as a one club ethos at all.

For example a Magpies Cheer Squad who openly said they would disband, rather than follow what IS effectively a Port Adelaide AFL Reserves team.

They may play under a Magpies banner, but there is now little linkage to what the Magpies were. And this will be ever so obvious from next year when the teams below the league side are no more.

This is not Port bashing, but realisation of what is now upon us.

For so many Port Adelaide Magpies supporters who have struggled (and some openly reject) to accept the Power themselves, I don't know where they now stand.

For those Port Adelaide supporters who have embraced the "One Club" ethos, then I guess this transition is not such a big difficulty to them. Probably seen more as an evolutionary thing.

However, lilke the former category of supporter (ie non-Power following Magpie supporter), the rest of the sanfl supporter base generally still struggles with the interchangeability of the Power / Magpie argument.

I guess it will only really go away when those sanfl reserves, U18s, U16s and PAFC zones are disbanded. The Prison Bar jumper will then just be a testament to the history and tradition.

The PAFC owns the "Magpie" brand and can use it how it wishes I suppose, but the actual playing rules that now govern that brand are so very different from its history and tradition, that I think this is where the average footy follower finds it hard to make an argument for the continuance of that connection.

But like you Booney, I am over it all now and the issues that surround this pale to what the sanfl (with the help of the clubs) are doing to the traditions of this league.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:53 am

Booney wrote:The side is the Port Adelaide Magpies, they will not be called the PAFC reserves - the only "reserves" is the Port Adelaide Magpies team playing in the SANFL reserves.

All AFL listed PAFC players will now play in the one team, the Port Adelaide Magpies in the SANFL.

Of course they are Port Adelaide Reserves. The only reason 3/4 of the side will be playing for them is because they want to play AFL and they happen to be drafted to the Power.

They are called Port Adelaide, they look like Port Adelaide, but in reality, there will never have been less Port Adelaide people playing for the two Port teams (AFL and SANFL) than in 2014 and beyond.

NTTIAWWT. Port Adelaide are now an AFL club and that is what AFL clubs are. You get to pick off the best (along with 17 other clubs) from all over the country. Hopefully Port Adelaide realises this privilege and responsibility and they give something back to all the country, amateur and SANFL clubs who provide you with players.

As for how the Port Magpies go in the SANFL? It doesn't really matter, as long as they are doing all they can to ensure the Power are as strong as possible.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:08 am

Booney wrote:The side is the Port Adelaide Magpies, they will not be called the PAFC reserves - the only "reserves" is the Port Adelaide Magpies team playing in the SANFL reserves.

Title amended, Booney, but we all have to deal with a new reality.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mark beswick Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:22 pm

A brand new club - Magpies Football Club on my database.

One could argue that when the magpies and power united, the afl club is a new club with no premierships Very Happy 
mark beswick
mark beswick

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:26 am

Booney wrote:The side is the Port Adelaide Magpies, they will not be called the PAFC reserves -
I bet they will by everyone involved in the AFL.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:28 am

wolves wrote:A brand new club - Magpies Football Club on my database.

One could argue that when the magpies and power united, the afl club is a new club with no premierships Very Happy 
Of all the cock-a-donkey drivel I have read on the matter, this takes the cake.

Well played sir, well played.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:28 am

Why is it that I conjure up visions of Booney as Leonidas at Thermopylae at these times.

Will the result be different? Port Magpies 2014 3991484760 Port Magpies 2014 1654271768 Very Happy 
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:45 am

Just need to strategically place that scabbard of mine....Wink
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:13 pm

My better judgement tells me to stay out of this. But then when did I last take any notice of that? Rolling Eyes Unless you believe that the tail is going to wag the dog, the reality is that they are the Power AFL reserves. If in the next couple of years the Crows decide their arrangement isn't working and they take over Sturt. Which is a recurring nightmare of mine, and not beyond the realms of probability. The Sturt Football Club would cease to exist for me, no matter how they dressed it up. There's no way that I would ever be able to talk myself into believing otherwise. Booney, I don't want to start a fight with you or anyone else. But that's just the way I see it and I suspect a great many other supporters of all clubs see it too.
countrycousin
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:22 pm

It's like the holy trinity. 2 teams are one club. Don't question, just believe. Wink 

In all seriousness though it should've been this way all along for Port Adelaide. The whole 'which one is the real Port Adelaide' argument has really hurt their brand and split their supporter base in the past.

