Flag No.10
howthewestwaswon
eartotheground
Big Phil
8 posters

Go down

Roy Laird Rumour Empty Roy Laird Rumour

Post by Big Phil Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:16 am

It was mentioned on 5AA that Roy has supposedly told Kris Grant he will not coach Central next year due to to family and business constraints. He has recently become owner of a Real Estate firm in the Northern suburbs and, from memory, has 3 kids all under 6 or 7 years of age. Will be interesting to see what unfolds here at the end of the season.

If it was to eventuate, I wonder who will be the next coach of the CDFC - It certainly would be a strange feeling to not see Roy in charge. He has been a brilliant coach, his record speaks for itself and it would obviously be a massive blow to the Dogs should he not be coaching them next year. But, as they say, all good things must come to an end.

Begs the question as to who would be the next coach of CDFC, if the rumour is in fact true?

Here are a few names that spring to mind for me...

Jeff Brown (current Doggies reserves coach and very loyal club man)

Stuart Dew (linked by Francou to the Power job, former Dogs player of course)

Matthew Primus (was linked in the paper today to Norwood job post Bassett, may want to stay in SA)

Mick Malthouse (just joking, but he has previously applied to coach the Doggies, back in the 80's, I think?)

Matthew Slade (former player and is currently an Assistant Coach at North Adelaide)

Grant Coffee (former player and underage coach, currently working in the media)

Chris & James Gowans (we know the Twins are passionate about the club - 2 senior coaches, perhaps?)

Daniel Healy (of course we know what happened at North but has coached Dogs reserves before)

Scott Lee (former player and Reserves coach, currently in charge of South Gawler in the Barossa League)

John Platten (club legend and currently an assistant to Roy as the midfield coach)

Gavin Chaplin (long term assistant coach, formerly in charge of reserves and loyal club man)

Peter Jonas (of course first Premiership coach, currently working with the Crows as development coach)

Of course the club would advertise nationally and with a standing as one of the best modern day football clubs in the land, no doubt there will be some quality candidates putting their names forward. All this is of course just hearsay but it does get you thinking about life for Central post Roy Laird.

If all this is true and Roy is in fact not going to be in charge of the Bulldogs next year, I'd personally like to see someone like Jeff Brown or Gavin Chaplin be given the job, especially as they are both great club men and have been loyal to the Dogs for a long time.
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Roy Laird Rumour Empty Re: Roy Laird Rumour

Post by eartotheground Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:41 am

Interesting list.

At least 2 people the club has had general chats with about this topic, over the past few weeks are listed.
eartotheground
eartotheground

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:43 am

eartotheground wrote:Interesting list.

At least 2 people the club has had general chats with about this topic, over the past few weeks are listed.
I'd suspect they would be Brown and Chaplin, probably?

Or maybe the Twins?

Last edited by Big Phil on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:44 am

An interesting one with Primus. Should he be successful at another gig, then clearly his Power failure at Alberton was not him, but his players (something that I tend to believe ATM - although I also believe he wasn't tough enough on his players).

My personal belief is that ruckmen do not make good coaches except in the one area/position they played in.

I even think that Primus would struggle at Elizabeth as clearly the club will have to embark on a 'rebuilding' stage somewhere in the next few years.

Other than that, there are some very good and interesting candidates on that list BP, however they are all home-grown. This all makes very good speculation in the meantime.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by eartotheground Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:51 am

That should have read NOT listed.
eartotheground
eartotheground

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:47 pm

eartotheground wrote:That should have read NOT listed.

Ah, okay...

Rick MacGowan and Nathan Steinberner, perhaps?
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:32 pm

Big Phil wrote: I'd personally like to see someone like Jeff Brown or Gavin Chaplin be given the job, especially as they are both great club men and have been loyal to the Dogs for a long time.

BP, wouldn't you want the best available candidate, regardless of any connection to Centrals?

Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:10 pm

IF this all is true and the Dogs need to find a new coach, of course I would Flaggy, but I also feel that both Brown and Chaplin would be up there with the best possible candidates...
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by bayman Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:29 pm

whether this rumour is true or not, the burning thought in my mind is whoever & whenever Roy moves on the successor will be on a hiding to nothing
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:59 pm

Bit like Roy was coming in in 2003 after 3 straight grand final appearances and two flags.
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:50 pm

PhilH wrote:Bit like Roy was coming in in 2003 after 3 straight grand final appearances and two flags.

absoulutely
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:35 pm

Story on Roy, from Localfootysa...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/lairds-future-uncertain/story-e6freckc-1226455165091
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:08 pm

interesting they say Central are flag favourites Shocked (just under picture) so whoever wrote that what price will you give me Norwood ?
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:26 pm

bayman wrote:interesting they say Central are flag favourites Shocked (just under picture) so whoever wrote that what price will you give me Norwood ?
I'm almost certain that is a file photo that they have used from an article last year. Reckon they've re-used the pic and forgot to change or remove the text underneath...
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:30 pm

Big Phil wrote:
bayman wrote:interesting they say Central are flag favourites Shocked (just under picture) so whoever wrote that what price will you give me Norwood ?
I'm almost certain that is a file photo that they have used from an article last year. Reckon they've re-used the pic and forgot to change or remove the text underneath...

thanks BP,
professionals & proof readers at work then Laughing Laughing
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:36 pm

bayman wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

thanks BP,
professionals & proof readers at work then Laughing Laughing
They don't have proof readers anymore, I don't think - they can't afford them !!!
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:21 pm

Funnily enough Media Watch discussed the issue of re-using stock images last night, which included references to News Limited's downsizing it's photographic resources, which would explain the erroneous caption http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s3571905.htm

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down