It's coming back together now under Koch and co though.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:50 pm

countrycousin wrote:My better judgement tells me to stay out of this. But then when did I last take any notice of that? Rolling Eyes Unless you believe that the tail is going to wag the dog, the reality is that they are the Power AFL reserves. If in the next couple of years the Crows decide their arrangement isn't working and they take over Sturt. Which is a recurring nightmare of mine, and not beyond the realms of probability. The Sturt Football Club would cease to exist for me, no matter how they dressed it up. There's no way that I would ever be able to talk myself into believing otherwise. Booney, I don't want to start a fight with you or anyone else. But that's just the way I see it and I suspect a great many other supporters of all clubs see it too.
Similar argument, but not quite the same.

Port at least share the same DNA.
Sturt / Crows - would be related as closely as a Congan tribesman to an English Lord.

But yes a takeover, is a takeover.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:45 pm

''a takeover is a takeover'' which usually is for financial reasons which is bad enough .....but a rollover (as we've seen) should never ever have happened....i doubt the Crows would take over any club facing huge debts as they would then takeover those debts as well, i believe one club was happy for the Crows to take them over/join or whatever phrase you like from next year
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:25 pm

Gingernuts wrote:It's like the holy trinity. 2 teams are one club. Don't question, just believe. Wink 
In the name of the Power, the Magpies and the holy Williams Laughing 

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:26 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Gingernuts wrote:It's like the holy trinity. 2 teams are one club. Don't question, just believe. Wink 
In the name of the Power, the Magpies and the holy Williams Laughing 
And I thought it was the Father (Fos), the son (Mark) and the Holy Ghost.
But then I thought Rohan Smith retired back in the 90s. Shocked 
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:51 am

The delisting by Hawthorn of former Port Magpie Derick Wanganeen throws up an interesting scenario. He once again becomes a Port player upon his return to Adelaide, but could only be signed as a top-up player earning $400 a week. (And that's only when they have injuries meaning there is a spot for him to get a game.)

And other SANFL clubs interested in signing him would only have to pay 50% of the usual transfer fee for an ex-AFL player.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:37 am

Yes. Your point about top up players only being able to play if there are injuries is vital to this whole arrangement.

I presume all listed (including rookies( players available for selection have to play in the League team. If not, you can give them the Cup now, so this must be strictly monitored.

Under those conditions, you's have to really examine the reason why any current Magpies player would sign on for $400 a game with no guarantee of playing League.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:06 pm

I think the sanfl are going to have to look at these rules for returning Port players.

In essence they are not the Magpies anymore aligned to the PAMFC, so should they automatically return to the PAFC Reserves by default?

As of 2015 all of that old Magpies infrastructure will not exist, so I think this further dilutes the argument for their return to Port.

If they want to be a top up player, then fine. But I guess the question begs whether the return should be automatic.

And following on from that, I don't think any transfer fee should apply.

Another example of how the sanfl has become compromised with messy rules catering to 2 clubs and different ones for the other 8.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:16 pm

This scenario was always going to be messy by allowing these two sides into the SANFL.

Top up players for me is going to be the interesting thing (for the cows) and I will be very surprised if any SANFL clubs are going to release players to play for an opponent.

I certainly am against my club doing this and have let them know very clearly. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by mark beswick Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:38 pm

I am standing for Board at Westies and I have made my opinions clear to all current board members and sanfl commissioners involved with the WAFC - I will be against it every time it is raised
mark beswick
mark beswick

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:43 pm

vote 1, vote wolves
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by mark beswick Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:55 pm

I promised many people I'd run if my club voted for the crows hence I have to keep my word now pirat :
mark beswick
mark beswick

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:31 pm

Well done wolves, it is nice to see someone actually have the fortitude to go through with something as important as this.

Let us hope that you have the knowledge to handle the manipulation that you may be put through and you never get disillusioned on how the powers that be run football clubs to the advantage of the free drink, a free meal and a free ticket in the grandstand.

Good luck and wise decision making
the prowler
the prowler

Teams : South,Crows, Hectorville
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next